ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Exhausts TOO loud and antisocial. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/821690-exhausts-too-loud-and-antisocial.html)

Diesel 13 March 2010 08:05 PM

Exhausts TOO loud and antisocial.

Let people in glass houses not cast stones...but...jeez there is a chap on a Harley working next to us now and he is right getting on my nerves! His bike is SO LOUD!!!! Its just disgustingly loud and annoying - it doesn't even sound good or nice to the ear.

I've had Scoobs with straight throughs (ask Palmer on a rainy day:D:thumb:), Audis with Milteks and TVR's with no cats; even Dukes with fruity sys's. All sounded GOOD rather than anti social at only a tickover and often bought a smile to the educated - so I am no Victor Meldrew!:thumb:

This Harley tw@t though - honestly! I do not want to be connected to his right wrist action as if by Wi Fi. So what are the regs for ugly antisocial stupid exhausts that produce nothing more than lame limp pose power? I need this to stop winding me up and interrupting conversations!

D

corradoboy 13 March 2010 08:19 PM

Section 59

dpb 13 March 2010 08:23 PM

i passed one of these today on the way up to Suffolk from Sussex , had some kind of branding on the jacket , i think alluding to some sort of 'devils chapter...etc..etc...'

Go round and tell him he must be some kin of poof cos hes trying too hard :thumb:

Diesel 13 March 2010 08:39 PM

O'hh he had me and two kids with fingers in our ears staring about two hours ago - we aint scared of dirty denim, a wheezy 80 horsepower bike, tats or beards!!! We have 'em all! LOL. D

DYK 13 March 2010 08:51 PM

This has just reminded me,if anyone lives near wootton bassett watch out for a load of bikers this weekend,got a few mates who are doing it...:D

RFSA180 13 March 2010 08:59 PM

Leave him to it you big Prius!

dunx 13 March 2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9283706)
Section 59

Not to mention the local council's noise abatement department.....

dunx

P.S. I love a burble (Scoob), but Harleys :nono:

ilogikal1 13 March 2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9283790)
Not to mention the local council's noise abatement department.....

dunx

P.S. I love a burble (Scoob), but Harleys :nono:

What he said.

Other than the procedural formalities there's very little requirements for and noise to be considered a "nuisance" and an abatement order will be issued - basically it comes down to whether the environmental health officer agrees that the noise is a nuisance, they'll issue two warnings to stop making the noise then the abatement.

P.S. Environmental Health don't like Scoobs (well, mine anyway) so a Harley's got no chance!

corradoboy 13 March 2010 10:32 PM

Under S59, simply informing the Plod with his reg should result in a warning letter or visit. If a second complaint is made they may issue an official warning, and on the third they could seize the vehicle. Can be done on the roadside too, where the officers opinion is enough to proceed.

hutton_d 13 March 2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9283997)
Under S59, simply informing the Plod with his reg should result in a warning letter or visit. If a second complaint is made they may issue an official warning, and on the third they could seize the vehicle. Can be done on the roadside too, where the officers opinion is enough to proceed.

... which just shows how cr*p our laws are, if a member of the public can just 'complain' to the police and the guy gets a warning letter. Guilty until proven innocent obviously. And this is the same 'section 59' that has most of SN jumping up and down when it's applied to a Scoob ...... :cuckoo:

Dave

scud8 13 March 2010 10:52 PM

My neighbour has a harley and loads of his mates often turn up on a Sunday morning to go for a ride. They're loud, but not a big deal, and they don't sit outside revving them or doing burn-outs, so no-one has a problem with it (he's an ex bank manager, so not exactly hard).

Don't get me started on the t*at with the Porsche at the end of our road who treats it like it is his own Santa Pod. One day I'm going to lose it and go and do doughnuts outside his house to see how he likes it.

richie001 13 March 2010 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9284009)
... which just shows how cr*p our laws are, if a member of the public can just 'complain' to the police and the guy gets a warning letter. Guilty until proven innocent obviously. And this is the same 'section 59' that has most of SN jumping up and down when it's applied to a Scoob ...... :cuckoo:

Dave

:thumb:

ALi-B 13 March 2010 11:24 PM

Muffler in a can;

http://www.polycell.co.uk/web/media/..._polyfilla.jpg

Just takes two ticks :D

Argree on Harleys though. Never heard one that sounds nice, not even a Buell. Bonneville or BSA Gold-flash sound the dogs, Harleys on the other hand sound shyte with open pipes.

This is from someone who made the mistake of going to Daytona during bike week. Never before have I seen so many prats enduring a midlife crisis who can't ride, take a bike with no silencers from their trailer (which they used to bring their bike(s) to Daytona), then proceed to ride round in circles all day - for the whole week, annoying proper bikers as well as anyone who happened to be nearby.

(Never condoned scoobs with excessively loud exhausts either -especially with unequal headers, they just sound like a VW Beetle with a blowing silencer :lol1: )

Lisawrx 14 March 2010 01:30 AM

Dave

Have to agree here. :thumb:

Just because you don't like the noise of something, remember they may well not like the sound of your car. Would you be happy for a complaint to come your way because of someone elses opinion? Each to their own, unless they are really causing a major issue.

I'm sure there are people 'educated' or not that have heard your cars and not appreciated the noise (regardless of whether you liked it), but I bet you'd be pissed if they'd complained.

I haven't really got an opinion of Harleys either way, but get on with it unless it is really antisocial, and consider if you could be construed the same way, past or present.

