ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   7500 miles done, engine gone, Subaru saying warranty is invalid (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/828933-7500-miles-done-engine-gone-subaru-saying-warranty-is-invalid.html)

rb5 286 22 April 2010 09:27 AM

7500 miles done, engine gone, Subaru saying warranty is invalid

because I fitted a cat back exhaust!!!

Pistons 2 & 3 are showing low compression on tests.

I know there have been other hatch engines with same problems on standard/PPP exhausts!!!

so they cant go ****in me off with that excuse that it was down to my exhaust making the engine go.

I think its time to get trading standards and watchdog involved

rb5 286 22 April 2010 09:43 AM

Update: Spoken to Adrian Hogg of Subaru UK, they are saying that because i removed the cat from the I have invalidated the warranty

thats amazing considering i have fitted a CAT BACK system!!!

Awaiting a call back as he said AMC told them the cats have been removed.

DaveBeck 22 April 2010 09:45 AM

Do they not make it clear that they will not cover warranty if you modify the engine?

Really feel for you mate as its bollox but a get out clause they can use :(

DaveBeck 22 April 2010 09:45 AM

Do they not make it clear that they will not cover warranty if you modify the engine?

Really feel for you mate as its bollox but a get out clause they can use :(

53 22 April 2010 09:53 AM

I would think it unwise to pi55 off the RB320/RB5 OC Chairman ! Time for Subaru to impress not alienate its following IMHO !

rb5 286 22 April 2010 09:58 AM

after they contact us yesterday for a shoot out for the spec ed's against teh STI cosworth too!!!

right so let me get this straight, if my exhaust (standard) got a hole in it somehow, Subaru would replace it under warranty

NO, the exhaust is a consumable part and not covered by warranty anyway.

and as for modifying the engine, I havent, just a cat back centre pipe and backbox

DaveBeck 22 April 2010 10:07 AM

Hope it comes out well :thumb:

urban 22 April 2010 10:15 AM

They'll do all they can to avoid a payout - warranty isn't that dissimilar to car insurance.

I hope you get the right result

powerwrx 22 April 2010 10:26 AM

sling a standard zorst back on and ask them to prove you changed it

Maz 22 April 2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rb5 286 (Post 9358464)
because I fitted a cat back exhaust!!!

Pistons 2 & 3 are showing low compression on tests.

I know there have been other hatch engines with same problems on standard/PPP exhausts!!!

so they cant go ****in me off with that excuse that it was down to my exhaust making the engine go.

I think its time to get trading standards and watchdog involved

Fitting a non standard part is bound to invalidate the warranty. It's common sense not to prat about with a car whilst under warranty, and if you do clear it with Subaru first. It's also besides the point what you changed any change will invalidate the warranty fact and common sense.

CaptainJohn 22 April 2010 10:45 AM

Sounds like a crap dealer you have there mate , thats the problem.
Some Subaru dealers are selling new Imprezas with Milltek exhaust systems fitted instead of the gash standard one , cat back , and they all have full and validated Subaru warranties so your dealer is just working you IMHO.

Mr Wagon 22 April 2010 10:49 AM

How old is the car ?

rb5 286 22 April 2010 11:07 AM

7500 miles, less then 1 year old

urban 22 April 2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by powerwrx (Post 9358557)
sling a standard zorst back on and ask them to prove you changed it

Considering the dealer already has the car I'd imagine that your suggestion is a tad late.

Myles 22 April 2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9358625)
Considering the dealer already has the car I'd imagine that your suggestion is a tad late.

Hop the fence in the wee small hours, with your tool kit and a balaclava.

StanS 22 April 2010 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Einstein RA (Post 9358578)
Fitting a non standard part is bound to invalidate the warranty. It's common sense not to prat about with a car whilst under warranty, and if you do clear it with Subaru first. It's also besides the point what you changed any change will invalidate the warranty fact and common sense.

We all know that any insurer or warranty provider will try to get out of any claim, usually by means of small print conditions. So if you modify, you accept responsibility for problems.
If you are not prepared to give up warranty, don't modify, then you have some hope that they may uphold your claim.
Sad but true. Its not all the "nanny state" its cracked up to be.....

Simon C 22 April 2010 11:42 AM

TBH Stan, this popped engine lark is becoming a joke, Subaru need to step up and sort it out.

