ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   100Mbps BT Broadband.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/818722-100mbps-bt-broadband.html)

MrShades 26 February 2010 09:43 PM

100Mbps BT Broadband....

I've just been reading the article below concerning Virgin's rollout of 100Mbps and 200Mbps broadband:

BBC News - Virgin Media promises to speed up to 100Mbps broadband

Towards the end, there's the comment below:

A BT spokesman said: "Virgin are playing catch-up as customers are already using 100Mbps over BT's network. It is fair to say we are bigger than them and we are growing faster too."

Does ANYONE know of ANY 100Mbps service that SOMEONE can get in the UK today that is delivered over any sort of BT network????? I can't find anything or anyone anywhere!

Can anyone show me that this isn't just BT bull****?

TonyBurns 26 February 2010 09:50 PM

Very few BT customers will be at that speed, if anything they will be corporate and not home customers (and no doubt on BT's 21CN :lol1: )

Tony:)

wiley 28 February 2010 09:29 PM

apparently home customers in korea, japan are running 100mbs plus already

wiley

bioforger 28 February 2010 09:49 PM

Better than that, 100mbps is average in places like that, most of em are running 200+ as a standard service.

Nate 01 March 2010 01:31 AM

I saw that on a documentary around 12 months ago about the internet speed in Korea, all to do with having a more or less brand new infrastructure, whereas here in the UK, they just try to adapt the older infrastructure that is already in place.

myblackwrx 01 March 2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by wiley (Post 9255970)

wiley

Japan definately as i've 2 friends living out there (1 in Nagoya and 1 in Tokyo)think they pay approx £20 for it as well.

StickyMicky 01 March 2010 09:09 AM

BT suck, they are toooooo big for themselves imo and don't want to spend the money where it is really needed, give the people who are stuck with 2/3/4mb the full 8mb, instead of letting some office in a brand new development have an aledged 100mb.

The first office gets 100, the next office gets connected and they both get 50, etc etc :lol1:

HHxx 01 March 2010 06:17 PM

Isn't BT 100Mb broadband for domestic consumers only available in Ebbsfleet?

ChrisB 01 March 2010 09:31 PM

I think there's a few FTTH trials, the new Ebbsfleet development being one of them.

Whilst the BT statement might be technically correct, I'll file it alongside Virgin claiming their network to be fibre optic.

Adrian F 01 March 2010 10:52 PM

All this speed seems pointless as unless you download lots of video or music the experience of the end user doesnt change much and most affordable ISP's cap you at a few Gig per month and then shape you on a an already poor 2 meg connection!

SirFozzalot 02 March 2010 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 9256415)
I saw that on a documentary around 12 months ago about the internet speed in Korea, all to do with having a more or less brand new infrastructure, whereas here in the UK, they just try to adapt the older infrastructure that is already in place.

I saw something like that on The Gadget Show a little while ago.

Everyone could have a minimum of 100Mbps and they were paying a little under £10 a month for it! :eek:

judgejules 03 March 2010 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9256618)
BT suck, they are toooooo big for themselves imo and don't want to spend the money where it is really needed, give the people who are stuck with 2/3/4mb the full 8mb, instead of letting some office in a brand new development have an aledged 100mb.

The first office gets 100, the next office gets connected and they both get 50, etc etc :lol1:

Many moons ago, BT told the government at the time that they would upgrade the entire UK to fiber optic if they could control the video being run over it and let the computer data pretty much go free. The government told em to fek off, and here we are... back in the stone age.

P1Fanatic 03 March 2010 01:54 PM

Its all relative anyway as your always going to be contending for network bandwidth anyway. If customers paying £000's per month for dedicated circuits dont even get dedicated core backbone bandwidth then average mr bloggs on £10pm broadband certainly aint.

Simon

Bo_Duke 03 March 2010 03:57 PM

We are using a 10Mbps LES circuit at work and I know BT do offer a 100Mbps connection.

You need to be a millionaire to get one, however Virgin will offer you 100Mbps for around £50 a month when they release it.

BT connections seem to suffer badly with contention at peak time. My mate on 8Mb recevies 1 at peak times.........BT are ****e......Virgins support are ****e.

Take the lesser of two evils and go with Virgin. :)

billythekid 03 March 2010 04:37 PM

It will be a loooong time before we get anything like true high speed web here in the UK.
The reason is, we need fibre putting in at street level.
The work involved with doing that will take years.

The planning involved is insane, and seriously complex.

In the past system changes have not been an issue as sys Y went to sys X but kept the majority of the line hardware, it was just exchange re-fits - even doing that took years.

Give it 10 years I would say being realistic. 5 if you are lucky.

HHxx 03 March 2010 07:26 PM

You can get 1Gb connections in Hong Kong (if you are in the right building) and for pretty cheap. The only issue here is the international transit links which can't keep up..

With the (lack of) speed the UK is moving towards faster connections, that probably wouldn't be a problem... Hopefully.

