ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MY98 WRX type R Questions, HELP PLEASE! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/827043-my98-wrx-type-r-questions-help-please.html)

dave_garrett 10 April 2010 06:28 PM

MY98 WRX type R Questions, HELP PLEASE!

Help please :) ! I'm about to rebuild a MY98 wrx type R (not a sti) and need some help gathering info, can any one give me quick answers on the following please to start me on my way (couldn't find what I was looking for with the search engine). Engine is running ok but will be getting rebuilt anyway:

1. Approx what is the max 'safe everyday use' bhp/torque the standard diffs/gerabox can handle on a MY98 wrx type R?

2. I'm assuming a MY98 wrx type r is a 'open deck block' can someone confirm?

3. What is the max 'safe everyday use' bhp/torque a standard engine can handle (without going for forged pistons/rods etc).

4. Where are the weaknesses in the standard engine i.e. pistons, rods, valves.

5. I also belive you can't remap the standard ecu, is this true?

Not planning a big build here just gatering info as my knowledge is limited to newages. I know there are no definite caved in stone' naswers to the power figures I'm asking, I'm only lloking for a guide.

Thanks in advance :thumb:.

joz8968 10 April 2010 10:12 PM

1. South of 350bhp is advisable. But very dependent on wear of box/clutch to date, and how you use them.

2. Not sure. Probably. Even if it is a ODB, they can handle around 500bhp. Maybe more...

3. See answer to 1. Your exisiting VF29, TMIC and injectors willl need changing, and a remap, to achieve it, though.

4. Assuming all is working as it should be and everything being of the same age e.g. the original internals, then I believe it's the rods that are the weakest link.

5. If it IS a MY98 (Sep 97 to Aug 98), then true. But ESL are on the verge of producing and releasing a Live mappable daughterbaord replacement for the MY97/98. Or there's the Apexi Power FC, or MAFless Simtek, 'budget' (relatively speaking) options.

dave_garrett 10 April 2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9339823)
1. South of 350bhp is advisable. But very dependent on wear of box/clutch to date, and how you use them.

2. Not sure. Probably. Even if it is a ODB, they can handle around 500bhp. Maybe more...

3. See answer to 1. Your exisiting VF29, TMIC and injectors willl need changing, and a remap, to achieve it, though.

4. Assuming all is working as it should be and everything being of the same age e.g. the original internals, then I believe it's the rods that are the weakest link.

5. If it IS a MY98 (Sep 97 to Aug 98), then true. But ESL are on the verge of producing and releasing a Live mappable daughterbaord replacement for the MY97/98. Or there's the Apexi Power FC or MAFless Simtek 'budget' (relatively speaking) options.

Thanks, 500bhp on a open block, first time I've heard that.

Dave

joz8968 11 April 2010 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by dave_garrett (Post 9339854)
Thanks, 500bhp on a open block, first time I've heard that.

Dave

The blocks are tough - even the 'lowly' ODB.

There are many on here that run very high bhp on ODBs...