ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Remapping improve MPG??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/818304-remapping-improve-mpg.html)

ScoobyRalph 24 February 2010 07:54 PM

Remapping improve MPG???

As per the title really, got my blobeye wagon last week a standard wagon with Prodrive exhaust. I am considering an ecutek remap having read loads of posts on here regarding them.

Can anyone tell me if they saw a noted change in their MPG figures before and after map good or bad but preferably good?!?

Would add some weight to my arguement with the wife to get it done....lol!

Ralph

dynamix 24 February 2010 08:08 PM

A remap will give you better economy as it will be using the fuel more effectively to create power/torque. People whose cars I remap often report around 30 miles extra to the tank afterwards. Add that up over a year and the remap is saving money :D

Good power increases too though LOL

nick172sport 24 February 2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9247114)
A remap will give you better economy as it will be using the fuel more effectively to create power/torque. People whose cars I remap often report around 30 miles extra to the tank afterwards. Add that up over a year and the remap is saving money :D

Good power increases too though LOL

hiya 2001 bugeye if i decat it and fit a walbro what power would i achieve thanx nick

ScoobyRalph 24 February 2010 08:14 PM

Thanks dynamix that's handy to know, can you PM me details if the maps you offer, prices and where your based??

Nick - why don't you have a look on some of the tuners websites they often give examples for different models?!?

Ralph

greatgonzo 24 February 2010 08:17 PM

The only thing is after the remap you wont be able to stop your self from nailing it all the time :D

ScoobyRalph 24 February 2010 08:29 PM

Good point I hadn't thought of that!!!!:lol1:

At the minute it looks like I am going to get about 200-220 miles out of this tank which is my first one and my driving is all around town. This tank has also had to endure 'enthusiastic' drives from intrigued friends!!!

One of these friends was so impressed he drove to London the next day and bought himself am identical car but in silver!!! Lol!!

Ralph

dynamix 24 February 2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by nick schofield (Post 9247125)
hiya 2001 bugeye if i decat it and fit a walbro what power would i achieve thanx nick

If you fit a decat exhaust and fit a walbro you should be looking at around 280bhp post remap. You've probably done the panel filter aswell I guess.

s c o o b y 24 February 2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyRalph (Post 9247080)
As per the title really, got my blobeye wagon last week a standard wagon with Prodrive exhaust. I am considering an ecutek remap having read loads of posts on here regarding them.

Can anyone tell me if they saw a noted change in their MPG figures before and after map good or bad but preferably good?!?

Would add some weight to my arguement with the wife to get it done....lol!

Ralph

i would say yes if you can control the way you drive it after the remap cus it made one hell of a difference on my classic turbo and the way it makes me feel now when i boot it well i just cant stop now lol . but i went from skegness in lincs to the isle of wight on £45 last year on holiday which i thought was very good . good luck with the missus .

Motion-Mx 24 February 2010 08:37 PM

my car is worse on fuel now it's mapped...done 2 ECO runs and both times used more fuel than before the re map,that's without having any fun,changing gear at 3k every change,coasting to stop as long as possible before dipping the clutch,and on the same route.

I'm getting 16-18 MPG 03 STi aprox 330 BHP

scoobyhurky 24 February 2010 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Motion-Mx (Post 9247222)
my car is worse on fuel now it's mapped...done 2 ECO runs and both times used more fuel than before the re map,that's without having any fun,changing gear at 3k every change,coasting to stop as long as possible before dipping the clutch,and on the same route.

thats not good:cry: who mapped your car

Motion-Mx 24 February 2010 08:46 PM

yeah I'm a little baffled by it... but my car does have no cat's at all,I start her up and leave it running for 5 mins on the drive as I do every time....and it blows the fumes under the garage door and stinks the kitchen out haha.

greatgonzo 24 February 2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Motion-Mx (Post 9247222)

That don't sound right can you get the mapper to check things over? who did it ? was it recently that you had the map done ?

ScoobyRalph 24 February 2010 08:48 PM

Mix of opinions then, interesting although i figured it wouldn't be an exact science!!

s c o o b y - that seems pretty good to me on a run?!?

My biggest problem is that the car will rarely leave the town in which i live so will always be short runs, our MKV Golf GTi we had was averaging 23mpg around town so to be fair in comparison when you take into account performance, age and technology the Impreza is pretty good.

Ralph

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 08:49 PM

A Walbro fuel pump will increase power ....

A re-map to increase power will result in less fuel being used ....

Good grief - SN has re-written the laws of Physics in one thread!! :lol1:

You burn more fuel to get more power - lower mpg .... Subaru get the very best efficiency out of their maps, consistent with reliability. You re-map you lose reliability, simple as.

As a test, ask for the warranty details on a re-map ......

AND, for the umpteenth time, the standard Fuel Pump returns more fuel to the tank, unused, than you will ever need in a road car!! Fitting a walbro pump will simply line someones pocket with cash and return even MORE fuel, unused, to the tank - utterly pointless!