According to the blurb in the warranty pack its been invalidated on mine and as we all know, I haven't touched mine yet.

Why's mine invalid, becuase of our driver traning day, technically its been tracked.

Its even worse if Mark was told a cat back system wouldn't harm his warranty.

stuart2008sti 22 April 2010 11:51 AM

Feel for you had the same problem with mine never again.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-failure.html

SPG 22 April 2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainJohn (Post 9358588)
Sounds like a crap dealer you have there mate , thats the problem.
Some Subaru dealers are selling new Imprezas with Milltek exhaust systems fitted instead of the gash standard one , cat back , and they all have full and validated Subaru warranties so your dealer is just working you IMHO.

I'm sure they are but do you think Subaru warranty is made aware of that when theres a claim from the dealer involved?

p1doc 22 April 2010 12:10 PM

that does not sound good any reasonable dealer would have dealt with it much better
martin
ps i had better not mention my 2 laps of ring lol

PeeVee 22 April 2010 12:27 PM

Any decent dealer would have kept it's mouth shut about the exhaust and processed the claim for you. imho

StanS 22 April 2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 9358688)
TBH Stan, this popped engine lark is becoming a joke, Subaru need to step up and sort it out.
According to the blurb in the warranty pack its been invalidated on mine and as we all know, I haven't touched mine yet.
Why's mine invalid, becuase of our driver traning day, technically its been tracked.
Its even worse if Mark was told a cat back system wouldn't harm his warranty.

I agree that there are far too many engines failing, some due to faulty early map, some through piston/ringland failure after spiking, so it is an embarassing time for IM who will just carry on whilst the buyers (who had successful warranty claims) get their engines rebuilt using the same parts that failed in the first place, whilst finding any excuses to not uphold other warranty claims - no change there. So if you buy a car with this history you are forewarned that some engine issues need attention. Sadly Subaru don't seem to fully sort these issues. I decided with my last one ('98 - when piston slap was the big issue) and this one that it was more than likely going to be down to me to sort any problems. I also took on board that as soon as I modified it, I was on my own anyway.
I agree that Subaru supplying a performance car and not expecting the owners to use the full potential of the car that they designed and supplied is ridiculous, as is their dismissing a warranty claim because at some point the car was taken on a wet grip day ! (I have missed what happened to yours Simon :( ) I would be interested to know why, in reality, they believe that a wet grip day could have damaged the car.
But I would not expect Subaru to uphold a claim if someone had not taken reasonable care of the car eg done 60 laps on a track day without a break to check engine and let it cool down, or failing to monitor oil, water etc.

Each claim should be taken as an individual case and not dismissed straight away because it seems you broke a warranty condition or term.
Its down to the individual to persue the claim fully to get past the initial try on which they hope will cause you to drop the case. Not easy though.

Tomwrx 22 April 2010 12:40 PM

thats a joke,hope they come to gd and fix the car under warranty

scooby1929 22 April 2010 12:45 PM

Flip if it was me I would have the old exhaust straight back on it and take it to another dealer

Allan 22 April 2010 12:58 PM

Can see the argument on all sides, hopefully common sense will prevail and they fix it FOC.
Best of luck :thumb:

PeeVee 22 April 2010 12:59 PM

Far too late I'm afraid...

A file at I.M has already been opened aginst the vehicle & the fact that the claim has been rejected has been recorded.

It wouldn't matter where you take it now.

Simon C 22 April 2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by StanS (Post 9358833)

Each claim should be taken as an individual case and not dismissed straight away because it seems you broke a warranty condition or term.
Its down to the individual to persue the claim fully to get past the initial try on which they hope will cause you to drop the case. Not easy though.

I agree with this, alas our importer doesn't.

Nothing has gone wrong with mine yet (touches wood). I was saying it would appear IM warranty isn't worth the paper is printed on.

scooby1929 22 April 2010 01:09 PM

Flip if that was me I would craic!! I would be on to Subaru Uk giving them hell as the exhaust fitted had nothing to do with this failure but the well known problem of the ECU.

rb5 286 22 April 2010 01:29 PM

as this is not the cause of the engine failure the warranty is still, in fact, valid.

An email is being written up now and going direct to the IM directors as I am not happy with the service I have been given and the fob off attempt to make me pay for the repairs.

scooby1929 22 April 2010 01:33 PM

Good for you mate. Take no s**t