ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Any clutch experts (non-Subaru) on here? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/823100-any-clutch-experts-non-subaru-on-here.html)

David Lock 20 March 2010 11:02 PM

Any clutch experts (non-Subaru) on here?

My boy phoned me from Dublin where he is using my old 205 turbo diesel. He told me the clutch has gone - the pedal is just "loose". Doesn't seem to be a broken clutch cable but what else is likely? I understand things like clutch slippage but I would like a couple of pointers partly so he doesn't get ripped off by a local garage.

Of course if anyone knows a garage in Dublin that could help that would be great but a long shot I know :)

Thanks, David

barnes_2k7 21 March 2010 12:46 AM

pressurer plate could of given up causing it to "feel loose"

release bearing has became detached from the clutch fork?

not something that can really be diagnosed over the tinternet lol. best of luck with it

David Lock 21 March 2010 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by barnes_2k7 (Post 9298698)

not something that can really be diagnosed over the tinternet lol. best of luck with it

OK thanks - I appreciate that I am being far too vague ;)

dl

MattW 21 March 2010 09:56 AM

Hydraulic clutch?

JDM_Stig 21 March 2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by barnes_2k7 (Post 9298698)

It is a bit of a common faults on the Pugs as mentioned, I had the same issues a few years ago with a 405 estate.

David Lock 21 March 2010 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 9298987)
It is a bit of a common faults on the Pugs as mentioned, I had the same issues a few years ago with a 405 estate.

Cheers - so if it is that would that mean a "clutch out/new clutch" job? Sorry I know it's vague but just trying to get some pointers. Dublin is a bloody expensive city and James has 4 Euros in his account at present so guess who will be paying :mad:

Sorry don't know if it's a hydraulic clutch but I guess if it is the first thing would be to check if it has any fluid in the system.

David

Leslie 21 March 2010 02:48 PM

Certainly the first thing to check with a hydraulic clutch. Could be a broken flexi pipe, no fluid anyway, or either the master or slave cylinder gone TU. Or even a leaking bleed screw.

If a mechanical connection than yet again a problem with the linkages.

Those are the cheaper ways to mend it, if it is the clutch itself or the release bearing, then its a gearbox off and on jobber which is expensive of course.

Good luck!

Les

tarmac terror 21 March 2010 08:13 PM

Dont know anything about Pugs - some cable operated clutches have a "ratchet" on the pedal which is made from plastic. I had a clutch cable become stiff on a mondeo many years back, the tension on the cable smashed the plastic ratchet when I depressed the pedal. Was cheap to fix but fiddly as anything to work at.

Have a wee check with the local lads over on www.scoobyireland.com there are a few down dublin way who may be able to advise or assist.

barnes_2k7 22 March 2010 12:21 AM

if its a 205 it will be cable. im pretty sure its a straight forward job, clutch is 50 quid on ebay, i can do a clutch on a diesel 106 in 2 hours easy. for some reason garages round here (wiltshire) charge £450 for a clutch change on a 106 (labour charged at around £45 per hour),
the 106 is vertually the same as the 205, undo drive shaft nuts, pop the ball joints, remove drive shafts, remove gear linkages, remove rear gear box stabliser, loosen bell housing bolts, unclip reverse sensor and clutch cable, support engine with a jack with a peice of wood between the sump and the jack so not to damage the sump, remove batttery to gain acess to the gear box mount and drop the box down, remove bell housing bolts and pull the box out, relativly light box. straight forward really.

PEUGEOT 205 1.9 Diesel 7/89-94 New 3 Part Clutch Kit on eBay (end time 27-Mar-10 15:42:51 GMT)

David Lock 22 March 2010 12:55 AM

Great responses guys so big thanks. I have found out that my breakdown cover is OK for Ireland so I have spoken to them and they will come out and tell him what's wrong. This should stop a garage ripping him off and he could get a free tow to a garage. Will certainly have a nosey at the Eire links - thanks.

David

David Lock 24 March 2010 07:10 PM

Just to give this thread a happy ending :)

After a lot of phoning around garages in Dublin I found a friendly cove not so far from James' house. James got the recovery guys to tow him in and garage supplied and installed new cable the same day. Cost Euros 85 all in which I thought was bloody good :thumb:

So thanks for tips everyone. David

barnes_2k7 24 March 2010 11:46 PM

glad it was the cable, was the cheapest of the options :)