All imo

paulwrxboro 14 March 2010 01:44 AM

Live and let live , don't report it FFS

hutton_d 14 March 2010 09:43 AM

Walking down Friar Street in Reading a few years back and there were two Harleys parked outside of one of the 'slightly down at heel' pubs. The riders came out just as two policemen walked by. They started them up and it was obvious that neither had anything resembling a silencer in the exhausts. Sounded like WW3 had started. The policemen didn't even bat an eyelid, just kept walking .....

Dave

ALi-B 14 March 2010 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 9284220)
Have to agree here. :thumb:

Just because you don't like the noise of something, remember they may well not like the sound of your car. Would you be happy for a complaint to come your way because of someone elses opinion? Each to their own, unless they are really causing a major issue.

I'm sure there are people 'educated' or not that have heard your cars and not appreciated the noise (regardless of whether you liked it), but I bet you'd be pissed if they'd complained.

I haven't really got an opinion of Harleys either way, but get on with it unless it is really antisocial, and consider if you could be construed the same way, past or present.

All imo

Thing is Lisa a Harley on straight through pipes or with fishtails pipes are ear piercingly loud. In comparison they're much louder than a scoob with a straight through exhaust. So I could understand the annoyance and disturbance it gives the OP if he's few doors down from it.

You should try being in a hotel room with one in the room below doing a burnout (yes, a burn out IN the hotel room), then you can fully appreciate just how noisy these things can be when running open exhaust pipes. :D

Leslie 14 March 2010 11:26 AM

I agree with you Diesel. It really is unfair to be making that sort of racket all the time.

We all like a bit of exhaust noise early on in our driving or riding careers, it even used to make us think we were going faster too! My Lotus Cortina with a short side exhaust used to sort the local stroppy dogs out, but it is unfair to be making that kind of noise for the neighbours' benefit. Not so bad on a single pass for a few seconds.

Can you play the trumpet, late at night outside his door?

Les

Diesel 14 March 2010 01:19 PM

Haaaa! Yes!!! I actually own a trumpet and can blow my own!!!!

Can't see me reporting it to be honest; just put up with my moans here instead pls!

It is far louder and far uglier than ANY car noise. Honestly it's REALLY absurdly loud. It must be to make a petrolhead whinge!

D

subaruturbo_18 14 March 2010 03:24 PM

I was DJing in a bar once in the summer so all of the front was opened up. A Harley pulled up and it drowned out my music lol.

This may have some relevence.... YouTube - south park- Harley Cough

J4CKO 14 March 2010 03:34 PM

Harleys do sound sh1t, usually Jap stuff sounds better but I dont want to hear it howling down the bypass at 2am, sometimes its just a cry for help from the owners, like some private plates its just shouting "look at me, im so individual and special", some cars sound superb but dont cause headaches, an RS6 on Miltek as mentioned earlier went past me the other day, it was audible but not offensive so it can be done.

astraboy 14 March 2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9284449)
I agree with you Diesel. It really is unfair to be making that sort of racket all the time.

We all like a bit of exhaust noise early on in our driving or riding careers, it even used to make us think we were going faster too! My Lotus Cortina with a short side exhaust used to sort the local stroppy dogs out, but it is unfair to be making that kind of noise for the neighbours' benefit. Not so bad on a single pass for a few seconds.

Can you play the trumpet, late at night outside his door?

Les

Agreed. After all, a bikes got wheels hasnt it? I'm all for loud exhausts on the road, but revving it outside his house for no reason at all is just inconsiderate.
astraboy.

GOD! 14 March 2010 03:48 PM

and no one suggests actually mentioning to him that he's making a lot of noise and you'd appreciate him keeping it to a minimum?

I gave you the power of speech, try using it! ;)

Now, where shall my next quake be?

r32 14 March 2010 05:05 PM

One mans meat ................................

Timwinner 14 March 2010 05:49 PM

Dave

Not true, not how it works.... For the 100th time, You cant get a S59 from hear say evidence.

hutton_d 14 March 2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Timwinner (Post 9285124)
Not true, not how it works.... For the 100th time, You cant get a S59 from hear say evidence.

That's good to hear. Now tell ....

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9283997)

... 'cos that was the post I was responding to!

So, if a member of the public did complain to plod about a noisy exhaust then what would plod say/do?

Dave

Diesel 14 March 2010 08:23 PM

Mate - they'd probably measure it. Then either biker or Victor Meldrew gets the bullet... D

Diesel 14 March 2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GOD! (Post 9284885)
and no one suggests actually mentioning to him that he's making a lot of noise and you'd appreciate him keeping it to a minimum?

I gave you the power of speech, try using it! ;)

Now, where shall my next quake be?

Yeah - like he's just seen 3 people with fingers in ears (admittedly a smirk on my face too) and then gives it the full beans after the pedestrian crossing. Think he was up to 40 after half a mile, but the bricks were crumbling!!!

The 104dB HKS on my Evo was as nice as my STI V SS system. The 100dB Miltek on my RS4 was an absolute symphony. This 115dB+ damaged tractor thing is an utter cacophony!

Great link above too LOL.

D

hodgy0_2 14 March 2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 9284655)
Haaaa! Yes!!! I actually own a trumpet and can blow my own!!!!

D

that's not a bad party trick

Diesel 14 March 2010 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9285526)
that's not a bad party trick

Did u just say that in a Keneth Williams style voice? Ooo err missus! ;)