ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Red light on right of clock - What is it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/826914-red-light-on-right-of-clock-what-is-it.html)

pete.wilson 09 April 2010 08:03 PM

Red light on right of clock - What is it?

Newish to subaru ownership, the other day while accelerating in fourth from 3.5k to 4k I noticed a red ligh comming on (went out as soon as I backed off) on the right of the clock (newage WRX). Does anyone know what it means? I've looked through the manual and no mention of it:wonder:.

Search on here for Red Light brings back lots of the wrong type of results:brickwall.

The only other point to mention is that it has been retro fitted with boost activated IC Spray by the previous owner. Guess it may be something to do with this, but the light is identical to the immobilizer light rather than anything aftermarket.

Can anybody shed any light on it so to speak:thumb:?

Cheers
Pete

scooby72 09 April 2010 08:08 PM

Shift light I would say bud!!

Turbotits 09 April 2010 08:11 PM

Hard to say could be loads of things . could be the red led from a knocklink

joz8968 09 April 2010 08:33 PM

Are you saying that this light is part of the OEM clock display (or at least by the side of it, etc.)?

Or is it defo an aftermarket thingy that a previous owner has fitted?

pete.wilson 09 April 2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9338127)
Are you saying that this light is part of the OEM clock display (or at least by the side of it, etc.)?

Or is it defo an aftermarket thingy that a previous owner has fitted?

Yes, its position is the mirror image of the immobilizer light and the light is exactly the same type with the same surround, so looks to me to be OEM, rather than aftermarket.

Pete

joz8968 09 April 2010 08:50 PM

Well this begs the question... surely some other owners of your variant should know! Let's hope you get a suitable answer soon... ;)

Turbotits 09 April 2010 08:53 PM

I believe its been added to look o/e as im sure they only have the one o/e led on the left of the clock

pete.wilson 09 April 2010 09:21 PM

Thanks, if it's not on others, it must be aftermarket (very well done) and that would also tie in with it not being in the manual:thumb:.

In that case I presume that it relates to the IC spray then, I'll try redirecting one of the jets at the windscreen, should be fairly easy to see if they happen at the same time:lol1:.

Cheers
Pete

scooby72 09 April 2010 09:55 PM

Ok I maybe completely wrong but didnt the newage WRX have a tiny red shift light incoporated into the clocks?????

P600wrx 09 April 2010 10:03 PM

any chance of a photo, not while your driving though

joz8968 09 April 2010 10:04 PM

If it IS OEM, my betting is a shift light too!

OP, take the car for a hoon... does the light come on a tad before the red line (or whatever it's set at) time and time again? If so, then a shift light for sure...

scooby72 09 April 2010 10:16 PM

Just a thought - If you look on you tube there are loads of vids with newage cars and a little red light flashing on - check if the same and as before my bet is the shift light!! ;->

Turbotits 10 April 2010 07:27 AM

So all of a sudden or maybe by accident the op's shift light has altered to activate between 3.5 and 4 k

I have a shift light but its in the middle of rev counter (sti though)

Steve001 10 April 2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Turbotits (Post 9338643)
So all of a sudden or maybe by accident the op's shift light has altered to activate between 3.5 and 4 k

I have a shift light but its in the middle of rev counter (sti though)

sti one is adjustable, have mine set at 5.5k. dont remember having one on my wrx (bug) could have been fitted to later models thou??

pete.wilson 10 April 2010 05:49 PM

Def not a shift light as I often go through 3.5k and 4k range and has not triggered before, I have a shift light and limiter on our kit car so have experience of both. I see in the manual about the STI shift light in the instruments and the adjuster, but this is in a different place.

I will try to get a picture and post it later.

Pete
Edited to say limiter not limited

pete.wilson 10 April 2010 06:54 PM

Can I post pictures, as not a member? FAQ tells me to look for manage attachment button but cant see it.

Cheers
Pete

Steve001 10 April 2010 07:34 PM

user CP, edit options, thread display options, show image code? i had no problems with pic before i was a member

you need to upload pics to photobucket or similar then copy the image code and paste in your post

steve

joz8968 10 April 2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turbotits (Post 9338643)
So all of a sudden or maybe by accident the op's shift light has altered to activate between 3.5 and 4 k...

Oops. I totally overlooked that. :o :cuckoo:

pete.wilson 13 April 2010 09:51 PM

After some testing I have concluded its an indicator for the IC spray, I have a spare switch by the fog light switches, when I press this once then anything over 3.5k and half throttle and it lights up. When I press the switch again this appears to stop the light coming on:thumb:.

I guess the switch must have been off all this time and there is no indication on it that it is either on or off. I haven't had time to post photos but the previous did a very good job of installing the light, as it still looks OE:luxhello:.

Thanks for everyones input:thumb:.
Pete

joz8968 13 April 2010 10:28 PM

Coolio. :)