ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   STi to WRX sweep clocks (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/821764-sti-to-wrx-sweep-clocks.html)

baz995 14 March 2010 11:44 AM

STi to WRX sweep clocks

Apologies as i am sure this question must have been asked many time before but is ti possible to fit the STi sweeping speedo cluster to a 2003 WRX blob?

HT04 14 March 2010 01:45 PM

i might be wrong, but i think it needs to be ''enabled'' on the ECU. and your cars ecu doesnt support it. i might be completely wrong tho.

dan

baz995 15 March 2010 07:57 PM

damn i would love that dash cluster, best one i have seen since my astra gte 16v :-)

daz1968 21 March 2010 10:17 AM

I have one fitted in my 03 wrx, was straightforward just a few wiring changes needed, and the abs circuit needed a relay to reverse the polarity. On 03 cars an earth to the abs warning light puts it on whereas on 05 onwards it needs an earth connection to turn it off. Also a couple of points need running to earth, one to disable the diff temp light and another to make the handbrake warning light work correctly, Sounds more complicated than it is,

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/daz1968/int3.jpg

I need to remove mine again and check changes made put the info on here, Should be able to do that over easter when I am off work

Lord Bass 20 July 2010 02:04 PM

I've just installed some of these in a 2002 WRX work fine except for the abs and hand brake lights are on. Any tips?

madey 20 July 2010 02:54 PM

I would like this mod on my 05 wrx, where would I get the correct speedo cluster?

Lord Bass 20 July 2010 03:08 PM

I found mine on here in the parts section. But they are on eb*y from time to time.

alcazar 20 July 2010 04:29 PM

e-bay is your friend;)

Lord Bass 21 July 2010 11:43 AM

anyone?

alcazar 21 July 2010 03:56 PM

Couple of small changeover relays, mounted or loose behind the dash.

Wire so that the incoming wire to the bulb holds it OPEN, then when the bulb would go out, it closes.

Lord Bass 21 July 2010 04:20 PM

Thanks i tried that after looking on nasoic but it didnt work. do u have any pics so i know i have the correct wires.

Petbeemer 21 July 2010 04:22 PM

im currently searching for this also, so lets keep it up to date, it's usefull info

Lord Bass 21 July 2010 04:28 PM

if i get it working i will post some pics etc.

alcazar 21 July 2010 05:48 PM

I don't have any pics, mine is a classic, it was just a suggestion.

Can you mark which bulbs they are and remove them?

On mine, the "wiring" is like a flexible printed circuit, so IF you knew which bulb it was, maybe you could trace the wires back? You certainly could on mine. Helpful?

I've just remembered that each bulb is labelled too, as to what it is for. At least, it is on mine.

Bequiaboy2003 21 July 2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9507088)
I don't have any pics, mine is a classic, it was just a suggestion.

Can you mark which bulbs they are and remove them?

On mine, the "wiring" is like a flexible printed circuit, so IF you knew which bulb it was, maybe you could trace the wires back? You certainly could on mine. Helpful?

I've just remembered that each bulb is labelled too, as to what it is for. At least, it is on mine.

Can you post a walkthrough on how this is done? I would like to do it on my classic as well.

Lord Bass 21 July 2010 09:02 PM

i've not taken the cluster apart but judging from the back of it. There are no bulbs its all surface mounted leds :confused:

alcazar 21 July 2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bequiaboy2003 (Post 9507478)
Can you post a walkthrough on how this is done? I would like to do it on my classic as well.

No mate. As I said, mine is a classic, so not relevant to yours, just suggestions as to how this might be solved.

alcazar 21 July 2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Bass (Post 9507510)
i've not taken the cluster apart but judging from the back of it. There are no bulbs its all surface mounted leds :confused:

Phew, it gets harder, doesn't it? Can the LEDs be removed or are they soldered in? Can you SEE the tracks to each LED? Would it be possible to cut the track, rendering the LED out of use?

BTW: my classic looked like LEDs but was surface mount capless bulbs in holders.

Lord Bass 22 July 2010 08:45 AM

i'd rather not disable the lights as they are warning lights and i'd like to know if something has gone wrong. They work atm just in reverse so they are on all the time and will go off if theres a problem.

Lord Bass 31 July 2010 09:03 PM

i'm still a bit stuck with this can anyone help?

Thanks

Lord Bass 07 August 2010 12:10 PM

got the ABS light working. any tips on what i need to earth to get the handbrake light working?

Thanks

Petbeemer 07 August 2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Bass (Post 9535370)
got the ABS light working. any tips on what i need to earth to get the handbrake light working?

Thanks

Handbrake is only a switch so should be fairly straightforward will it not

wiley 07 August 2010 01:02 PM

had some 2005 spec c ones on my 2002 wrx. all the lights stayed on which i couldnt get rid of. returned them in the end

wiley

Lord Bass 07 August 2010 01:49 PM

the hand brake switch etc work correctly. just the clocks are wired differnetly to the wrx ones, from what i gather it just needs an extra earth but i've searched for weeks and cant find any info??

Lord Bass 30 November 2010 01:07 PM

I've finally sussed it after much research lol. A relay on the abs wire to switch the reverse circuit back to normal and earth pin A2 on the clocks to make the handbrake light work correctly. The rear diff light i just put tape over it.

Thanks for all your help guys.