ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Colour Coded Side Skirts (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/818569-colour-coded-side-skirts.html)

Saalro 25 February 2010 11:51 PM

Colour Coded Side Skirts

Waste of money or not. Looking at my side skirts they have loads of marks from stone chips and so on, is it worth spraying them and having them marked?

Also how is it done?

Thanks

midnight 26 February 2010 12:53 AM

Worth doing if your door mirrors and handles are colour coded,or can look a little odd.
Regarding how is it done : Go to car body shop ,tell him to spray them,leave car there,return in 2 days ,hand over cash .- simple.

joz8968 26 February 2010 01:15 AM

Much nicer looking having side and rear quarter skirts colour-coded, whether you do the door handles or not. Even better with door handles done too obviously. Yeah as above... take to decent bodyshop (make sure they actually have it booked for doing that day or the next day too, etc)... return... pay... done.

Or you could get a second set from ebay (cheap as chips), and that way you won't be without skirts on your car or even without the car!... Then you can refit them when painted. Then flog your old unpainted ones on... so someone else can do the same thing to their car!... :)

Saalro 26 February 2010 02:49 PM

Do they have to be smoothed over first or sanded down or something?

Thanks

joz8968 26 February 2010 03:28 PM

You can get unpainted ones on eBay... but it largely depends on their condition, obviously.

Unless you buy brand new from Subaru, then I expect any 2nd hand ones will have to be sanded and smoothed first (regardless whether already painted or not) to a lesser or greater degree...

Saalro 26 February 2010 03:30 PM

I guess the bodyshop can worry about that, ha.

Thanks a lot

joz8968 26 February 2010 03:44 PM

That's it! A bodyshop worth their salt will know how much prep work needs to be done.......

Saalro 26 February 2010 03:48 PM

Anyone knnow what kind of price i'm looking at?

Thanks

joz8968 26 February 2010 03:59 PM

The 4th to 7th ones down are unpainted - best to get unpainted ones to save on prep work man hours (and a better repaint result too)....

subaru skirts, Vehicle Parts Accessories, Local Services, Side Skirts items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Saalro 26 February 2010 04:03 PM

My ones at the moment are unpainted so i would prob just use them.

Are the seals sprayed also? See my problem is the seals on my skirts are too short.

Thanks

joz8968 26 February 2010 04:21 PM

I'll check my ones' seals when I go home and take a pic.

My skirts have had a bad paint job and are now chipped a lot (got a replacement set that need to be painted and fitted).

Your existing skirts look in excellent condition - so yeah, I'd keep 'em for repainting...

Saalro 26 February 2010 04:36 PM

The underneaths not so pretty on them ha, thanks dude.

joz8968 26 February 2010 08:17 PM

I checked mine ( well passenger side anyway) and my rubber seal things butt right up where thay meet in the middle (as in your pic). BUT... I've a funny feeling that one/both might be short at the other ends though! lol

I'll have to check again tomorrow (my actual seals have also been colour-coded(!) by, presumably, the previous Jap owner lol).

Saalro 26 February 2010 10:02 PM

Both of my seals were different lengths, i had to cut them down to even it out. Let me know when you look again!

Thanks man