ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Newage rattling?! Spare wheel? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/829277-newage-rattling-spare-wheel.html)

lloydee 24 April 2010 04:16 PM

Newage rattling?! Spare wheel?

I'm getting a very annoying rattling sound coming from the boot.

Have an STI8 spoiler fitted so thinking it could be that but the fit seems secure, so I'm thinking it might be the spare wheel well, ie. the screw that keeps it in place, or maybe its the jack hitting the shell of the car?

Anyone else experience rattling from their scoob?
Any ideas what it might be?
I'm thinking to ditch the jack spare wheel and screw and see if it'll stop:norty:

powerwrx 24 April 2010 04:32 PM

mine rattles/squeeks when i go over any bumps im pretty sure its the high level spoiler

f1_fan 24 April 2010 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by lloydee (Post 9362301)
I'm getting a very annoying rattling sound coming from the boot.

Have an STI8 spoiler fitted so thinking it could be that but the fit seems secure, so I'm thinking it might be the spare wheel well, ie. the screw that keeps it in place, or maybe its the jack hitting the shell of the car?

Anyone else experience rattling from their scoob?
Any ideas what it might be?
I'm thinking to ditch the jack spare wheel and screw and see if it'll stop:norty:

What model of Scoob? Might be the famous rattly rear struts if it is a new age car. Had 3 sets under warranty on my 03 STI before I gave in and put something else on.

silver demon 24 April 2010 08:56 PM

Hi
If you have a WRX and have fitted an STI large spoiler you'll find the extra weight of the new spoiler squashes the rubber boot lid stoppers, this then makes the boot lid catch rattle.

Subaru do an uprated boot spring (fitted to STI's as standard) which counter acts the extra weight, or you can add a little extra rubber padding under the boot stoppers.

Hope this helps

Lee.

B0DSKI 24 April 2010 09:01 PM

Check the jack's not come loose.

Jamiesti01 24 April 2010 09:03 PM

Have you got a rear strut brace in your boot? mine was rattling due to the 17mm bolts slighty loose, just an idea.:thumb:

powerwrx 24 April 2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by silver demon (Post 9362671)
Hi
If you have a WRX and have fitted an STI large spoiler you'll find the extra weight of the new spoiler squashes the rubber boot lid stoppers, this then makes the boot lid catch rattle.

Subaru do an uprated boot spring (fitted to STI's as standard) which counter acts the extra weight, or you can add a little extra rubber padding under the boot stoppers.

Hope this helps

Lee.

where can i get one of these springs and where abouts does it go

lloydee 25 April 2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9362334)
What model of Scoob? Might be the famous rattly rear struts if it is a new age car. Had 3 sets under warranty on my 03 STI before I gave in and put something else on.

It's an 06 wrx

lloydee 25 April 2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by silver demon (Post 9362671)
Hi

Hope this helps

Lee.

Yes, where can you get the said part?
I'm willing to give this a try

silver demon 25 April 2010 09:17 PM

I'd try a Subaru dealer, The part used to be listed along with the STI Spoiler on the Subaru site. The uprated tension bar was a recommended part after fitting the STI spoiler to a WRX.

The bar is black and located in the boot underneath the rear window ish (if I remember right)

robbie-mac 25 April 2010 09:57 PM

This might sound daft but it was the cure to my rattle in my boot, I have 2006 STI. When you open the boot and look under the rear parcel shelf. You'l see the holes where poss speakers might be fitted, inbetween that you will see a black box jutting out that covers the spool for the 3rd diagonal seat belt. Tap this box and you will notice it makes a rattle noise. There is no proper fixing between this black cover and the metal. I placed some foam tape and this got rid of that annoying rattle.

Hope this is of help to you.