ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Help needed with fitting Turbo inlet hose (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/818836-help-needed-with-fitting-turbo-inlet-hose.html)

WR1 WOZA 27 February 2010 04:43 PM

Help needed with fitting Turbo inlet hose

Having major hassel with fitting a samco turbo inlet pipe !
Ive had 2 standard plastic type hose split so thought i would get the uprated one ! Is is just me or all 04 Sti and wr1 engine lay out a bad design the corner of the mannifold fixing point sits almost in front of the turbo causing an angle for the pipe to gett around and almost impossible to get the pipe on ! i have even filed a bit off the corner to ease the angle just about got the pipe on the other day and manifold back on but looking at it today it has sliped off again due to the stresson the pipe and even when it was on it looked kinked because of the angle it has to get around ! I would appreciate any help with this or suggestions on what to do about the problem of fitting the pipe ! On the standard pipe it has a bit of an angle at this point but silicon does not . :confused:

WR1 WOZA 27 February 2010 10:23 PM

360ste 27 February 2010 10:26 PM

Do you have any pictures as this will make it easier.

f4la k 27 February 2010 10:27 PM

What kind of silicon pipe did you buy. Ive heard the samco suck in a bit. I was told to get an autoban but not a lover of autoban stuff. Did you have any luck gettin this done mate.

WR1 WOZA 27 February 2010 10:44 PM

Bought the samco from rcm as recomended by them pricey aswell tried getting an APs
Hard pipe but no stock anywhere in the country as far as i know ! That has an angled silicon part supplied to connect turbo to the hard pipe to get around the angled bit !
Getting fed up as this has been going on for months !

WR1 WOZA 27 February 2010 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 65881

360ste 27 February 2010 11:07 PM

Have got the APs hard pipe on my STi. Have you tried DSAutomotive.

It just looks as though if the silicon pipe from the APS kit could be attatched to your Samco pipe it would be sorted.

WR1 WOZA 27 February 2010 11:12 PM

Tried to get an Aps pipe etc but Ds said they where having trouble getting them from Austalia !the pic above shows the problem looking down on inlet and turbo mnifold fixing is in the way !

360ste 27 February 2010 11:19 PM

Is your turbo inlet 2.5 inch diameter as thinking about it I may still have that connector as my new turbo has a 3 inch inlet. Will look tomorrow and post wether I still have it. All you will need then is a piece of metal pipe to join the two together, not sure if they could be glued on as there ain't much room for jubilee clips in there.

WR1 WOZA 27 February 2010 11:24 PM

That would be great if u could have a look ! anything is worth a try most appreciatted thanks very much for your help Just let me Know i will pay for postage and give you some money for it if you want ! ye its a standard turbo 2.5" :thumb:

WR1 WOZA 28 February 2010 01:06 PM

BlueBugEye 28 February 2010 03:43 PM

Mine went straight on but I did remove the inlet manifold to fit it.

Fuzz 28 February 2010 03:58 PM

Looks like he has removed the inlet manifold too bugeye. Well there's no bolts in it anyway ;)

WR1 WOZA 28 February 2010 04:40 PM

Ye had to take off the manifold to get the pipe on as i mentioned before i did get the pipe on the other day but lookin at it yesterday it had slipped of again so gota start the whole process again might try a more heavy duty clamp if anyone could say where to get one from !

BlueBugEye 28 February 2010 05:07 PM

Is that a std turbo, it really doesn't look like it will fit in that pic, has the turbo moved on the bracket?

WR1 WOZA 28 February 2010 09:41 PM

Yes standard turbo on a Wr1 !

dunx 28 February 2010 10:21 PM

I sprayed mine with carpet adhesive before fitting, then clamped it good and tight, then refitted the inlet manifold....

dunx

Butty 28 February 2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 9255144)
Looks like he has removed the inlet manifold too bugeye. Well there's no bolts in it anyway ;)

Or is that where the GBOD are located (now removed)?

There's a nasty split developing on the boost hose from that turbo....

If its a hard pipe inlet then is the silicon bend pushed too far along to allow it to miss the TGV bodies?

nick

WR1 WOZA 28 February 2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9256128)
I sprayed mine with carpet adhesive before fitting, then clamped it good and tight, then refitted the inlet manifold....

dunx

dunx did the pipe look kinked when u got it on where the corner pushes up against the pipe as in pic ?

Ye i sorted that small split cut back pipe a little !

WR1 WOZA 01 March 2010 08:55 PM

360ste 01 March 2010 08:57 PM

Had a look for that pipe, need to do a bit more digging.

WR1 WOZA 01 March 2010 09:06 PM

Thanks m8 for lookin anyway ! maybe u will find it later !
Cheers !

WR1 WOZA 02 March 2010 12:54 AM

Scooby Dan 02 March 2010 04:17 PM

Have RCM definately supplied you with the right pipe ?
Even RCM are human and can make mistakes !