ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   swapping memory (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/817549-swapping-memory.html)

seddomyster 21 February 2010 01:35 PM

swapping memory

hi guys ive got a new logiq intel celeron an a old 1 which i sought of broke. i dropped old 1 an it lost alot of its files (sys restore etc). and its also slow.
anyways i want to put more memory into my new comp to make it quicker and as these use the same cards i was wondering
1. will it make my new comp slow
2. will all files be transferred

what does memory actually hold on them

hope this can be answered.
thanks jay

Hanley 21 February 2010 01:56 PM

If the 2 laptops are configured using the same memory type then you can use the memory from the old in the new - assuming there's a free memory slot in the new.

None of your files from your old laptop will be on the memory, data is stored on the hard drive and not physical RAM, RAM is cleared down when the laptop is powered off.

:)

seddomyster 21 February 2010 02:04 PM

thanks mate. yea they use the same. im just worried that when my old 1 was loading slow that if i swap it to new 1 it will carry the problem. u think its worth tryin an if not just take back out?

Hanley 21 February 2010 02:50 PM

Trust me mate there is no way installing additional memory into your laptop is going to make it run slower, unless the chip is faulty, unlikely though as your system probably wouldn't boot with a faulty chip.

Your old one was probably slow due to the amount of apps installed, fragmented disk etc etc

seddomyster 21 February 2010 04:12 PM

it was quick until dropped it an it started doing major scans an was slow from then but tried to do it anyway an didnt boot up but looking for a 2gb ddr2 sodimm memory. i dont understand half these. i can have 667mhz an it a 5300 or somethin but confused that i buy one with all this info stated an it wont work. can any memory with this specification fit?

Hanley 21 February 2010 08:35 PM

Go to Crucial and select 'Scan My System'

They will tell you exactly what memory is compatible with your system.

gdaines 21 February 2010 08:41 PM

If you're having trouble with this I'll talk you through it one night as I do this for a job. Message me if you want help and I'll send you my number... come on, I can't pay for the call AND help you for free :cool:

Hanley 21 February 2010 09:15 PM

667 represents the data transfers per second (667 million)

PC2-5300 is the module name, the xxxx denotes the theoretical bandwidth i.e. 5333MB/s

As i said, most people will go to Crucial (link above) and they give you excellent info.

Cheers

seddomyster 21 February 2010 10:38 PM

thanks for all the help lads. appreciated
gdaines if i get stuck i will message you. thanks mate