ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) (https://www.scoobynet.com/west-yorkshire-impreza-owners-club-wyioc-366/)
-   -   Yorkshires Best Driving Roads/Routes Thread.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/west-yorkshire-impreza-owners-club-wyioc-366/819963-yorkshires-best-driving-roads-routes-thread.html)

eggy790 04 March 2010 11:02 PM

Yorkshires Best Driving Roads/Routes Thread..

Hi guys

thought i'd start a thread where you can put the names/addresses/postcodes/locations of our best roads in yorkshire to go for a nice drive.

i'll start with one i go on quite regularly ..dont really have a address but..

1) If you take the road from Howarth, through Stanbury, towards Colne..

2) When you get to the A6068 at Laneshawbridge, you will see a pub called 'the Emmot'

3) Go straight across and down the country lane for half a mile..

4) You will reach a T Junction..

5) Turn right (at the junction)

This will take you on the old road to Skipton, with some interesting bends :thumb:

Lofty91 05 March 2010 06:46 PM

Buttertubs Pass:thumb:

Did this last year in the girlfriends MR2 and i really want to get my car on it in the summer.

dunx 05 March 2010 06:59 PM

Club runs head out of Ilkley to Tan Hill, Buttertubbs, Muker and beyond, I also love the run up through the Pennines to Kielder Forest.

dunx

budd 05 March 2010 07:29 PM

another vote for Buttertubs, also the road from the Ribble viaduct to Hawes is pretty special but you need to there early 7am ish or it gets to busy with muppets

Bez300 05 March 2010 07:37 PM

It looks like we might be having a Sunday morning run. bout time.

ace

tops

fab

Bez

eggy790 06 March 2010 12:25 AM

ive never done the buttertubs pass run, how would i find it? or locate the stretch?

corradoboy 06 March 2010 12:47 AM

Buttertubs...

Muker, Richmond, UK to Hawes, UK - Google Maps

Ribblehead....

Ingleton, Carnforth, Lancashire, UK to Hawes, North Yorkshire, UK - Google Maps

Bolton Abbey to Aysgarth...

Bolton Abbey, Skipton-on-Swale, UK to Aysgarth, Leyburn, UK - Google Maps

Greehow Hill...

Blubberhouses, Otley, West Yorkshire, UK to Greenhow Hill, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK - Google Maps

The Ranges :notworthy

West Witton, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, UK to Kettlewell, Skipton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire, UK - Google Maps

Malham Moor....

Malham, Skipton-on-Swale, UK to Arncliffe, Skipton-on-Swale, UK - Google Maps

eggy790 06 March 2010 10:19 PM

wow some good links there

i'll put that road in next weekend, and take a trip to the buttertubs pass :D

corradoboy 06 March 2010 11:08 PM

Ribblesdale is better. Faster, more flowing, good sight-lines and some interesting camber changes. And then there's the 'YUMP' 2 miles outside Hawes :eek: Anything over 70 gets air :norty:

If you're going over the weekend remember the three P's ! Pensioners clogging up the roads, Pillocks on bikes and in chav/barry hunchbacks, and PLOD. Triple the number as during the week.

zs_phil 06 March 2010 11:33 PM

when i lived in malham i used to like the road that goes between kirby malham and settle over the tops or helifield to malham
just not very long but very tight corners
:thumb:
blubberhouses is also a good road but like said watch for the plod hiding at the side of the roads

corradoboy 06 March 2010 11:45 PM

When I used to go out for some 'fun', I used to take it reasonably steady on the run to a good road, then drive it through at the limit, checking for Plod. If it was clear I'd drive it flat out a couple of times back and forth before moving on to another good stretch. Repeat ad infinitum.

zs_phil 06 March 2010 11:49 PM

good idea ,another good route but not a good one in summer is skipton to settle ,it gets very very busy in the summer months full of bikes and caravans
also a couple of speed camera's now

corradoboy 07 March 2010 12:05 AM

A65 :eek: Nightmare of a road most of the time. Too many lorries, tractors, pensioners, average $h!t drivers, bikes, coppers etc etc. Solid double whites nearly all the way, sCamera vans, it's a ruined road. Don't get me wrong, in the absence of all of the above it is a stunning stretch of tarmac, but you'd need to pick a very good time to exploit it properly. Last time raped that road properly was on the day of Diana's funeral :idea: Not a soul on the roads all day :cool: A once in a lifetime drivers delight of a day.

zs_phil 07 March 2010 12:12 AM

havnt been down that road properly now for a good 9 years ,i went back 4 weeks ago and it was 7pm black and pea soup all the way from east yorkshire to 10 miles west of settle ,could only get upto about 40mph because of the fog and i had forgot the twisties
nearly all solid lines now :eek: was a great road many moons ago .
1 more road but not in the dales ....kirkstone pass in the lakes :thumb:

ps i had my first scooby back in 1999 from midgley motor company and it loved them roads :norty: ,dont think mmc sell sports cars now though

corradoboy 07 March 2010 12:22 AM

Oh, I know the Lakes well. Kirkstone, Whinlatter, Wrynose, Hardknott and Honister. All excellent. Especially Wrynose and Hardknott....

