ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Street racing (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/823577-street-racing.html)

Leaney-g 23 March 2010 11:43 AM

Street racing

Morning all,

I've owned my Blobeye for 4 months now. It's my first scooby and it certainly won't be the last.

Like most on here, I like to put my foot down every now and then.

Whilst at the lights, we all like to have a bit of fun (nothing too dangerous I'm sure). I have all types of cars that try it on at the lights, but I've pulled up next to a few scoobies and they just pull off gently.

Is there an unwritten rule that we don't have a bit of fun off the lights with a fellow scooby owner?

I'm not for one second suggesting that anyone should race around like a nutter all the time. But at some lights on A road, middle of the night etc is a bit different.

Let me know you thoughts. Thanks

Stuswrx 23 March 2010 11:47 AM

sounds like respect for fellow Subaru drivers

Moley 23 March 2010 11:49 AM

Have you not heard about Subaru gearboxes then?

DDS789 23 March 2010 12:25 PM

His Blobeye box will be fine for any abuse.

Think its just a respect thing, i wouldnt go racing fellow scooby owners just a:thumb: to em for having good taste (if its not a chaved up one that is:lol1:)

Moley 23 March 2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DDS789 (Post 9303269)
His Blobeye box will be fine for any abuse.

Really? Any?

dantastic 23 March 2010 01:00 PM

No need to, if both drivers are in scoobs there's nothing to prove as you both know what they are capable of.

Allen 23 March 2010 01:07 PM

Just a friendly acknowledgement. And on your way.

DDS789 23 March 2010 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9303328)
Really? Any?

Pretty sure its the classic boxes that are known at being quite fragile, newage is a very different story 5 or 6 speed.

Moley 23 March 2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DDS789 (Post 9303365)
Pretty sure its the classic boxes that are known at being quite fragile, newage is a very different story 5 or 6 speed.

6 speed will take the abuse.

5 speeds are stronger in the newage cars, but will still not take many full bore launches

Aztec Performance Ltd 23 March 2010 01:58 PM

A std TD04 turbo wouldn't really bother a standard box. ;)

Mine used to get lots of abuse with stage 1 mods without any issues.

Move onto bigger turbos and it's a different story though :D

STI Mav 23 March 2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9303412)
6 speed will take the abuse.

5 speeds are stronger in the newage cars, but will still not take many full bore launches

Even with a 6 speed gearbox in mine, I don't even bother trying anything at the lights Scooby or not. Besides which I think people get the idea when my launch control is engaged ;)

Still not had the balls to actually try it mind you - like my clutch too much :nono:

scoobwrx94import 23 March 2010 06:58 PM

acknowledge ment and on ure way respect for another subaru owner come on u mean to say use wont race another scooby what a load of pish cause use no what both cars are capable of its not just about the car but also the driver what hes capable of u dont want to nail ure scooby incase u fook the gearbox whats the point in havin a scoob then if u fear that everytime u give it sum ull pop the box

chris-RB5 23 March 2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by STI Mav (Post 9303419)
Even with a 6 speed gearbox in mine, I don't even bother trying anything at the lights Scooby or not. Besides which I think people get the idea when my launch control is engaged ;)

Still not had the balls to actually try it mind you - like my clutch too much :nono:

Try it, you'll love it, would even go as far as saying it's better than anti-slag, love the launch in the type r, when the diff's rolled back, spins for a few second's then breaks your neck when it gets traction!

RA Dunk 23 March 2010 08:45 PM

hope every one of you who race on a public road get your ar$e$ busted from the Police, there are tracks for racing!

Moley 23 March 2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9304161)
hope every one of you who race on a public road get your ar$e$ busted from the Police, there are tracks for racing!

