ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Advice on this car (looking to buy) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/824108-advice-on-this-car-looking-to-buy.html)

rihsabramo 26 March 2010 12:16 AM

Advice on this car (looking to buy)

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Sti Type R and have seen this one for sale on ebay. I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about it? The ad is crap but having rang the guy he seems genuine if not a bit unsure about cars.

Anyway, What ltd edition is it? And what are the differences between this and a normal sti type r? Also is the roof scoop removable? and why is the engine not a red top? Has the whole block been swapped out for a 2.5l from the new shape? If so how can i tell?

2000 SUBARU IMPREZA STI6 BLUE TYPE R (LIMTITED EDTION) on eBay (end time 03-Apr-10 12:10:17 BST)

Many Thanks

Midlife...... 26 March 2010 12:33 AM

Link deleted...............

This one ??

Shaun

DDS789 26 March 2010 01:01 AM

He says blocks been bored out, not swapped for newage. That to me says its been rebuilt to the spec (especially 8k worth of engine mods). look for extensive receipts that go into a lot of detail about the build. Dont know about the Intake not being red, maybe was and he hasnt bothered about repainting it during the build.

Dunno why you'd want to remove the roof scoop, quite sort after. But if you still want to then there will be a hole in the roof, so will need a plate welding and respray.

Great looking car though, just do plenty of research on here into rebuilds. This will help you understand the receipts and what has or hasnt been done during the build.

Terminator X 26 March 2010 01:35 AM

I'd worry about that. If he doesn't know what he's bought he might not treat it right :nono:

TX.

Originally Posted by rihsabramo (Post 9309036)
... if not a bit unsure about cars.

beef-on-the-bone 26 March 2010 09:00 AM

a 2.0 would bore out to 2.5???? wouldn't you use a 2.5 block.............

rihsabramo 26 March 2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone (Post 9309234)
a 2.0 would bore out to 2.5???? wouldn't you use a 2.5 block.............

Yeah i would have thought so, but anyway its not far from me so going up tomorrow to have a look and check out the paperwork.

A couple of questions: how can i identify what block it is? and how can i identify the heads? I.e. he might be using a 2.5block witht he original type r heads?? (this might not be possible, i don't know enough about subaru's)

And how can I check if the DCCD is working?

Thanks

scooby1doo1 26 March 2010 12:43 PM

midlife

It's a WRX not WRX STI so you don't get red top engine along with a few other things no dccd.
Or have I got that all wrong

Midlife...... 26 March 2010 01:21 PM

Scooby1doo1

The link to the pics should show a WRX V-Limited jobby and not an STi hopefully :D

as you say no red top etc :D

Shaun

g7prs 26 March 2010 01:28 PM

Midlife is your link not to a different car from the one the op posted?

rihsabramo 26 March 2010 02:54 PM

Yes the car Midlife posted is a differnet car.

Is the one that I linked to not a type R? i thought all 2drs were type R?

So does this have a 240bhp engine as standard and no DCCD?

Midlife...... 26 March 2010 03:01 PM

sorry..... cut and pasted wrong link :(

It was way past my bedtime LOL

Shaun

The Trooper 1815 26 March 2010 03:18 PM

Type R's have DCCD and 280BHP as standard.

rihsabramo 26 March 2010 03:30 PM

OK, Midlife.. has confused me. the one I am looking at is an STi Type R? but a ltd edition? therefore 280hp and DCCD?

Also any tips on my questions above as to how to identify the engine? and how to check DCCD is working?

Thanks

Midlife...... 26 March 2010 04:48 PM

The car proports to be a WRX STi Type r Version 6 Limited but it looks like it has had quite a few changes. 280 BHP. Look at the first pic on this thread LOL

Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-LTD - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Best to get the applied model code to check what it was when it left the factory gates. As for the engine, how about asking for a couple of pics of the invoices which might indicate what has been done, especially as he doesn't know himself!

Shaun

scooby1doo1 26 March 2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon (Post 9309821)
Type R's have DCCD and 280BHP as standard.

Not all type R's have dccd, but as the op is looking at an STI type then yes it had dccd.

Steve T 30 March 2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by rihsabramo (Post 9309424)
Yeah i would have thought so, but anyway its not far from me so going up tomorrow to have a look and check out the paperwork.

A couple of questions: how can i identify what block it is? and how can i identify the heads? I.e. he might be using a 2.5block witht he original type r heads?? (this might not be possible, i don't know enough about subaru's)

And how can I check if the DCCD is working?

Thanks

Did you have a look at it,and if so what was it like. Thanks Steve.