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...es/wrynose.jpg

© Sticky Stuff

zs_phil 07 March 2010 12:31 AM

now that is a great picture :notworthy,cannot wait for the warmer weather to come around june time ,going up to malham with the wife and driving to the lakes
ill have to keep my sensible head on driving on the a65 thanks for the info on that road :thumb:

edited to say hardknott pass is a road i will be enjoying this year did mean to go last year but didnt have time

corradoboy 07 March 2010 12:36 AM

Don't use it then. Plenty of other, better routes. They will maybe take longer (depending how many tractors etc are on the A65) but will be much more rewarding. I like getting lost and knowing only that I need to head west, or wherever. Then get the map/satnav out after a few hours to actually get to the destination, AFTER I've had my fun :D

zs_phil 07 March 2010 12:46 AM

im a get in the car and drive man i dont own a sat nav ,she bought me one for my birthday last year and i made her return it ,i also enjoy finding the place i need to go and maybe getting lost in the process its how good roads are found ,satnavs go the quickest main route which normally entail motorways duelcarriage ways or the straightest A road :lol1:
it drives her bonkers :D

1 little pic of hardknott pass
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/10/...7_d9656394.jpg
:luvlove:

corradoboy 07 March 2010 01:54 AM

They can have a benefit. I have been known to use it to predict the layout of approaching bends on roads I am unfamiliar with. It has saved me from a few 'Oh $h!.....' moments like this. But in general, I agree with what you say. I mostly use it to find customers houses quickly and easily in and around the city.

eggy790 07 March 2010 09:33 AM

wow is that pic of the hardknot pass the actual road?

and corrado : is the ribbles head link the ribblesdale road your talking off? i guess i could do buttertubs and that together, they are nearby.

didnt realise they are 50miles from my house lol

budd 07 March 2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9269067)
Ribblesdale is better. Faster, more flowing, good sight-lines and some interesting camber changes. And then there's the 'YUMP' 2 miles outside Hawes :eek: Anything over 70 gets air :norty:

If you're going over the weekend remember the three P's ! Pensioners clogging up the roads, Pillocks on bikes and in chav/barry hunchbacks, and PLOD. Triple the number as during the week.

your not wrong about the 'yump' it caught me out last year, I was in a big power Nissan 200SX, I'd just over taken 2 bikes at 100+ mph approaching Hawes and didn't know the yump was there!!! talk about air it felt like something from the dukes of hazard!!! it curtailed my day out too ,ripping the frount mount off it's mountings and pushing it nearly up into the bonnet, also knocked the exhaust into the prop shaft, I managed to limp home and was lucky the damage wasn't much worse.
And your right about the 3 'Ps' the only way to have some fun is get there early, get there at 7ish and you can have some fun, after 9am is pretty much a waste of time also watch out for bikes, some of the bikers are surprisingly slow and tend to weave from one side of the road to the other and it can be tricky picking them off safely, mind you the bikers that can ride are really fast down there.

eggy790 08 March 2010 11:42 AM

YouTube - 10 mins if driving heaven

this looks like a good road, although nr manchester

corradoboy 08 March 2010 01:31 PM

Cat'n'Fiddle, sadly no longer with us. It has been killed by the fitting of average speed cameras along its length with a 50mph limit :( Was brilliant previously.

dunx 08 March 2010 09:33 PM

Just need some black tape and a bit of darkness to cover one's tracks....

LOL

dunx

corradoboy 09 March 2010 10:06 AM

I once didn't notice a crisp packet had stuck to my plate. You know, one of those foil ones :rolleyes: They should do something about all this litter blowing around :idea:

DaveSTI350 15 March 2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9273975)
I once didn't notice a crisp packet had stuck to my plate. You know, one of those foil ones :rolleyes: They should do something about all this litter blowing around :idea:

Wow Dave..... Did not know you did not like Bikes pal... :Suspiciou

Pillocks..???... Not all are mate... ;)

Dave..

GSX 1400/KTM 450EXC.... :thumb:

DaveSTI350 15 March 2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9269067)

:nono::nono: Bikes are.. :cool:

JJTurbo 15 March 2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 9269109)
when i lived in malham i used to like the road that goes between kirby malham and settle over the tops or helifield to malham
just not very long but very tight corners
blubberhouses is also a good road but like said watch for the plod hiding at the side of the roads

I wouldn't worry too much about Plod in the Blubberhouses area... most of them are tasked with looking after the local RAF base... and they don't have any equipment on board there vehicles to clock you speeding. Just lots of guns :eek:
But always best to keep an eye out and not draw attention to ya self :idea:

corradoboy 15 March 2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSTI350 (Post 9287175)
:nono::nono: Bikes are.. :cool:

I agree, and so are many bikers. Some spoil things though, but it's the same with cars. There's idiots everywhere.