ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   road tax (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/829634-road-tax.html)

WRX_Dazza 26 April 2010 08:08 PM

road tax

anyone know if i can tax a car even though the renewal notice isn't in my name?

:wonder:

intergrale4x4 26 April 2010 08:12 PM

I tax cars all the time and I've never been asked for proof of ID but if your insurance doc's are in a diffrent name to the renewal you may be asked about it then you'll have to fill in a V62 in your name but you'll still get your disk.
Craig

Spec'c'57 26 April 2010 08:12 PM

do you have the green part of the logbook?

Spec'c'57 26 April 2010 08:14 PM

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/DG_069680

WRX_Dazza 26 April 2010 08:18 PM

thanks guys, yep, have the little log book slip and all other docs, so will try and blag it in the post office :) caught between ownership, dont want to apply online and it goes to the previous owner lo :)

Diesel_DC 26 April 2010 08:21 PM

Just tell em you've just bought a diesel mondeo.

They will think your an absolute fruit cake and take pity on you ;)

WRX_Dazza 26 April 2010 08:22 PM

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

it's only loose change to tax it :thumb:

Diesel_DC 26 April 2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza (Post 9365831)
:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

it's only loose change to tax it :thumb:

couple of days parking fees at hornchurch station ;)

WRX_Dazza 26 April 2010 08:34 PM

dont be silly mate, i cant use it as a daily runner, do you think i'm minted?

yellowvanman 26 April 2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza (Post 9365817)
thanks guys, yep, have the little log book slip and all other docs, so will try and blag it in the post office :) caught between ownership, dont want to apply online and it goes to the previous owner lo :)

Good luck, they would not do the mazda, without all the docs, I said to them that it would validate online, but no.
Went home and did it on line, no issues, just had to wait a few days for the disk to arrive.

Diesel_DC 26 April 2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by yellowvanman (Post 9365916)
Good luck, they would not do the mazda, without me wearing the flat cap and goggles, I said to them that it would validate online, but no.
Went home and did it on line, no issues, just had to wait a few days for the disk to arrive.

EFA ;)

Arkwright 26 April 2010 09:11 PM

Dazza as Neil states try it online. I do all ours online and even some of my customers bring their`s in for me to do. Only takes a few minutes and it arrives in about 2 days. :thumb:
Post offices are a pain and full of jobsworths :brickwall

yellowvanman 26 April 2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by V6GOLF_DC (Post 9365932)
EFA ;)

Ha Ha, very funny :p

Ok if you must know, they would serve me unless I could prove my memberships to the Hairdressers Council!

http://www.identity-uk.com/images/lo...uncil_logo.jpg

Diesel_DC 26 April 2010 09:17 PM

lol

intergrale4x4 27 April 2010 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by yellowvanman (Post 9365916)
Good luck, they would not do the mazda, without all the docs, I said to them that it would validate online, but no.

Find an "Asian" post office ;)

yellowvanman 27 April 2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4 (Post 9366344)

Guess we must have the wrong kind of 'Asian' post office :brickwall

Nurse Gladys 27 April 2010 07:05 AM

But he WANTS to do it at the Post Office so he can join all his OAP friends and chat about their Diesel Mondeos.......! :p:luvlove:

WRX_Dazza 27 April 2010 07:51 AM

ha bladdy ha you lot !!

cant do it online as the tax will go to the old keeper :(

not received new log book yet.

i'll wing it at the PO and might enquire about pensions and premium bonds while i'm there ;)

yellowvanman 27 April 2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza (Post 9366432)
ha bladdy ha you lot !!

cant do it online as the tax will go to the old keeper :(

not received new log book yet.

i'll wing it at the PO and might enquire about pensions and premium bonds while i'm there ;)

Dazza, I did not have the new log book, just the little slip you get, so try it on line, the data is obviously updated earlier than when you get the paper copy.

Nate 27 April 2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4 (Post 9366344)

Originally Posted by yellowvanman (Post 9366392)

Try this one then ;)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...18883&t=h&z=16

Arkwright 27 April 2010 08:17 AM

Dazza you should know if I can do it with my superior computer skills :norty: You can do it :thumb:
Now where`s that reset button on Hil`s computer ? :D

WRX_Dazza 27 April 2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 9366461)

:lol1:

might get there on one tank ;)

intergrale4x4 27 April 2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by yellowvanman (Post 9366392)

No I meant they are always very helpfull and easy to deal with unlike some of the "Jobsworth" there are about

Craig

Adidas 27 April 2010 09:17 AM

Dazza,

As long as you're certain the previous keeper/trader has sent off the V5C, then give it a couple of days then you'll be able to do it online, thats what we did when we got the Kuga. Worked a treat :)

53 27 April 2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4 (Post 9366492)
No I meant they are always very helpfull and easy to deal with unlike some of the "Jobsworth" there are about

Craig

They do like to curry favour with the locals..............I'll get my coat ! :lol1:

Nurse Gladys 27 April 2010 09:29 AM

Dazza re your original post - you say the reminder isn't in your name - you can still tax it without a reminder IF you have the reference number from the log book - not sure if that is shown on the log book slip?

Road tax - you need a valid tax disc to avoid a fine
If you're driving or storing your car on a public road you need to pay road tax (also known as vehicle tax or car tax). To show that your tax is up to date you need to display a valid tax disc in your front window. Road tax can be renewed 6-monthly or yearly, depending how much you want to pay at one time.

Renewing your tax disc should be straightforward - you should receive a reminder form in the post about 2 weeks before your current disc runs out. You can use a reference number from this form to renew at a post office, online or on the phone. If you don't have a renewal reminder, you will need a reference number from your car registration certificate.
In order to renew your road tax, you also need a valid MOT certificate (if your car is over 3 years old) and valid insurance. This is normally done by showing certificates at the post office, or can be checked on a computer if you renew online or on the phone.

Read more: Road Tax, MOT, Insurance - What to Remember if You Own a Car
http://www.whatprice.co.uk

V4JDMSTi 27 April 2010 11:08 AM

Dazza - Pitsea Tesco post office. :thumb:

However any post office will do it within 30 days of purchase and have the (new keeper suppliment) green slip part of the old v5. This counts as your log book for proof of ownership until the new one arrives. Just make sure you have the mot and insurance cert and you'll get your disc no problem. No need for the tax reminder within this time period. :thumb: