ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Has anyone applied to the council for internal alterations? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/821016-has-anyone-applied-to-the-council-for-internal-alterations.html)

cookstar 10 March 2010 01:59 PM

Has anyone applied to the council for internal alterations?

Currently doing a conversion (one bed to two) and am in the process of gaining permission from the Landlord (The local Council)

Just wondered if any of you had dealt with this kind of thing in the past and what was the outcome?

Cheers.

sarasquares 10 March 2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 9276582)
Currently doing a conversion (one bed to two) and am in the process of gaining permission from the Landlord (The local Council)

Just wondered if any of you had dealt with this kind of thing in the past and what was the outcome?

Cheers.

I had a stud wall put up and didnt get permission as it was a removable structure. I dont know if things have changed. You may be liable for a higher rent or council tax or something. I think you just right in and wait for a reply.

cookstar 10 March 2010 02:17 PM

Bit more than a stud wall, second bedroom is where the kitchen was, and the kitchen is now open plan in the lounge.

sarasquares 10 March 2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 9276622)
Bit more than a stud wall, second bedroom is where the kitchen was, and the kitchen is now open plan in the lounge.

I would ring the council ring the council and ask them about the process. Its different depending on how much you are changing. I would assume a surveyor etc will have to come out.

Coffin Dodger 10 March 2010 02:53 PM

Surely that sort of thing has to be submitted for building control approval? Especially as it seems you can barely even change a light bulb now without getting someone to sign it off :(

corradoboy 10 March 2010 03:26 PM

Oops, I'd better keep quiet :D

It was done before we bought it, honest !

Dingdongler 10 March 2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9276747)
Oops, I'd better keep quiet :D

It was done before we bought it, honest !

I wouldn't stress about it, you can always get all these things retrospectively. It is a good idea to get all the paper work sorted though, when you come to sell these alterations maybe picked up by the buyers surveyor and they may not get lending if you can't prove its been done to current building regs.

I can't see why you should need planning permission but if you've knocked out a supporting wall you would need a building regs certificate.

corradoboy 10 March 2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9276760)
if you've knocked out a supporting wall you would need a building regs certificate.

Guess we need a building regs certificate then !

cookstar 10 March 2010 05:19 PM

Right does anyone know if there is a time period where you automatically get permission (subject to conforming to building regs). I know there is a rule for exterior works but not sure about internal.

Jamie 10 March 2010 05:31 PM

Sorry no help here :(