ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Hiding domain adresses . . . (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/82742-hiding-domain-adresses.html)

DJ Dunk 26 March 2002 04:05 PM

I'm pretty new to web design and have no idea about coding in HTML but I've written a little homepage with FrontPage (Ok, its one of the templates :rolleyes:), hosted with blueyonder and purchased my domain name.

Problem is, when you go to my domain and auto-redirect to the webspace, the address in the address bar changes to the blueyonder url. Normal I know, but I don't like it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].

Is there any way of making the address stay as my domain name ?

Cut and paste HTML would be helpful please :D

Fosters 26 March 2002 04:14 PM

set your index.htm to this (changing the htm pages of course) and redirect you www.djdunk.com to this index.htm page
<html>
<head>
<title>DJ Dunk's P0rn Palace</title>
</head>

<frameset FRAMESPACING="0" BORDER="0" rows="1,*" frameborder="0">
<frame MARGINWIDTH="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" NAME="top" NORESIZE SCROLLING="NO"
SRC="top.htm" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<frame MARGINWIDTH="12" MARGINHEIGHT="0" NAME="content" SCROLLING="AUTO" SRC="real_bottom_page.htm"
FRAMEBORDER="0">
<noframes>
<body>
<p>You can't do frames you loser!</p>
</body>
</noframes>
</frameset>
</html>

As long as your pages don't reference frames you're on to a winner.

Fosters
:D

stevencotton 26 March 2002 04:19 PM

Not normal actually, just a bad setup. There's no reason the address should change, but it depends how they've set up their webserver. If they set them up with virtualhosts as most ISPs would then you'd see nothing at all. What does it redirect to, out of interest? Could just be a misconfigured UseCanonicalName setting (presuming Apache). Either way you'd have to mail them and probably explain why you wanted the change, and they'd more than likely say no!

Steve.

Fosters 26 March 2002 04:22 PM

actually my way won't work. You need URL masking activated (which does the code I already posted).

:rolleyes:

DJ Dunk 26 March 2002 04:23 PM

Yeah, thanks Fosters :rolleyes: How did you guess it was www.djdunk.com ;)

My site doesn't currently use frames, but may do if I can be bothered to re-install Dreamweaver. Will it still work then ?

Apart from making me look like a kn0b, what do the bits of code do exactly ? :D

DJ Dunk 26 March 2002 04:28 PM

I bought my domain from Lycos and my webspace is Blueyonder.

I set my Lycos domain to redirect to the Blueyonder webspace.
The domain is www.djdunk.com, if you pop along you'll see my predicament (so to speak ;))

stevencotton 26 March 2002 04:42 PM

Ahh now I see what you mean. Best way to fix, get Blueyonder to host www.djdunk.com instead, you'll just need to get your DNS changed.

Steve.

Modrapheniac 26 March 2002 04:45 PM

Web Masking definately needs to be activated on the host server. I had this problem with madasafish, who refused to enable web masking, moved everything to intensive networks, all is cool:-

http://www.modrapheniacs.co.uk

See for yourself.

Cheers,

Darrell

DJ Dunk 26 March 2002 04:53 PM

Thanks guys. I'll give Blueyonder a ring to see if they'll oblige ;) :D

ChristianR 26 March 2002 05:40 PM

cant really comment on the above, however if you want the status bar to display your domain name, put this after the </head>

and before the <body>

<script language="JavaScript">
function wst(){
window.status="http://www.ruellan.co.uk";
window.setTimeout("wst()",0);
}
wst();
</script>

stevencotton 26 March 2002 05:44 PM

'Web masking' whatever that is wont work in this case. The server hosting www.djdunk.com is sending a temporary redirect to the client, and the client is loading the page it was told to and changing the location (correctly) to reflect that.

Steve.

Fosters 26 March 2002 06:54 PM

Steve, yes it will - it's just that blueyonder need to do the URL masking. DJD can't do it from his end.

stevencotton 27 March 2002 10:02 AM

No :)

Webservers aren't linked, there's no communication between them. If Server A redirects to Server B then as far as Server B is concerned it's a brand new request, it doesn't know which URL was originally requested. Your client sees the redirect and that's the new location, so it updates the location bar and makes the new request.

Server B has no idea that you initially requested Server A, the HTTP protocol is totally stateless so there's no way it can 'pretend' to be something it has no notion of, even if it wanted to. Just imagine the mess we'd all be in if it was possible to modify things like that, you wouldn't know what site you were viewing for sure :)

If you have any docs relating to 'web masking' then I'd like to have a look, I haven't come across anything like it in 5 years webserver development. Unless it really is just a frames thing, which would still conform to the model above.

Steve.

stevencotton 27 March 2002 10:55 AM

I did a Google search on 'web masking' and found a few ISPs that offer the service. It's just a proxy set up under a different name to cater for the mass of domains that have been registered the past few years that don't have a local virtual host configuration.

Basically Dunk, you'll need to get Lycos to set up your proxying (or 'masking') since it's them that www.djdunk.com resolves to, and it's that domain you want people to see. Blueyonder can't do anything.

Steve.

snowcrash 27 March 2002 11:05 AM

i'd be very surprised if BY will let you host a site from a cable modem connection from your pc @ home as i know this is not an "uhm" allowed thing to do, they might let you host it off one of their servers, but not your pc...

stevencotton 27 March 2002 11:09 AM

It's not:

inetnum: 195.188.53.0 - 195.188.53.255
netname: HSD-CI
descr: HSD Knowsley Central Office

DJ Dunk 27 March 2002 11:20 AM

It's not hosted from my PC.

Many thanks for your help Steve, much appreciated. I'll try Lycos :)

Fosters 27 March 2002 12:11 PM

Steve, it is just a frames thing - which is why when you ask these companies to set the url masking on and you go to www.djdunk.com, that's what appears in the address bar.

Unfortunately, if you had a link to www.google.com from your site, you'd be looking at the google page but http://www.djdunk.com would still be in the address bar - until you went to a page that hogged the parent frame again.

stevencotton 27 March 2002 12:26 PM

Even if you used frames you'd still have to do it on the Lycos host, not Blueyonder. Any external links would just need to have a target="top" (or something) in the href to get around the problem you outline.

Steve.