Scoobychick 04 March 2010 08:50 AM

I'm still waiting for them to roll out 10Mbps here... :rolleyes:

ScoobyWon't 04 March 2010 02:32 PM

I'm looking forward to getting 1Mbps :rolleyes:

If I moved 100 meters down the road, I could have 50Mbps, but it seems a lo of effort.

I've seen 20Mbps running at my mates place years ago, this is when Virgin was still ntl: and he was testing he circuit before it was released to the public - that was fast. 50Mbps must be incredible.

I can't see BT managing to get 100Mbps rolled out any time soon if I can't even get 1Mbps. They are going to have to spend, spend, spend on the infrastructure. New exchanges, new wiring, more staff, and also back it up wih competent staff.

I know one chap, who was sold the fastest package BT have, and that BT Vision television stuff. Guess what? His connection speed is too slow to support it. BT have even tried to put in a dedicated 2Mbps leased line to his place and that still won't support BT Vision.

kingofturds 04 March 2010 04:45 PM

This is what my 8 meg virgin broadband has been like for weeks:( It used to be around 6-8 depending on the time of day, customer service is crap they just reel off a script. Then get mysteriously cut off when you start to complain you have been through the script a 100 times already. thankfully only 3 months left to go with them.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/737033280.png

ChrisB 04 March 2010 09:43 PM

8 Meg Virgin KoT? Sounds like their ADSL product which has a dire reputation.

Looie 04 March 2010 10:56 PM

Can't see BT ever getting those speeds out to the domestic consumer - they don't have the money to do it, so it won't happen.....

I'm supposed to be on 8Mb set up (which I've never ever seen), realistically I'm usually getting around 3Mb, sometimes 3½, but the last few weeks the line speed has dropped to 1.2Mb most days and tonight it's down to 928k!

So BT boasting those speeds is total Cr*p - dream on BT, the domestic consumer will never see anything like it on your network....

Adrian F 05 March 2010 01:28 AM

Kingofturds i had the same problem years ago (on cable as Harlow is all cable) and each month i had to re-report the problem to technical and spend ages on the phone going through the script then once logged they would credit my account for that month.

This went on for 8 months as it was a network fault eventually i escaped Virgin.

I think the future might be mobile broad band as that can give a couple of Meg which is as much as BT seems to be able to provide many customers with and there is no monthly line rental

Dasco 05 March 2010 09:14 AM

heres my speed basically what i pay for so im happy

http://www.speedtest.net/result/737822482.png

can get just over 40Mb/s wirelessly on my netbook aswell

kingofturds 05 March 2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 9264919)
8 Meg Virgin KoT? Sounds like their ADSL product which has a dire reputation.

Yeah virgin utterly pants at least thier adsl service is. I used to be on bt and got 8meg all day long, so it's not my distance from the exchange that is the problem. A few days ago I was getting 326 kb :freak3:

Originally Posted by Adrian F (Post 9265296)
Kingofturds i had the same problem years ago (on cable as Harlow is all cable) and each month i had to re-report the problem to technical and spend ages on the phone going through the script then once logged they would credit my account for that month.

This went on for 8 months as it was a network fault eventually i escaped Virgin.

I think the future might be mobile broad band as that can give a couple of Meg which is as much as BT seems to be able to provide many customers with and there is no monthly line rental

I am just going to see out my contract as I am fed up of spending hours waiting on the phone, only to get cut off, be told they are looking into it or to be asked if I would like their phone package.

kingofturds 05 March 2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Looie (Post 9265137)
Can't see BT ever getting those speeds out to the domestic consumer - they don't have the money to do it, so it won't happen.....

I'm supposed to be on 8Mb set up (which I've never ever seen), realistically I'm usually getting around 3Mb, sometimes 3½, but the last few weeks the line speed has dropped to 1.2Mb most days and tonight it's down to 928k!

So BT boasting those speeds is total Cr*p - dream on BT, the domestic consumer will never see anything like it on your network....

They have the money unfortunately it goes to the shareholders, and since there is no competition there is no need for them to upgrade the infastructure.

pimmo2000 06 March 2010 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by wiley (Post 9255970)

wiley

Wow BT really have grown .. :Suspiciou

madscoob 06 March 2010 06:36 PM

ime getting 5893kpbs download and 682kpbs upload tested on namesco at 6.30 sat night is that good ??

Norman Dog 07 March 2010 01:17 PM

I always get decent dowload speds with VM, albeit only for 20 mins :mad:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/740227269.png

SiDHEaD 09 March 2010 11:58 AM

I have virgin at home, but here at work it's slowwww
http://www.speedtest.net/result/742347594.png

Snazy 09 March 2010 07:29 PM

I have my free orange BB, well free on top of the £15 a month for the home phone.
UMA boosts the mobile signal too which I dont need but is handy as it takes the talk time out of the home phoneline allowance.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/742824376.png

Paying for 8mb, so im happy.

100-200 sounds fantastic though lol