ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Use the RAID controller or just bung an 80gb one in (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/81749-use-the-raid-controller-or-just-bung-an-80gb-one-in.html)

super_si 22 March 2002 07:44 PM

Basically ive got an Abit ST-6 Motherboard which has a pretty good RAID controller.

Ive also got a 40gb hard disk which is nearly fun.

What would you do? Bung a 40gb and create n array drive with the possibly of another being put in, Or put in a 2nd HD 80gb?

Ive got broadband so download tons rubbish, films music software.

Whats peoples opinions?

Think there £30 price difference

Si

Jeff Wiltshire 23 March 2002 08:40 AM

If you strip two drives it will be quicker than having 1 large drive.

Jeff

super_si 23 March 2002 08:56 AM

that'd mean another 40gb then?

Is it hard to set up? also will i lose what i have now?

Jeff Wiltshire 23 March 2002 09:02 AM

I don't know your motherboard but it will be a bios set-up for (probable) the Promise ATA contoller.

You should of course do a full backup first.....or if you do it without don't blame me if it doesn't work :)

You need to set the drives up in RAID 0 which strip mode rather than RAID 1 which is mirror.

Have a look in your Mobo manual and it will probable tell you how to do it.

Jeff

(Edited due to brain fade....its an age thing)

[Edited by Jeff Wiltshire - 3/25/2002 10:20:38 AM]

super_si 23 March 2002 09:35 AM

bought ....http://www.abit.nl/eng/product/mb/st6r.htm best P3 board

Jeff Wiltshire 24 March 2002 10:10 AM

Just follow the directions in the manual to set up a RAID 0 strip set....

Jeff

(edited cos its getting worse !)

[Edited by Jeff Wiltshire - 3/25/2002 10:21:29 AM]

MrDeference 24 March 2002 11:03 AM

RAID 0 is going to create a stripe set. This componds any possibility you are going to loose data, as a failure on each disk will trash the volume, which is more likely if you are using IDE/ATA drives.
I would get the 80 and use that as a seperate volume, because a stripe set is no quicker at seeking (the main performance bottlekneck) , just sustained transfer rate - I guess you are not going to be doing much of that sort of access.

[Edited by MrDeference - 3/24/2002 11:22:08 AM]

Lee 24 March 2002 01:28 PM

A stripe is quicker at seek because there is a greater chance that the data you need is close to the drive head.

I have two 40GB drives in a RAID0 stripe. Been running with them for 6 months with no problems. Throughput is blistering. If you want max performance this is the way to go. However all of my work is stored on a fileserver here and backed up so data safety on my desktop is of little concern to me.

MrDeference 24 March 2002 10:28 PM

OK then. Most people would disagree, as with RAID 0, you are waiting for both heads to arrive, not just one. RAID 1 is much quicker for seeking, as that is ready to go when the first head gets there.
Still, whatever floats your boat.

DavidRB 25 March 2002 09:44 AM

Why not buy 4 disks and do RAID 0+1? ;)

This is a very good explanation of all the different RAID types.

Lee 25 March 2002 09:55 AM

Cos RAID1+0 would be more resilient ;) ?

Jeff Wiltshire 25 March 2002 10:23 AM

Naaa.....

5+1 is the way to go .....:rolleyes:

Lee 25 March 2002 10:29 AM

5+1 nah you are joking. Raid5 is good for lowering cost but writes are well slow and a rebuild is i/o intensive. Raid1 is the best at write performance and redundancy, raid0 increases performance so 1+0 is the ideal.

Ie you create a whole bunch of mirrors and then stripe across them. In order to bring the system to a halt you need to have a failure of 2 disks both in the same mirror which is fairly unlikely. You could suffer a loss of a disk in every mirror and keep on ticking.

Raid0+1 - all you need to lose is 2 disks from the same stripe and you are fooked.