ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chile-Earthquake. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/818855-chile-earthquake.html)

SVXNUT 27 February 2010 06:01 PM

Chile-Earthquake.

Mmm, am I the only one to wonder why its not turned up on here yet??. At 8.8 its 1000 times more powerful than Haiti, but thank upstairs its was about 70 miles from the nearest big pop. centre.
About 150 dead so far.

Lets start a campaign to get Gordon, Cowell and company to mobalise the relief, because what most people forget is that Chile was the country that helped us win the last Faulklands war, and with another one brewing it would be nice to have their support again.

Want to put a bet on the Argies stepping up the pressure now that our friend in the south is incapacitated.

Jamie 27 February 2010 06:38 PM

87 dead and this happened the other day keep up chap :)

FlightMan 27 February 2010 07:03 PM

The other day? It happened at 06:34 GMT this morning!

147 dead atm. :(

Jamie 27 February 2010 07:39 PM

Was on sky news last night and yes 147 dead:(

Xx-IAN-xX 27 February 2010 07:44 PM

If they're backing the Argies they can expect :hjtwofing all from here :D

Jamie 27 February 2010 07:47 PM

What makes you think they back them ian ?

Jaybird-UK 27 February 2010 07:53 PM

very tragic but not quite the devastation of Haiti

Some numbers to put it in perspective

212,000. People reported killed by the earthquake by Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive

1 million. People still homeless or needing shelter in Haiti

300,000. People injured in the earthquake, reported by Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive

Jamie 27 February 2010 07:57 PM

And every 15 seconds a child dies in Africa such is life.

SVXNUT 27 February 2010 09:05 PM

If you read the 1st post Ian. Chile helped us with airbase support etc. last time round. It would be a shame if they couldn't this time. Oh, and if you read the reports, the reason why the death toll isn't higher is because they were rehearsed and prepared as they have smaller quakes all the time. Also I believe having had friends visit there, that the GDA of the population is less than that in Haita, so they are poorer and need just as much help.

apples24 27 February 2010 09:06 PM

we have to put things like this as a person/family behind us to continue living, its like every now and then i ponder on death, when were how etc, but then you snap out of it and continue, if i worried all the time my life would be awfull for our little unit

however were not complete non helpers, both the wife and i have direct debits every month to nspcc cancer reaserch etc, i feel i have to give something in life its only a small amount compaired to available free cash every month. by doing this i find i can black out lifes horrors and live my life as it is and enjoy even the bad bits

Xx-IAN-xX 27 February 2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9253633)
What makes you think they back them ian ?

If you read the 1st post Ian. Chile helped us with airbase support etc. last time round. It would be a shame if they couldn't this time. Oh, and if you read the reports, the reason why the death toll isn't higher is because they were rehearsed and prepared as they have smaller quakes all the time. Also I believe having had friends visit there, that the GDA of the population is less than that in Haita, so they are poorer and need just as much help.

sorry my mistake :oops: had a few wines

Jaybird-UK 28 February 2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
the GDA of the population is less than that in Haita, so they are poorer and need just as much help.

Whats GDA?

If you mean GDP per capita then Chile is far better off than Haiti

Ranked in world no. 76 Chile $ 14,700 2009 est.
Ranked in world no. 203 Haiti $ 1,300 2009 est.

Xx-IAN-xX 28 February 2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9254520)
Whats GDA?

If you mean GDP per capita then Chile is far better off than Haiti

Ranked in world no. 76 Chile $ 14,700 2009 est.
Ranked in world no. 203 Haiti $ 1,300 2009 est.

Not my post it was quoted above:Suspiciou

Leslie 28 February 2010 11:20 AM

Lucky that they had improved their building requirements after the last earthquake that they had. Still a tragedy though.

Les

Jaybird-UK 28 February 2010 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX (Post 9254670)
Not my post it was quoted above:Suspiciou

fixed it :)

although to be fair, you didnt you quote tags properly :razz: ;)

Xx-IAN-xX 28 February 2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9254692)
fixed it :)

although to be fair, you didnt you quote tags properly :razz: ;)

I blame the wine :D

Dan Gleebits 28 February 2010 11:31 AM

Strong aftershocks now reported.. wonder how much more damage theres going to be?

speedking 28 February 2010 12:38 PM

The Chilean ambassador was on the news this morning saying that they don't need any outside help. Fair enough. They're no strangers to earthquakes and have an infrastructure that seems able to cope.

David Lock 28 February 2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 9254833)
The Chilean ambassador was on the news this morning saying that they don't need any outside help. Fair enough. They're no strangers to earthquakes and have an infrastructure that seems able to cope.

Correct although I think they will find that some outside assistance may be required later on. And infrastructure is a bit creaky and no power or communication in many areas. Britain has sent a message of support.

One hell of a quake though - 500 times Haiti.

dl

ahar 28 February 2010 02:53 PM

Spent 6 weeks or so in Chile a few years ago - lovely country and probably the only one in Sout America to learn good lessons after deposing their latest dictator. For example their police are proud to be virtually unbribable - not the case in a lot of the rest of South America (which was a good thing when a mate was caught several eights of cannabis in one of the other countries!).

Their infrastructure is pretty good so are in a good position to sort this quickly

Trout 28 February 2010 08:57 PM

708 reported dead now and a major tsunami running across the Pacific!

SirFozzalot 28 February 2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9255895)
708 reported dead now and a major tsunami running across the Pacific!

BBC reporting:

Originally Posted by BBC
Meanwhile fears of a devastating tsunami across the Pacific receded on Sunday.

About 50 Pacific countries and territories had issued tsunami alerts.

French Polynesia and Tahiti were among those hit by high waves, but no casualties have been reported.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on Sunday lifted its Pacific-wide alert.

Japan was hit already - BBC News - Tsunami reaches Japanese coast