ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Lord Ashcroft to be named and shamed on 1st April? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/819773-lord-ashcroft-to-be-named-and-shamed-on-1st-april.html)

SunnySideUp 03 March 2010 11:44 PM

Lord Ashcroft to be named and shamed on 1st April?

Tax cheats will be named and shamed by HM Revenue & Customs from 1 April, if they have dodged more than £25,000 of tax.

The new policy was announced in last year's budget but the date from which it starts has now been decided.

The idea is based on a long-standing policy in Ireland where publication of the identities of tax cheats attracts widespread publicity.

"This new approach should make people think again about trying to get away with tax fraud," said Stephen Timms, Financial Secretary to the Treasury.

"As well as having to pay the tax, interest on the tax, plus penalties of up to 100% of the tax lost, they also now risk being identified publicly," he added.

Excellent news .... beware all you Tories!!! :lol1:

BBC News - Tax dodgers to be named and shamed from 1 April

Terminator X 03 March 2010 11:48 PM

Tax fraud :wonder: shouldn't they just send them to prison?

TX.

Lee247 03 March 2010 11:52 PM

Will the MP's be included in this or just us grunts, as usual :D

alcazar 04 March 2010 06:27 AM

Never going to happen: too many Labour Lords in there too;)

^OPM^ 04 March 2010 08:05 AM

As I understand it-Lord Ashcroft isn't a tax dodger and therefore wont be named and shamed -what he did do is pay tax on all his money earnt in this country and money earnt outside this country he didnt pay tax on here as allowed to-simple :notworthy

SimonD 04 March 2010 09:08 AM

Aha! Tax evasion vs Tax avoidance....... a fine line normally defined by the cost and/or "quality" of your lawyers, bankers and accountants.

hutton_d 04 March 2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9263008)
Excellent news .... beware all you Tories!!! :lol1:

BBC News - Tax dodgers to be named and shamed from 1 April

Give it a rest Pete! You going for the most 'wind-up threads' ever on SN on the same subject or what? :hjtwofing

Dave

SJ_Skyline 04 March 2010 09:30 AM

Will your name be on the list Pete?

If memory serves me right you used to bang on about your immense wealth. I hope you've been paying tax on it like a good citizen. :thumb:

Leslie 04 March 2010 10:11 AM

Wiil the Non Doms who are contributing to NL also be named Pete?

Les

scud8 04 March 2010 07:28 PM

Being a non-dom is entirely legal and can in no way be described as tax fraud. I hope for Pete's sake Ashcroft doesn't read Scoobynet as I suspect he can afford plenty of lawyers.

SunnySideUp 04 March 2010 07:30 PM

I can afford plenty of Lawyers too :D

Besides, I posted that last night when I was rather under the influence ;)

kingofturds 04 March 2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9263327)
Wiil the Non Doms who are contributing to NL also be named Pete?

Les

Mandleson was on the news earlier lamenting Lord ashcroft, when the interviewer asked him about Labour nomdoms and the cash for peerages scandal he squirmed.