ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sore Throat.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/82455-sore-throat.html)

Nimbus 25 March 2002 05:15 PM

I've got one and just know tonight it's gona really hurt when I'm trying to get to sleep. Felt like sandpaper this morning.

Anyone know a good cure, or at least something to stop the "sore" bit?

Ta.

Dr Lurve 25 March 2002 05:16 PM

Gargle with soluble aspirin (assuming you are not allergic to aspirin).Jen.

Nimbus 25 March 2002 05:17 PM

Thanks Jen. Quick reply!!

I assume that's an over-the-counter product? Any perticular brand worth getting?

Rich D 25 March 2002 05:21 PM

Yeah, I've got a sore throat too... :(

Is there summat going round?!

Hopefully it was just too much booze & fags at weekdend! ;)

zoog 25 March 2002 05:22 PM

Try a tot of whisky - I find it helps the soreness.

Shark 25 March 2002 05:23 PM

Strepsils (sp?) work for me.

Hope you feel better.

David

Dr Lurve 25 March 2002 05:24 PM

Nimbus, any old soluble aspirin/ibruprofen will do the job (over the counter), follow the pack instructions. Jen.

Nimbus 25 March 2002 05:25 PM

Zoog.

I like your idea, but fear I will be trading a sore throad for a sore head ;)

johnr 25 March 2002 05:39 PM

Get some Decquecaine (sp???) from Boots (other pharmacies are available!!). Like Strepsils but with local anaesthetic that completely numbs the throat. Never failed me yet.

John

zoog 25 March 2002 06:22 PM

Nimbus

Yea that is a known side effect!

GARGLED then swallowed soluble aspirin is the non sore head remedy I would try.

Neil Smalley 25 March 2002 06:32 PM

Treat your nose as well as your throat. Quite often what happens is that snot and stuff from your nose drips onto your throat when you lie down. That then makes your throat sore.

Redkop 25 March 2002 07:34 PM

Try Vicks Ultra Chloraseptic spray

Rich D 25 March 2002 11:57 PM

I nipped out to the garage at lunch & got some "Halls Soothers", but they just eased the pain a little. Really any old boiled sweets would have done.

I have now got some "Merocaine" from the chemist.

These have also got a local anaesthetic that completely numbs the throat, just like the Decquecaine (sp?) things from Boots. They both containe Benzocaine which makes your tongue/mouth also go numb for a while, which is odd! ;)

Feels a bit better, but I feel like sh!te now and my neck aches! :(

Off to bed, hopefully feel better soon...

Mufasa 26 March 2002 04:37 AM

A line or two helps, apparently.

Redkop 26 March 2002 08:13 AM

Know exactly how u feel Rich :( been like it since Saturday nite!

Bravo2zero_sps 26 March 2002 11:28 AM

The hottest curry you can find normally helps, swiftly followed by several pints of lager ;)Before you know it u will be off to sleep in no time!!! :D

Nimbus 26 March 2002 12:31 PM

Had some Strepsils in so gave them a try last night. They actually worked!! Throats not sore anymore but getting a little cough <cough> <cough>. Time to try the sympathy vote from the wife ;)

thanks for the advice though.

Rich D 26 March 2002 03:27 PM

At Uni I used to use Vodka to just numb my throat & get hammered, but now I'm a grown up (allegedly) and got a respectable job, I doubt if staggering in half gone in a moring would go down too well in the office. ;)

These Merocaine things seem to be working, but I still feel w@nk! :(

gym-queen 26 March 2002 03:47 PM

If you'd like a natural approach, try boiling water with a slice of lemon and some honey. The lemon provise vitamin C as well as a nice flavour, and the honey helps sooth the throat. Another option is to get pure OJ (out of a carton is ok, just make sure it's not made from concentrate) and heat it to the point it will almost boil, then add honey. Both remedies sooth the throat and make you feel better. The OJ one also helps with energy levels as it's a good form of carbohydrate. Try alternating between them. Let me know how you get on. GQ