ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   X5, 330d m sport or ST????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/818017-x5-330d-m-sport-or-st.html)

Robert Rosario 23 February 2010 03:40 PM

X5, 330d m sport or ST?????

After a bit of guidance really, am looking to change my TT (yes, I know) for something else, and have driven all three of these this week.

Liked the X5 for ride height, but it was the 3 litre petrol auto, so bit unsure as to future viability financially of such a purchase, although it is good value for money, well built and a good drive??

The 330d was an 02 car, but m sport, auto, black, 40,000 miles and drove lovely, but concerned that the shape of an 02 is starting to look a little long in the tooth???

And the Focus ST, which was a pleasant suprise, great drive, good quality cabin, but are these in danger of becoming a little subaru like in a couple of years???

Any advice,guidance, comment, welcome.

Dream Weaver 23 February 2010 03:51 PM

Strange range of cars to test, but I would go for the ST obviously. ;)

Try having a shot in a remapped ST and you will be blown away. Where are you based?

Robert Rosario 23 February 2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver (Post 9244191)
Strange range of cars to test, but I would go for the ST obviously. ;)

Try having a shot in a remapped ST and you will be blown away. Where are you based?

Yes, a strange mix indeed, always fancied an X5, thought the ST looked good value, but you hear good things about 330d's, hence the test drives.

I am in Norwich.

farmerwrx 23 February 2010 04:29 PM

not much difference in mpg between a 3.0 and a 4.4 x5 we have a 4.4 i sport it's 327 bhp does about average 20 mpg and it's a fantastic car.will do better mpg take it easy.test drive a 4.4 you will be gob smacked :thumb:

stilover 24 February 2010 10:46 AM

Try a X5 3.0D instead.

What is your budget?

As you're coming from a TT, rear seat are not important. So how about a Nissan 350Z GT Coupe?

Think you're right about the ST though. Seen a few lately being driven by some fairly young drivers. All being driven like they've been stolen.

Robert Rosario 24 February 2010 10:51 AM

Looking to spend about £11000 ish

Nissan is a good shout, may have a look at one of those.

Even took out a WRX 300 for "old times sake" but did not push my buttons like the first time I took my old Classic out for a drive which blew me away.

Matteeboy 24 February 2010 12:40 PM

X5 - in the right colour and spec, it's a great allrounder. Quite quick too. I'd go for the diesel though or fuel bills will hurt. The torque is very handy too.

330d - going to be a bit older but again a great allrounder - not massive inside but still handy, great handling, good on fuel and pretty fast. Well made too.

ST - nice handling, fairly practical but build quality much lower than BMW. Very thirsty but the five pot engine does sound good. Apart from thirst, fairly cheap to run.

350Z - very thirsty, no back seats but very good fun. Engine is great, RWD handling is a hoot and they are properly quick. Just not too practical!