ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/828990-2008-2010-2-5ltr-engine-failures.html)

urban 22 April 2010 04:53 PM

2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures

As stated in previous post - this could be very useful

Date bought:xx/xx/xxxx
Mileage:
Date of failure:xx/xx/xxxx
Mileage:
Outcome:

If VOSA or someone else needs to get involved then we'll have lots of information available from the start

ARRON BIRD 22 April 2010 05:34 PM

Bought May ish 09 failed at 8500 miles bout Jan
Short engine after IM blamed me for it running out of oil???
I argued the case and mentioned about cars that had failed

Paul666 22 April 2010 06:28 PM

Date bought: May 2008
Mileage: 0
Date of failure: Oct 2008
Mileage: 3500
Outcome: Short engine.

rb5 286 23 April 2010 11:00 AM

Date bought:June 09
Mileage: 0
Date of failure:17/4/
Mileage: 7500
Outcome: pending
Diagnosise: Pistons 2 & 4 low compression

PPP ECU

informed that due to my magnaflow cat back exhaust system the warranty was void - contacted IM Managing director and was told as a goodwill gesture they will get repair work done, supplied a courtesy car (AMG Merc C180) until its repaired.

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...neerreport.jpg

The Trooper 1815 23 April 2010 12:22 PM

Posted the link on SIDC :thumb:

urban 23 April 2010 02:05 PM

Good man - cheers.

f1_fan 23 April 2010 02:19 PM

urban,

Can I make a polite enquiry here. Are you going to collate this information into 1 post i.e. as a grid layout or the likes? Might be a good idea.

Also PM the mods and ask it to be made a sticky as I think this is a pretty important thread given the probs some seem to have getting IM to honour the warranty.

urban 23 April 2010 02:37 PM

I guess - yes.
Seems I.M are making some warranty claims most awkward for some folk.
So the more information we all have in one place then the better - IMO.

rasheedn 23 April 2010 06:28 PM

Date bought:01/01/2009
Mileage:10
Date of failure:april 2009
Mileage: 6000 km
Outcome: 2 broken pistons

argued for hours and days (i was not blamed for anything) and managed to get them to install drop in forged pistons(wiseco) in a brand new shortblock (with the nitraded crank)

the clearances r **** and i got one noisy engine! even when warm (doesnt eat much oil)

running 1.7 Bar on ATP 3076 with 50% meth since dec and not a problem

lets see how long it lasts hehe

all the way in israel ... (we get euro cars mine is an R spec )

jsfb 23 April 2010 10:04 PM

Date bought: March 2009
Mileage: 7000 IM owned car
Date of failure: June 2009
Mileage: 10000
Outcome: Replaced piston. piston ring failure.

Date bought: March 2009
Mileage: 7000
Date of failure: Febuary 2010
Mileage: 15000
Outcome: big end failure - short block replaced after several phonecalls to dealer and IM

IM and dealer blamed the oil level for the first failure but had only been topped up 30 miles before failure.
IM blamed the dealer and my driving style for the second failure after intially telling me that this had not happened to any other stis.
IM full of sh*t
Refused to take the car back after second failure and eventually sold it back to the dealer. will never buy another IM car again. If anybody is thinking about buying one first advice would be dont or buy a jap one from litchfields.
Tried to get IM to extend the warrenty on the engine only extra 30k but refused to do it so obviously they have no confidence in there products. Hoping the recession keeps going long enough that they go bust.

Dave_P 23 April 2010 10:18 PM

Date bought: Feb 2008
Mileage at Failure: 8K
Date of failure: August 2008
Current Mileage: 32K
Outcome: ringland failure number 3 piston (first factory ECU map caused det & failure). IM Group provided a hire car and replaced the short engine under warranty. After running in new short engine went for Milltek turbo back exhaust system with Forge CAI and bespoke re-map, been running 355bhp to 365bhp with no problems for last 23K miles (touch wood)

ARRON BIRD 24 April 2010 02:23 PM

Sounds like a re map or CUSTOM map is all that is really needed????

urban 24 April 2010 11:26 PM

How many are PPP maps?

rb5 286 25 April 2010 11:07 AM

added to mine, PPP ECU

Dave_P 25 April 2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9362904)
How many are PPP maps?

Which one, I heard the first PPP map was updated (re-flash by the dealer) because of det and that the second map cures it (I would still prefer a bespoke map though thanks)

urban 25 April 2010 01:59 PM

I got confirmation that the PPP map didn't have an update before I bought the 330S - from Prodrive themselves

renny 25 April 2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9363483)
I got confirmation that the PPP map didn't have an update before I bought the 330S - from Prodrive themselves

How would I go about finding out if my 330S has had the updated map?

It's a March '09 reg with 1900 miles on the clock.

With the low miles I do I'm concerned it'll be out of warranty if it went pop!

Cheers :)

vulnax999 25 April 2010 06:39 PM

Mine ( 330S ) was in for an oil change last week, and it had a service recall code on the paperwork. Service manager said it was for piston damage / ECU, but he thought the 330S was already fixed with the PPP ecu they use for 330S and PPP STi's.