Motion-Mx 24 February 2010 09:04 PM

16-19 MPG seems about normal on newage STi's... fuel smell could be a playing up lambda sensor as somebody just pointed out.

dynamix 24 February 2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9247266)
A Walbro fuel pump will increase power ....

A re-map to increase power will result in less fuel being used ....

Good grief - SN has re-written the laws of Physics in one thread!! :lol1:

You burn more fuel to get more power - lower mpg .... Subaru get the very best efficiency out of their maps, consistent with reliability. You re-map you lose reliability, simple as.

As a test, ask for the warranty details on a re-map ......

AND, for the umpteenth time, the standard Fuel Pump returns more fuel to the tank, unused, than you will ever need in a road car!! Fitting a walbro pump will simply line someones pocket with cash and return even MORE fuel, unused, to the tank - utterly pointless!

Perhaps in your supreme wisdom you can tell everyone what the most fuel efficient air fuel ratio is for power... the std subaru map is miles away from that. Moving to a leaner mixture can and does create more power for less fuel.

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 10:14 PM

I'm sure the ££££millions spent by Subaru on research showed them the most efficient fuel air ratios ...... they employ top engineers, scientists and designers - what they say and do is absolutely fine by me!!

They gave me a 5 year warranty on their ECU Map - they seem very confident in their designed map and fuel pumps selected ... maybe you could tell us how long your warranty is on your maps? Mileage and/or time will do ......

my06 ppp silver 24 February 2010 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by greatgonzo (Post 9247148)
The only thing is after the remap you wont be able to stop your self from nailing it all the time :D

:D BULLSEYE;)

Motion-Mx 24 February 2010 10:19 PM

subaru designed their maps so kenny from the block could jump in and thrash it around the block with no fear of detonation etc etc,

same goes for most components,are the standard STi shocks good on the track? they are made to deal with a bit of everything.. everything is a trade off...

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 10:19 PM

Nailing it will not result in lower mpg :lol1:

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Motion-Mx (Post 9247605)
subaru designed their maps so kenny from the block could jump in and thrash it around the block with no fear of detonation etc etc

That's good, isn't it? :notworthy

ZippyBobby 24 February 2010 10:22 PM

claws away lol

Motion-Mx 24 February 2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9247617)
That's good, isn't it? :notworthy

you stick with your stock map,:lol1:

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 10:29 PM

The Fuel Pump is a Classic case of replacing something that doesn't need replacing .... not unless you are doing serious, and I mean serious, power increases - and if you are, you will know what you are doing and will change accordingly.

How many ordinary Joes are driving around after increasing their power by 10 BHP and are being sold so called 'uprated' fuel pumps??? It's preying on the gullible and those who do not understand and really should not be allowed to go unchallenged.

Strangely, if a re-map results in using LESS fuel a sensible argument could be made by me that you need a smaller pump!!! In fact one from a Justy would do just fine!!

Odd, isn't it - how you are sold a re-map to save fuel but are also sold an uprated fuel pump to supply the extra fuel demanded by the re-map :lol: :lol:

See where the flaw is??

scooby dee dee 24 February 2010 10:43 PM

I had my 2004 Impreza WRX remapped by Duncan at Dynamix the other week. I had my standard ecu remapped as I was getting into enough trouble with the other half. She has soon shut up now she has seen the difference in the mpg. Thanks again Duncan and I am still smiling.

Butty 24 February 2010 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9247588)
I'm sure the ££££millions spent by Subaru on research showed them the most efficient fuel air ratios ...... they employ top engineers, scientists and designers - what they say and do is absolutely fine by me!!

I'll ask you to quote that again when your impending 330S blows up from the poor quality OEM map.

gallois 24 February 2010 10:52 PM

mine is mapped from 225 to 287, economy is down from 27mpg to 22mpg.

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Butty (Post 9247704)
I'll ask you to quote that again when your impending 330S blows up from the poor quality OEM map.

OK, let's get down to brass tacks ........

1. How many 330's have been sold in the UK and Worldwide?

2. How many have engines which have blown up?

3. How many of those engines have been messed about with by hobbyists?

Blanket statements are great for headlines, but I deal in facts.

If you could supply the above figures we will get a true picture of what is going on .... it may be correct that 330 engines are blowing up all over the place, I simply don't know.

SunnySideUp 24 February 2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by gallois (Post 9247728)
mine is mapped from 225 to 287, economy is down from 27mpg to 22mpg.

Sounds about right :thumb:

Motion-Mx 24 February 2010 11:03 PM

i think you miss the point...

most re maps are done to cars with different exhausts...different air filters,different boost solenoids,de-catted... therefore re-mapping these cars will make them use more fuel...but if subaru them selves were to 're-mapp' them they would use even more!

if you were to re-map a showroom standard subaru,it would use less fuel.

if your theory on mapping (adding more fuel) was right,there would be no need for exhausts etc...just keep squirting in more fuel!

I saw no increase in MPG...instead i had an increase of 80 BHP :luxhello: