ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Best way to bleed the coolant system help (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/825586-best-way-to-bleed-the-coolant-system-help.html)

greekpeterfromlondon 02 April 2010 04:51 PM

Best way to bleed the coolant system help

Hi whats the best way to bleed the coolant system on a classic turbo as I'm getting bubbling noise coming from the heater matrix but the temperature is OK?

joz8968 02 April 2010 05:01 PM

Do a search - there's 10s (if not 100s!) of posts on this...

dj219957 02 April 2010 05:22 PM

search is broke:

start engine
set heater control to hot, window.
stop engine
drain system
take off top rad hose complety.
fill block side VERY SLOWLEY so you hear it burp fill rad side VERY SLOWLEY so you hear it burp.
fit top hose
fill header tank VERY SLOWLEY.
start engine with header cap off
top up though header until it wont take any more and starts to over flow. little bits at a time.
job done.
this has worked twice for me after rad chnage and cambelt change.

wardy124 02 April 2010 06:21 PM

I have done exactly as you did dj219957

Just had to top up the expansion tank behind the left headlight a little to get to the full level marker as well

greekpeterfromlondon 02 April 2010 09:14 PM

Do you fill the expansion bottle on the inlet manifold to the top?

wardy124 02 April 2010 09:25 PM

yep, right to the top, with the engine running, but do it real slow so you don't trap any air

dj219957 02 April 2010 10:22 PM

oh yeah forgot to say to top up the expansion tank in inner wing. nice on wardy.
the one on the manifold is the header tank and yes it should be filled to the top.

Jamz_ 02 April 2010 11:21 PM

Does the one in the wing need to be full of water like?! Mine has no water it it I dont think but the header tank does

johnlogie 02 April 2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz_ (Post 9325352)
Does the one in the wing need to be full of water like?! Mine has no water it it I dont think but the header tank does

Mine has NEVER had any water in it. I thought it was the expansion over flow?

Jamz_ 02 April 2010 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by johnlogie (Post 9325365)
Mine has NEVER had any water in it. I thought it was the expansion over flow?

+1 - thought it was time to worry when that was full of water

sonic93 03 April 2010 08:01 AM

na i dont think u fill that 1 wheres split pin when u need him lol

howes124 03 April 2010 08:40 AM

bleeding

the best way to bleed the system, is to remove the small pipe from the top of the rad to the top of the header, start engine till water flows out of it.

milliemoo 03 April 2010 09:01 AM

expansion tank is just that. as the water in the system gets hot,it expands.so naturally it has to expand somewhere and it does this by using the tank next to the wing.if it wasnt for this tank the water would want to expand elsewhere and it would find a weak point as the pressure rises.then pop!!!

aslong as the header tank is full you should be ok but i always like to have a little coolant in the expansion tank/bottle just so when the motor cools it take some water back.also you can get a better visual picture wether the system is taking it and returning it correctly :)

wardy124 03 April 2010 11:40 AM

The expansion tank behind the headlight actually goes behind the wing too, there's a high and low mark on the inside of it about 6inches from the top, real hard to see though... I found this out in the owners manual, I only had to put about quarter of a litre in to top this one up though.

john5f 03 April 2010 05:34 PM

Should the header tank always refill to the top from the overflow when it has cooled down?

If so, is it an indication that air is being pulling into the system from a leak somewhere if it
doesn't fill fully?

dj219957 03 April 2010 06:27 PM

the header tank cap tries to fill the header tank to the top but in reality it only normally fills upto 1cm from the top.

could someone with a pre 96 classic try something for me?

go for a good run, then pop bonnet and open lid on expansion tank (one by wing). take a look in and look for bubbles as you blip the throttle with your hand.

mines been bubbling since i had the car (18 months) and normally i would asociate bubbles with head gasket but the car doesnt over heat and its been like this for 18 months now. maybe its normal? or maybee air is gettign in somewhere else. so far i think the coolant is boiling somewhere and its just the air getting out.