ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   blobeye sti or classic p1/type r sti (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/827318-blobeye-sti-or-classic-p1-type-r-sti.html)

zippy! 12 April 2010 12:44 PM

blobeye sti or classic p1/type r sti

i am shortly going to have around 8 grand to spend on a new car but am really stuck on what to get, i like the idea of a blobeye sti but have driven one before and did not think it was as nice to drive as a classic. i still love the classic shape but want something a little more special and prefferably 3 door (if i stick with classic shape) also if i went for just a blobeye wrx i could get one on a 55/56 plate but for an sti i could only get one on around an 52/03 what would you do if it was you? :confused: :wonder: :freak3:

rapid.STI 12 April 2010 12:53 PM

scott thought we had this convo yesterday?? classic, classic, classic, classic :)

biggi 12 April 2010 12:53 PM

I always said I would never go new age, I have owned classic impreza's since 2003, I only this year drove a blob eye sti, fell in love and now own a 2002 sti wrx, nice car to drive, part simple to get hold of, 6 speed box, list goes on. I would like to own both but if I had the choice it would be the new age.

zippy! 12 April 2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rapid.STI (Post 9342219)
scott thought we had this convo yesterday?? classic, classic, classic, classic :)

we did mate lol but ive had 2 classics now and really like the look of the blob sti i fancy a change but as you know i cant make up my mind:D anyway you loved your bug eye and like you say the engines are a lot stronger

f1_fan 12 April 2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by zippy! (Post 9342198)
i like the idea of a blobeye sti but have driven one before and did not think it was as nice to drive as a classic.

That is the most important part of your post.

I had 3 classics and then got a newage blobeye STI. Never felt at one with it and to be honest I finally had to admit that I preferred driving my classics even if they weren't STIs.

Now back in a classic and feel rght back at home. :D

rapid.STI 12 April 2010 01:06 PM

true matey,, im just on the hunt now for a v7sti wagon,, very hard to come buy but i really want another wagon... :)

you work hard mate so i think yeah you desire a blob!

biggi 12 April 2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by rapid.STI (Post 9342241)
true matey,, im just on the hunt now for a v7sti wagon,, very hard to come buy but i really want another wagon... :)

you work hard mate so i think yeah you desire a blob!

try adgespeed.co.uk he had one the last time I visited his place.

zippy! 12 April 2010 01:14 PM

see lad you just said classic but in all honesty you want another v7 lol thought i was bad for changing my mind lol

rapid.STI 12 April 2010 01:17 PM

see lad you just said classic but in all honesty you want another v7 lol thought i was bad for changing my mind lol
if i go for the wagon like my last 2 id prefer a v7 but would settle for a classic. if its a saloon the i'll be getting a v4/5 classic.

THANKS BIGGI i'll take a look on there.:)

Mus 12 April 2010 01:17 PM

classics all day long the type r is raw the newages feel to refined. and a classic is a lot lighter so would be a lot quicker even though running less power

tubbytommy 12 April 2010 05:12 PM

i own a newage blobeye sti, i have never driven a classic but love the look of them, but i brought mine for an everyday car (2 kids etc ) so brought newest i could afford. its a great car but very thirsty but im sure classics are no different.
its a lot of things but refined it is not, suspension is very harsh,gear change very stiff when cold, interior is of iffy quality for 5 year old car. i know ist all about performance so none of these things matter to me but refined!!! maybe if it was built in 1980

Badbird 12 April 2010 05:28 PM

Driven both my son has owned both including a 430 hp v3 type r,
as an everyday car the blob is a far better drive, its newer and feels it, they dont have all the electrical gremlins the classics have they are remappable they have bullet proof gearboxes better ic's far less lightly to be a shagged old nail that an awfull lot of classics realy are heavier yes but its also a stiffer chassis and in stock form handles every bit as good as a classic, just dont have that roller skate feel to them , far better brakes as standard, is also a big money saver for anyone looking at sensible mods
and for big power cars a simple disc and pad change will give you all the braking you will need on the road,

thats all befour i start about the far nicer interiors, which is real important in an every day car

you can get a uk sti on an 04 for 8 k we got a good one ages ago for that money so you should be able to get even later now, no doubt if you get a classic we will see you here soon asking how to fix it,
youd need to be an expert to weed out the crap that gets for sale,

Steve777 12 April 2010 06:36 PM

Type r V-Ltd all the way for me.

KAS35RSTI 12 April 2010 07:15 PM

After owning 3 classic's i thought it was time for a change. So i looked into the Evo 9 & blob eye sti. After test driving both i just did not find either of them fun. Yes both of them are excellent overall but i just could not feel the power.

Now i have a Type R. Tap...Bang...Go!

s c o o b y 12 April 2010 07:38 PM

hmm thats a hard one there !!! well i've had classics for eight years now and love them to bits, still got one but just bought a blob sti ppp with prodrive lowering springs and i love it to bits its louds different to the classic but as a family car and every day car its defo the better one of the two . classics are a bit raw as a family car imo as the missus always use to moan at me in the classic but she doesnt say much in the blob . the blobs are just as good in handling and performance as the classic imo and alot easier to live with as an every day car. i would say blob even though i still love and own my classic.

