ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   recommend some irons (golf) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/819556-recommend-some-irons-golf.html)

zs_phil 02 March 2010 08:51 PM

recommend some irons (golf)

thinking of some new irons this year as i think its going to be a cracker of a summer :Whatever_ :Dhopefully .
got a budget of £400
seen some taylormade burners but is there some others people recommend

:thumb:

o and a new bag ;) :thumb:

The Dogs B******s 02 March 2010 08:55 PM

Have a look here:- Direct Golf UK, Golf Equipment, Golf Clubs, Shoes, Balls, Bags

cster 02 March 2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 9260363)
thinking of some new irons this year as i think its going to be a cracker of a summer :Whatever_ :Dhopefully .
got a budget of £400
seen some taylormade burners but is there some others people recommend

o and a new bag ;) :thumb:

For that money, the Taylormade Burner 09 Irons are what I would recommend.
Obviously I have a set, but when other people use them, they always say they want a set, so I guess that's a good recommendation.

zs_phil 02 March 2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 9260385)
For that money, the Taylormade Burner 09 Irons are what I would recommend.
Obviously I have a set, but when other people use them, they always say they want a set, so I guess that's a good recommendation.

these are the ones ive seen but are slightly above at £469 from american golf ,so you highly recommend these then

Bram 02 March 2010 09:44 PM

I bought the Ping i10 customed to me, I like them and added 10 yards on my previous Ping G10. They (i10) sit just right behind the ball and not over bulbous like my G10 and do not hit it as high thank god, was getting sick of the ball flight.

The new Ping's must be worth a look along with Mizuno/Titlist/Taylor Mades. But until you can hit them you will not know and get them mached to your swing/tempo Mizuno do it just like my Ping were done. Extra yards can be had.

Trout 02 March 2010 10:20 PM

Elins are very good.

They are the only club used to beat Tiger...

...I'll get ma coat :)

G-Mac 181 02 March 2010 11:32 PM

I bought my Taylormade burners last year for £450 from world of golf, also got fitted for them, and it's made a great difference to my game.

RobJenks 03 March 2010 03:29 AM

I have just replaced my set of Taylormade burners with Yamaha Impress X . The shafts are lightweight , high tensile steel . The result is higher swing speed due to the lower mass and great feel .

the watchman 03 March 2010 07:02 AM

taylormade burner 2009`s for me. got them for just over £400 - did a price match between american golf & direct golf to get the best price. you could also try golfbidder.com they have some good used iron sets on offer.

bigsinky 03 March 2010 07:06 AM

i would recommend Wilson fat shafts. a lot more forgiving than other clubs by all accounts and i should know. They have have taken me from 28 to 15.8, which i am rather proud of.

cster 03 March 2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 9260389)
these are the ones ive seen but are slightly above at £469 from american golf ,so you highly recommend these then

Yeah, I love them. Being cavity backed, they are fairly forgiving and seem to favour a draw shape in my experience.
TBH I think a lot of it is how the clubs look in your minds eye. Visual cues and that sort of thing. That is not scientific, but if I stand over a ball with say a blade iron - it does not seem to give me much confidence.
From what I can gather, matching the shaft type and your swing speed is very important.
I guess the best advice would be top go somewhere like American golf and have a chat, get them to check out your swing speed and see what they say.
If you use hybrid woods, there is probably not much point getting a four iron or below if you are looking to save a bit of money.
Happy hunting!