ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Recommend me a virus checker please (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/820147-recommend-me-a-virus-checker-please.html)

CrisPDuk 05 March 2010 10:47 PM

Recommend me a virus checker please

My Norton subscription is up, and I'm fed up of having to manually remove everything it finds because it won't do it automatically.

Is there something better out there :wonder:

stevebt 05 March 2010 11:17 PM

I have been using Kaspersky for years with no complaints, but if you have an old/slow computer the scans can really drain the power for when your using it.

ALi-B 05 March 2010 11:33 PM

Nod32

Been using it for the past three years now :thumb:

Milamber 06 March 2010 12:57 AM

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...solutions.html

Bravo2zero_sps 06 March 2010 09:31 AM

Kaspersky and if you use Barclays online banking you get a 3 user license for free through them.

STi wanna Subaru 06 March 2010 09:54 AM

Nod32 here

DJ_Jon 06 March 2010 09:58 AM

microsoft Security Essentials/

Hanley 07 March 2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon (Post 9267635)

I'll second MS Security Essentials

A very good free product

:)

Bravo2zero_sps 07 March 2010 08:24 AM

Yep i'll third that. I use it on machines I haven't got a Kaspersky license for.

Granby 07 March 2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9269327)
Yep i'll third that. I use it on machines I haven't got a Kaspersky license for.

Forth that :), took virgin media's pc guard off all my pc's and replaced with this :thumb:

GC8 07 March 2010 09:42 AM

NOD32 for me.

Bravo2zero_sps 07 March 2010 10:51 AM

Anyone got as link for a sub £10 3 user license for Kaspersky? I get mine free, this is for a family member. Can't seem to find any cheap deals at them moment :wonder:

baldfox 07 March 2010 11:38 AM

Here's my 2p's worth...

Norton's is a b1tch to uninstall, as are most of the bloated anti-virus programs... Download and use a program called revouninstaller (freeware) - this is an excellent program that allows you to completely uninstall a program, and then remove it's existence from the registry (don't be nervous about cleaning things out of this)... You'll probably find loads of things that you want to clean out - will make your pc run smoother quicker etc...

Then when everything's uninstalled, download and run "CC cleaner" (again freeware), this will fix and clean any leftovers from the uninstallation / clean up temp files etc etc you know general maintenance.

I would then (as I normally do) download AVG (there's a pro version, or the free version), I use the free version, and I never have any problems at all. It's just as effective as norton's / mcafee, and nowhere near as bloated. I also install MBAM (MalwareBytes - freeware) which also does a good job at looking for spyware etc.

PM me if you need anymore help....
Good luck guys !

Scooby Soon! 10 March 2010 01:16 PM

well just a quick update to this been using NOD32 ,Kapersky, virgin essentials and Avast on my mixtures of PC's I have installed microsoft security essentials on each PC one by one and it is finding a viruses and trojans on every PC!

Normally only one or two but it seems the other virus scanners don't pick them up, I hate to say it but the free microsoft one is excellent!

baz995 10 March 2010 01:46 PM

AVG its free and very good, didnt Norton get taken to court a few years back for actually writing viruses then being the first in the business to find them

Scoobychick 10 March 2010 01:49 PM

NOD32 for me, well Eset Smart Security 4 actually :thumb:

I started on NOD32 for a year then got the whole package thingy.

suba 10 March 2010 02:44 PM

how about symantec end point 11? is it better than symantec antivirus 10?

Iain Young 10 March 2010 02:46 PM

No. I have to use enpoint at work and it's terrible :(

Scooby Soon! 10 March 2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by baz995 (Post 9276566)
AVG its free and very good, didnt Norton get taken to court a few years back for actually writing viruses then being the first in the business to find them

Its not very good on my pc as it seems to miss a lot of trojans and viruses, I am currently running a full deep scan with microsoft essentials on a PC that has previously had AVG, Avast and Virgin essentials so be careful!

NickAdams 11 March 2010 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9269512)
Anyone got as link for a sub £10 3 user license for Kaspersky? I get mine free, this is for a family member. Can't seem to find any cheap deals at them moment :wonder:

"The Works" sell the 2009 version of Kaspersky internet security for £7.99 in store. Bought a couple about 3 weeks or so ago. Apparently, it can be upgraded to 2010 too! :D

_Meridian_ 11 March 2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by baldfox (Post 9269594)
Norton's is a b1tch to uninstall, as are most of the bloated anti-virus programs... Download and use a program called revouninstaller (freeware) - this is an excellent program that allows you to completely uninstall a program,

You can get a proper program for doing this from Norton/Symantec themselves, and it worked just fine: I used it on my lappie.

As for the original question, I use NOD32 and M$ Security Essentials on various machines. Both are pretty unobtrusive and use very little resources.

M

Bravo2zero_sps 11 March 2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by NickAdams (Post 9278077)
"The Works" sell the 2009 version of Kaspersky internet security for £7.99 in store. Bought a couple about 3 weeks or so ago. Apparently, it can be upgraded to 2010 too! :D

Ah has to be in store. Didn't realise this, can only check their website as don't have a store locally. Yes 2009 can be upgraded to 2010 free of charge and have done that with all my existing Kaspersky licenses.

Scooby Soon! 11 March 2010 09:43 AM

Well just came in to work after running a full scan on another PC with microsoft essentials and another Trojan found!

This is my main PC and its had Kapersky, Avast, virgin essentials and AVG on it and they never picked it up and the file the trojan was in has been on my PC since 2008!

Bravo2zero_sps 11 March 2010 10:19 AM

Are you checking for false positives? Kaspersky is very good so I wouldn't expect Microsoft's free one to be finding stuff that one of the market leading AV products doesn't find.

Scooby Soon! 11 March 2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9278372)
Are you checking for false positives? Kaspersky is very good so I wouldn't expect Microsoft's free one to be finding stuff that one of the market leading AV products doesn't find.

Definitely not false positives I can not understand it either to be honest, I have run so many virus scanners on my PC's always trying to find the best one and they were always up to date.

This is what I just got on my personal work PC, (I have deleted end of file paths)

Category: Trojan

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.

Items:
containerfile:C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\My Documents\***
file:C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\My Documents\**
file:C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP1256\A0151135.lnk

Granby 11 March 2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9278317)
Well just came in to work after running a full scan on another PC with microsoft essentials and another Trojan found!

This is my main PC and its had Kapersky, Avast, virgin essentials and AVG on it and they never picked it up and the file the trojan was in has been on my PC since 2008!

Well that is shocking isn't it :eek:, not the fact that Kapersky missed a trojan but that Mircrosoft actually seem to be making a decent product and its free :lol1:

Dr.No 11 March 2010 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9278317)

I'll second that!

MS Security Essentials is VERY good - and I've replaced NOD32 with it on many of my machines.

Earlier this year a friends laptop was so virus/trojan ridden that it would hardly boot into Windows.... AVG, NOD32, Malware Bytes and lots of other "recommended" anti-virus and anti-malware software all scanned it and removed whatever they could - but it still ran like a dog and was obviously still full of trojans etc.

One quick install and run of MSSE and it found a LOT of stuff that was previously unfound, removed them all very quickly and easily and the machine was almost like new again. I was amazed....

I now recommend MSSE to everyone - it's free and it works very well.