ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Windows2000 Server, two network cards, can you... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/82915-windows2000-server-two-network-cards-can-you.html)

ChristianR 27 March 2002 08:49 AM

Hi,

Have a few rather nice new compaq proliants in, comes built with 2network cards, now, can you make it so one network card sends, and the other recieves? like how novel used to be?

this server is going to be the pdc, other ones for exchange 2000.

David_Wallis 27 March 2002 09:05 AM

What Network cards are they?? Are they compaq cards?

What switches do you use?

As the best you can probably manage is to establish a team... click on the network icon on the taskbar, highlight both cards and choose establish team, you can then assign all ip address info to the team... you can then do load balanced team which is about the best you can do... Your switches should ideally be cisco or compaq smart switches... but it may just be anything that supports spanning tree...

Let me know if you need anymore info..

David

fast bloke 27 March 2002 10:01 AM

what he says - Load balanced cards should be way more efficient than only in or only out cards

tntsystems 28 March 2002 12:29 AM

it is possible, particluarly on intel chipset cards, to use redundancy (where one card is there toi spoof the other if a failure occurs) or as seperate ip addresses, or even the same, as long as they arent BOTH connected to the same segement, depends what u wanna do, email me if you want more advice, p.s. i am a UNIX/NT server technician and i dont wanna blind anyone with science on this board.. :D

dowser 28 March 2002 08:44 AM

Depends if you want performance or availability - for performance set-up teaming to send from both concurrently (& if both ports connected into the *same* 'aware' switch - it can be etherchannelled to also offer 200Mbps to the server).

Availabilty requires separate switches - so no etherchannel, and set up the team to switch on fail-over.

If you want performance, 1st check to see whether your hardware can actually shift data off the drive onto the LAN at anything more than 60Mbps (7.5Mbytes/sec) speed first - I'd go for for resilience...it's generally sufficient unless you're running huge filers...certainly will be for a PDC ;)

Richard

David_Wallis 28 March 2002 12:28 PM

Most compaq cards use the intel chipset.... You can do fail on fault - manual - automatic - and smart switching.... depends on your network to whether it will like it even on another segment as it just spoofs the mac address...

If its something like a dl360 dl380 etc... why dont you just run fail on fault, and give it 100mb full duplex.. which would give you 25mb per second throughput and if your pdc is doing this then you really need to consider lots more bdc's and ideally your exchange server shouldnt be doing that sort of throughput!!..

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 3/28/2002 12:28:59 PM]