ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   WORD gurus? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/822408-word-gurus.html)

David Lock 17 March 2010 11:40 AM

WORD gurus?

I have been using Word 03 for years but is has recently been reinstalled on my PC (running XP) and I think was tweaked to read the new Word documents. But there is now one very minor fault but a really annoying one!!

If I type a document, highlight some text that I don't want, the "Del" button will not remove it - it does bugger all.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Cheers, David

hutton_d 17 March 2010 11:53 AM

How about the 'backspace' key? I'm on Office 2K so can't really help. But have you tried the settings in Tools/Options/Edit? If you still have that in 2003 ...

Just to add 'Google' helps ..... http://help.lockergnome.com/office/d...ct1001697.html

"... I was having a similar problem, that highlighted text would not be
automatically overwritten when I typed or hit the backspace key. It resolved when I went to Tools>Options>Edit and highlighted the topmost box, "typing replaces selection." ..."

Does that work? Always a good idea just to paste the error message (or problem in this case) into good old google.

Dave

David Lock 17 March 2010 12:41 PM

Thanks Dave,

The backspace button works fine but is a pain in the arse to take out a whole page of text. I could also use "cut" but again that is a nuisance. And there is no delete option using mouse right click.

No message appears if I hit delete key after a highlight - it just does nothing!!

Thanks for the Google link and the question is correct but the answer centres on the Backspace key only I think.

Why are these things sent to cause me grief :cry:

David

Dedrater 17 March 2010 01:54 PM

The BACKSPACE key does not function as expected in Word

When you try to delete text in a document in Microsoft Word 2002 or in a later version of Microsoft Word by using the BACKSPACE key, the BACKSPACE key does not function as expected. That is, the BACKSPACE key does not delete the text.

CAUSE
This issue occurs when the following conditions are true.

* In the Word document, the Track Changes feature is turned on. The Track Changes command is on the Tools menu.
* On the Reviewing toolbar, either the Final view or the Original view is selected in the Display for Review list.

This behavior is a feature of Word that is designed to prevent the accidental deletion of hidden text that contains tracked changes. The Final view or the Original view may contain hidden text that contains tracked changes.

Additionally, this issue may occur if the Typing replaces selection option is off.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.

Method 1: Change the view
In the Display for Review list, change the view to either Final Showing Markup or Original Showing Markup.

Method 2: Move the insertion point past the hidden text
Use the RIGHT ARROW key or the LEFT ARROW key to move the insertion point past the hidden text. Then you can use the BACKSPACE key to delete the visible text.

Method 3: Turn on the "Typing replaces selection" option
The Typing replaces selection option deselects selected text as soon as you start to type. If you click to clear this check box, Word inserts the text that you type in front of selected text but does not delete the selected text. To delete the selected text, turn on the Typing replaces selection option. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab.
2. Click to select the Typing replaces selection check box, and then click

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Office Word 2003
* Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
hth

David Lock 18 March 2010 11:39 AM

Sorry to bring this up again chaps but, to repeat, the Backspace facility is fine and does what it always did. It's the bloody Delete button that doesn't work. If I have a lot of text to delete I used to highlight it and press Delete (and rescue using CTRL Z I think). But now if I highlight and hit Delete nothing happens. I simply can't find a setting to change this and, tbh, I don't understand many of the options anyway :(

David

Dedrater 18 March 2010 12:58 PM

Try this;

From the Tools menu, select Options and go to the General tab and uncheck
the "Help for WordPerfect users" and the "Navigation keys for WordPerfect
users"

David Lock 18 March 2010 02:38 PM

Thanks - I'll give that a whirl :)

David

David Lock 18 March 2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9293053)
Try this;

From the Tools menu, select Options and go to the General tab and uncheck
the "Help for WordPerfect users" and the "Navigation keys for WordPerfect
users"

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Terrific - that's done the trick.

MANY THANKS. David