ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   baffeld, accusump vs dry sump (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/830041-baffeld-accusump-vs-dry-sump.html)

worbs 29 April 2010 10:02 AM

baffeld, accusump vs dry sump

I realise there is really no comparison and the dry sump system is better hands down, but, what would peoples opinion`s/experiances be with a baffled sump and the accusump system used together ?

Given the cost of a dry sump system i`d like to look into alternative means of trying to avoid engine damage due to air being pulled into the oil pump under hard cornering etc, im defiantly going to use the car on track when its finished and i may even enter a few rounds of time attack next year hence the reason for looking into this.

Cheers in advance :thumb:

Ian

ZEN Performance 29 April 2010 11:10 AM

Baffled sump+accusump+catch cans+return to sump = nearly dry sump money.

Plenty of people will spend the extra on a better ECU with better features and more safey, why not on a proper oiling system?

dynamix 29 April 2010 11:15 AM

Ian - dry sump is cheap in comparison to the baffled sump, catch cans, cosworth oil pump, accusump plus the potential cost of those still not being enough ..

Dry Sump all the way.

Shame to risk it IMO.

Jamz_ 29 April 2010 11:34 AM

What kinda prices are we looking at for a dry sump? What kits are available? This is something too I have been looking at, and have just been reading an article on the accusump's in a mag.

I was going to post this exact same question

dynamix 29 April 2010 11:37 AM

Speak to Paul at Zen about their dry sump. It is proven to work well on my car, on their car and others and is reasonably priced too.

If it saves an engine it has paid for itself.

Jamz_ 29 April 2010 11:52 AM

I take it the whole engine has to come out to fit one of these? unless it just replaces the sump and the oil falls into a tray that gets pumped to a oil holding tank?

dynamix 29 April 2010 12:18 PM

Jamz - read my project thread from the end of last year - all the info, photos and stuff is in there.

I fitted mine with the engine in.

Jamz_ 29 April 2010 12:45 PM

Cheers Duncan,

Just had a look... Quite a big ish job, and looks rather expensive (i know its not as expensive as an engine rebuild) but is it really less then getting a baffled sump ect?

For anyone else that wants to see the kit, see here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/740564-rac...-a-14.html#399

dynamix 29 April 2010 12:50 PM

speak to paul re prices - dont rule it out on the basis of how expensive it looks

Jamz_ 29 April 2010 01:45 PM

Email sent (i hope, their website doenst say if its been sent or not lol)

dynamix 29 April 2010 02:55 PM

Pals direct email and telephone number are in his post above.

worbs 29 April 2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZEN Performance (Post 9370481)
Baffled sump+accusump+catch cans+return to sump = nearly dry sump money.

Plenty of people will spend the extra on a better ECU with better features and more safey, why not on a proper oiling system?

i see what your saying mate, i didn`t realise the accusump and baffle set up would cost nearly as much as a dry sump system.

Would you pm me a price for a full dry sump set up kit please fella.

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9370489)
Ian - dry sump is cheap in comparison to the baffled sump, catch cans, cosworth oil pump, accusump plus the potential cost of those still not being enough ..

Dry Sump all the way.

Shame to risk it IMO.

As above fella i didn`t realise the costs would be similar, and like you say if it is not enough then its a possible full rebuild, and we both know my luck mate hey :nono:

Did you fit yours? is it something i could do would you say mate.

Originally Posted by Jamz_ (Post 9370760)
Email sent (i hope, their website doenst say if its been sent or not lol)

Jamz maybe we should see if we buy 2 we get a discounted rate :norty: lol

dynamix 30 April 2010 06:58 AM

Ian - i fitted mine, it was the first kit so a learning experience as we figured where and how best to sort and route pipework. That has all been done now so it is a much quicker process and someone of your skills should have no problem doing it.

worbs 30 April 2010 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9372177)
Ian - i fitted mine, it was the first kit so a learning experience as we figured where and how best to sort and route pipework. That has all been done now so it is a much quicker process and someone of your skills should have no problem doing it.

Cost is my only factor at present mate, as you no im doing the build bit by bit saving money from each months pay (quickly though so the mrs cant see it :lol1:).

What would you say to this approch fella, i finish build using a baffled sump, get some track time in, i have no track experiance as of yet, when and if i get to a level where i would need it then go for the dry sump.
Iv wanted to do time attack for years mate as we used to speak about when doing my first build but so many factors just wouldn`t allow it then, now im in a better position i`d like to try and get there, eventually lol.

Would i be in your opinion ok learning on track with a baffled sump?

dynamix 30 April 2010 03:23 PM

Yeah probably fine but why spend the money twice?

worbs 30 April 2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9372951)
Yeah probably fine but why spend the money twice?

It would take me an extra 5-6 months to put the money away for the dry sump mate, i could get the baffled one, use the car and when iv saved then go from there, sell the baffled to put towards, just hate the thought of having to wait longer for the car to be finished in all reality mate.

dynamix 30 April 2010 07:18 PM

fair enough :thumb:

Jamz_ 30 April 2010 11:09 PM

Baffled sump = 200... dry sump = 3000, easy for me to get 200 for the time being instead of 3000 lol