ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Watchmen ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/819070-watchmen.html)

greatgonzo 28 February 2010 06:44 PM

Watchmen ???

Going to watch this tonight (watchmen) Looking forward to it :norty: any comments ???

DYK 28 February 2010 06:48 PM

yea i seen it pritty ok film..It's different

ahar 28 February 2010 06:49 PM

Good, but a little long

Kieran_Burns 28 February 2010 06:59 PM

Yeah - make sure you're comfortable :)

It IS a good film - not your average offering; a little film noir, a little Marvel comics, some mystery, and a dash of sexual overtones....

SirFozzalot 28 February 2010 07:12 PM

Wasn't what I was expecting but not bad.

Moley 28 February 2010 07:14 PM

Weird, and about 2 hrs too long

Jaybird-UK 28 February 2010 07:15 PM

too much blue penis for my liking

graeme jones 28 February 2010 07:21 PM

Turned it off after an hour, apparently it does get going but i wasn't prepared to wait another 60 mins to find out!

DYK 28 February 2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9255589)

:lol::lol::lol:

I was going to say that but didn't..

Will 28 February 2010 07:28 PM

What's it about then?

DYK 28 February 2010 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mr_impreza (Post 9255636)
What's it about then?

I did like the fighting part in the prison..

Watchmen" is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity... but who is watching the Watchmen?"

Neanderthal 28 February 2010 07:44 PM

I thought it was rubbish, far too long!
The girl in latex helped just keep my attention for the 5 hours (felt like it!) it was on

corradoboy 28 February 2010 07:45 PM

I was longing for it to end, and was really annoyed when I realised that I had the second half on another torrent to get through as well. Just didn't do it for me at all, which is a shame as I loved Sin City and this has a similar style to the visuals. The Spirit was even worse ! I hope Sin City 2 (and maybe 3 :wonder: ) recover this genre for me :(

Will 28 February 2010 07:45 PM

Is Superman and Spiderman in it? And does Spiderman drop the soap in the shower and Superman super bumms him??

:D

AllanB 28 February 2010 08:01 PM

I love films but even I thought it was pants. Wierd and boring.

Will 28 February 2010 08:10 PM

I watched Seven Pounds this morning, now that was good.

DYK 28 February 2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by mr_impreza (Post 9255683)
Is Superman and Spiderman in it? And does Spiderman drop the soap in the shower and Superman super bumms him??

:D

Now even i starting to think your going Ghey....:Suspiciou

Kieran_Burns 28 February 2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9255589)

now why the hell did I forget about the abundance of blue penis.... :Suspiciou

BULLITT 28 February 2010 08:31 PM

I liked it, stuck true to the genre of comics it was from instead of selling out for the money.

It was long for an action film as they don't last longer than 90mins usually but it didn't bother me. I understand that they had to get as much into it as possible, like character backgrounds, the history of The Watchmen etc, as there isn't going to be a sequel.

BULLITT 28 February 2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 9255804)
now why the hell did I forget about the abundance of blue penis.... :Suspiciou

lol, I found this a little unnecessary as well lol

greatgonzo 01 March 2010 07:21 PM

Oh well only wasted 3 hours of my life :(
What a load of crap! It just tried to be to cool and dark but did neither. Cult movie ? Never !

DCI Gene Hunt 01 March 2010 07:24 PM

Load of balls..... a massive "FAIL" - but you needed to see it for yourself. Give it time, you'll eventually forget the pain of wasted life - one day it'll all seem like a distant memory!

STi wanna Subaru 01 March 2010 08:45 PM

I enjoyed it. The blue penis... not so much.

EddScott 02 March 2010 10:31 AM

SPOILERS!

The Graphic Novel is better. I really like the film - I think the extended version is out now with "The Black Pirate" cartoon worked into the story.

My gripes with the film were that the sex scenes were too long, the story of Doctor Manhatten and what happened is too short and rushed (its my favorite part of the book) and I don't like the way Doc M is made to be the bad guy in the eyes of the world. I would have been happier with the original story rather than the bomb - it doesn't sit as well.

Torquemada 02 March 2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9259069)
SPOILERS!

The Graphic Novel is better. I really like the film - I think the extended version is out now with "The Black Pirate" cartoon worked into the story.

My gripes with the film were that the sex scenes were too long, the story of Doctor Manhatten and what happened is too short and rushed (its my favorite part of the book) and I don't like the way Doc M is made to be the bad guy in the eyes of the world. I would have been happier with the original story rather than the bomb - it doesn't sit as well.

With you there Edd. It really couldn't be shortened any further than it was without reaaaally killing the story. There are plenty of area's that could have been expanded on but making it into several films wouldn't have worked either.

Can't really call it an action film, as has been said by some though, it's simply not what it was meant to be. It's rather a cross genre film due to the source material, imho.

Good film taken from a great GN, which is far more deep than any of the above viewers/posters seem to have grasped. Fair enough, it's long, but I don't mind that sort of thing, each to their own. Won't suit your typical viewer of 'leave your brain in the foyer' movies though :thumb:

Luan Pra bang 02 March 2010 05:30 PM

I watched the first hour then wanted kill myself, decided not to as I am probably going to hell and I know when I go to hell this film will be playing on repeat.

DCI Gene Hunt 02 March 2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 9259359)
Won't suit your typical viewer of 'leave your brain in the foyer' movies though :thumb:

What?!? you're saying "Watchmen" is a deep / complex / thinking /thought provoking film! :lol1:

EddScott 02 March 2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 9259905)
What?!? you're saying "Watchmen" is a deep / complex / thinking /thought provoking film! :lol1:

It does its best to ape a deep / complex / thought provoking graphic novel whilst also attempting to be accessable to the masses - hence why the changed the ending.

The cold war never ended, Nixon stayed in power until the 80s. A world on the brink of nuclear extinction. The most intelligent man in the world coming up with a plan to end the threat of nuclear extinction but killing hundreds of thousands in the process and the moral judgement of that act.

Torquemada 03 March 2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 9259905)

Yes

Forgot to say, helps if you know the source material etc.