KAS35RSTI 12 April 2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by s c o o b y (Post 9342793)
hmm thats a hard one there !!! well i've had classics for eight years now and love them to bits, still got one but just bought a blob sti ppp with prodrive lowering springs and i love it to bits its louds different to the classic but as a family car and every day car its defo the better one of the two . classics are a bit raw as a family car imo as the missus always use to moan at me in the classic but she doesnt say much in the blob . the blobs are just as good in handling and performance as the classic imo and alot easier to live with as an every day car. i would say blob even though i still love and own my classic.

Totally agree.

StudentScooby 12 April 2010 10:43 PM

i was recently in the same position and went for a p1.

Marx Mcrae 13 April 2010 07:42 AM

Classic Type R hands down,,,, As it happens mine is actually forsale!

C17RPA 13 April 2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by rapid.STI (Post 9342219)

"SNAP".........keep it classic.a nice P1 will do mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumb:

Bicco 13 April 2010 11:38 AM

I had a V5 Type R, which was an awesome car, after it blew itself up, I saved for a while and eventually decided the money i`d saved may be better spent on a newer car, test drove a Blob STi, It felt better built and genreally a nice drive, but was seriously lacking in excitemnt, BUT, then I got a drive in a JDM Blob STi, this felt a different beast, 2 years later it`s still here! Personally I feel it has all the excitment of the type R with better handeling and much more reliablity. May be worth having a look if your budget ill cover a JDM. Still gonna be personal choice at the end of the day.

P.S. Both cars were full system / remap / Fuel pump etc, basic stuff, the JDM blob is quicker, On a track or 1/4 mile. ;)

KAS35RSTI 13 April 2010 12:29 PM

I agree the JDM Blob's are better than the Type UK. The JDM's can be revved abit more compared to the UK spec. The JDM blob's are abit rare.

nickhasl 13 April 2010 12:36 PM

i went though the same thing as you. as i was told you are the lower end of the market for p1. so you might have to have a engine rebuild if it hasnt had one (or a remap for uk fuel).you would get a nice type r for that money. after i looked at a few i ended up with 05 blob eye sti and am in love.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...l/IMG_0221.jpg

so imo blobeye all the way

zippy! 13 April 2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by nickhasl (Post 9343811)
i went though the same thing as you. as i was told you are the lower end of the market for p1. so you might have to have a engine rebuild if it hasnt had one (or a remap for uk fuel).you would get a nice type r for that money. after i looked at a few i ended up with 05 blob eye sti and am in love.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...l/IMG_0221.jpg

so imo blobeye all the way

thats gorgeous mate almost enough to convince me on the spot :thumb:

Kosy 13 April 2010 05:40 PM

I was also in a very similar situation to yourself. After much thought, deliberation and looking at many cars I went for a low mileage P1 with Recaros, 18s and a recent rebuild by Subaru. My circumstances were slightly different to yours however and it is my first Impreza despite wanting one for 10 years! It is only used as a second car and if it was my first car and I had kids then i may have favoured a blob as the P1 is quite raw/involving. These cars are fantastic so if you take your time I am sure you will make the right decision for you.

Needless to say I am delighted with mine, it feels special and I personally wouldn't swap it for anything!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wdx4zd.jpg

Good luck in your quest. :)

David26 13 April 2010 07:53 PM

P1 All day!!!!!.... :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

I've had both... P1 is a special car imo!

Badbird 13 April 2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by zippy! (Post 9343854)
thats gorgeous mate almost enough to convince me on the spot :thumb:

be honnest that blob is a way better looking car,
classics look like a first gen Mondeo with a chav body kit from the front,
the Mondeo at least had the decency ro rust to bits and dissapear:lol1:

Kosy 13 April 2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Badbird (Post 9344567)
be honnest that blob is a way better looking car,
classics look like a first gen Mondeo with a chav body kit from the front,
the Mondeo at least had the decency ro rust to bits and dissapear:lol1:

What has happened to this place?!

Badbird 13 April 2010 09:17 PM

nothin happend,
its a forum for scooby enthusiasts, and as any forum your allowed to state you,r or in this case my, opinion,
and I did, just as im sure you and everyone else state yours,
just cause i dont like classics 1 little bit dont mean im not an enthusiast, or I'm not allowed to say it
the exeption would be all out race cars of cource, Then i can see a case for the classic (and its not looks)

zippy! 13 April 2010 09:50 PM

i happen to like my classics and believe them to be the better looking and handling car its just i fancy something newer and a bit more special than the uk classic what i have at the moment thats all i still love driving it though!

Marx Mcrae 13 April 2010 09:57 PM

Mine is a Version 3 Type R 2.5 fully forged engine with 20g turbo running approx 370bhp and over 400lbft torque if you interested