On collection he said it was all right ...

urban 26 April 2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by renny (Post 9363619)
How would I go about finding out if my 330S has had the updated map?

It's a March '09 reg with 1900 miles on the clock.

With the low miles I do I'm concerned it'll be out of warranty if it went pop!

Cheers :)

Email Subaru or Prodrive

stuart2008sti 26 April 2010 02:28 PM

Date bought: Feb 08
Mileage: 4
Date of failure: Dec 08
Mileage: 9000
Outcome: Replaced piston,turbo as had cracked,bigends,mains.

Date bought: Feb 08
Mileage: 320
Date of failure: One week after having back
Mileage:
Outcome: big end failure - short block replaced after phonecalls to dealer and IM who tried to blame me.

renny 26 April 2010 04:00 PM

Does anybody have an email address for Subaru / Subaru Technical / Customer Care?

They only have postal or telephone contact details on their website - would prefer contact by email so it's all in writing.:)

scooby L 26 April 2010 04:38 PM

If you're going to contact them in writing, do it the old fashioned way!
(Recorded mail obviously)

I.M. Group Limited
I.M. House
South Drive
Coleshill
B46 1DF
United Kingdom

mickp 26 April 2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by renny (Post 9365278)
Does anybody have an email address for Subaru / Subaru Technical / Customer Care?

They only have postal or telephone contact details on their website - would prefer contact by email so it's all in writing.:)

I think i will also drop Subaru a letter re the engine failures. I am on 8000 miles and whist the car does not use any oil you just can't ignore what others are going through.

Come on Subaru, take this seriously, don't wait for pistons to fail, take steps to prevent future failures.

Subaru Impreza drivers are in my experience an incredibly loyal bunch but just read how many people are now choosing to jump ship. Action not silence is surely required ;)

jsfb 26 April 2010 10:15 PM

IM dont seem to care at all about there customers.

AHogg@imgroup.co.uk this is the guy at IM to contact if you want to complain about the exploding engines might as well find a brick wall to hit yourself off.

jsfb 26 April 2010 10:22 PM

Dont bother looking for an extended warrenty. See IM response below

Adrian Hogg (AHogg@imgroup.co.uk)
Sent: 16 March 2010 16:33:43
To: James Blair

Re: Subaru Impreza JF1GRFKH38

I have now had the opportunity to investigate your request for an extension to the manufacturers warranty applied to your vehicle.

The manufacturers warranty applied to vehicles we supply is comprehensive but the period of warranty cover is not extended as a result of warranty repairs being required and the warranty does not include inconvenience or expenses caused as a result of loss of use of the vehicle.

Our records indicate we did authorise and fund a hire car for your use in order to minimise any inconvenience caused whilst your vehicle was unavailable.

We have no reason to believe there was a latent or inherent fault with your vehicle when supplied.

Our records indicate you have been without the use of your vehicle for approximately one month whilst repairs were being undertaken and we are as a goodwill gesture, in addition to the funding of the replacement vehicle already offered, prepared to extend the period of the warranty applied to the engine fitted to your vehicle for a period of one month beyond the expiry of the manufacturers warranty. The engine warranty will expire when the vehicle is 37 months old or at 60,000 miles whichever is soonest.

I am confident that your vehicle given considerate use and serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations will prove reliable and durable henceforward and hope your faith in our brand will be restored in the fullness of time.

Yours sincerely

Adrian D Hogg

Barty77 26 April 2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by jsfb (Post 9366131)
IM dont seem to care at all about there customers.

AHogg@imgroup.co.uk this is the guy at IM to contact if you want to complain about the exploding engines might as well find a brick wall to hit yourself off.

lol ive had run ins with him he is a tosser. says he will sort out warranty claims then does fook all about it and says he didnt say anything.... i called from work and had the cheeky fecker on tape :) £1000 new spoiler thanks Mr Hogg!

renny 27 April 2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by scooby L (Post 9365355)
If you're going to contact them in writing, do it the old fashioned way!
(Recorded mail obviously)

I.M. Group Limited
I.M. House
South Drive
Coleshill
B46 1DF
United Kingdom

Cheers - has anyone actually written to this address and if so was a reply forthcoming?

Dibs 02 May 2010 08:33 PM

Anyone else see this failure on Evo?

Dibs :cool:

mickp 03 May 2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dibs (Post 9376989)
Anyone else see this failure on Evo?

Dibs :cool:

And still silence from Subaru :nono::nono::nono:

It ain't good enough IMHO. The damage this situation is doing to Subaru is huge.

They must act to show they value there reputation (and customers :thumb:)

vulnax999 03 May 2010 09:27 PM

Thing is, outside of these forums and other clubs perhaps, who knows of this problem for Subaru?

It's not widely publicised like the Toyota issue.

So maybe Subaru are just ignoring the problem and keeping it quiet?