I know i'll get accused of being an old fart.... but i agree with you Dunk. :thumb:

jd5217 23 March 2010 09:15 PM

Just if you smash it up dont tell your insurance broker. ;)

Aaron1978 23 March 2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by scoobwrx94import (Post 9303870)
acknowledge ment and on ure way respect for another subaru owner come on u mean to say use wont race another scooby what a load of pish cause use no what both cars are capable of its not just about the car but also the driver what hes capable of u dont want to nail ure scooby incase u fook the gearbox whats the point in havin a scoob then if u fear that everytime u give it sum ull pop the box

And if you come up against a driver that is not capable of driving fast and they crash and kills themself or worse someone else, then your in a whole world of sh*t. I don't think that 'but your honour, i'm a very good driver' will get you out of trouble:nono:

Moley 23 March 2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 9304391)
And if you come up against a driver that is not capable of driving fast and they crash and kills themself or worse someone else, then your in a whole world of sh*t. I don't think that 'but your honour, i'm a very good driver' will get you out of trouble:nono:

It'll get you about 5 years of being Big Barry from B wings bitch!!! ;):D

Splitpin 23 March 2010 10:54 PM

It's always the illiterate ones...

Moley 23 March 2010 10:59 PM

u dont want to nail ure scooby incase u fook the gearbox whats the point in havin a scoob then if u fear that everytime u give it sum ull pop the box

I don't launch it from a standing start.... i didn't say i don't give it some

Read the post properly ;)

Splitpin 23 March 2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9304595)
Read the post properly ;)

Do you think that's likely, or indeed possible? ;)

Aaron1978 23 March 2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9304443)
It'll get you about 5 years of being Big Barry from B wings bitch!!! ;):D

:D

BIG FUD 23 March 2010 11:21 PM

If you see me g ill smoke ya ass simple lolol

99greenwagon 23 March 2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by BIG FUD (Post 9304663)
If you see me g ill smoke ya ass simple lolol

on the track of course:D

RA Dunk 23 March 2010 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9304185)
I know i'll get accused of being an old fart.... but i agree with you Dunk. :thumb:

There are better drivers than some of these people who have lost there (and others) lives racing of public roads, it's not big and it's not cool, if people want to take them self's and there cars to the limit there are plenty of trackdays too choose from TBH

99greenwagon 23 March 2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9304691)
There are better drivers than some of these people who have lost there (and others) lives racing of public roads, it's not big and it's not cool, if people want to take them self's and there cars to the limit there are plenty of trackdays too choose from TBH

i agree,but i think the op just means a lttle blip off the lights now and then?:)

Moley 23 March 2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9304691)

Exactly

I remember years ago there was a member here who allegedly had a bit of a play on the motorway with a guy on a motorbike.

The guy on the bike came off and died, and the Scoobynet member got 5 years inside (from memory)

Not worth taking the chance.

m444rk 23 March 2010 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9304707)
I remember years ago there was a member here who allegedly had a bit of a play on the motorway with a guy on a motorbike.

The guy on the bike came off and died, and the Scoobynet member got 5 years inside (from memory)

just out of interest (and ignorance),

why exactly would the driver of the car get jailed, if he had no direct influence on the way the motorbike was being driven? surely you are responsible for your own decisions and the way you drive your vehicle, and you can't shift the blame onto a person who wasn't in control of it?

could I drive down the road, get distracted by a woman in a very short skirt, stuff my car into a lamp post looking, then blame her for my whiplash?

i'm not trying to cause an argument, just can't see the logic?

99greenwagon 23 March 2010 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by m444rk (Post 9304767)
just out of interest (and ignorance),

why exactly would the driver of the car get jailed, if he had no direct influence on the way the motorbike was being driven? surely you are responsible for your own decisions and the way you drive your vehicle, and you can't shift the blame onto a person who wasn't in control of it?

could I drive down the road, get distracted by a woman in a very short skirt, stuff my car into a lamp post looking, then blame her for my whiplash?

i'm not trying to cause an argument, just can't see the logic?

slightly different mate,if there were witnesses that had seen a race then he would have got done.:)

KickboxingCrazy 24 March 2010 12:03 AM

i 4wd scooby and no one launches? oh deary, hope you dont come up against a high power fwd car on a dual carriage way