ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tonight...my big fat gypsy wedding (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/817014-tonight-my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding.html)

billyray911 18 February 2010 06:42 PM

Tonight...my big fat gypsy wedding

9 tonight,channel 4.Car crash tv or an insight into our country cousins:Suspiciou

In pictures: Channel 4's My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding | Television & radio | guardian.co.uk

Lee247 18 February 2010 07:03 PM

Looks absolutely ghastly. It clashes with Masterchef, so I know what I will be watching :thumb:

stilover 18 February 2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 9233463)
Looks absolutely ghastly. It clashes with Masterchef, so I know what I will be watching :thumb:

Me too.

Go on Wallace, take a huge spoon full of desert, just ram it in. :)

gtijames 18 February 2010 07:45 PM

been set on sky plus for a few days,should provide some amusement :lol1:

salsa-king 18 February 2010 08:12 PM

tranny vans saying 'tree surgeon' and 'tarmac ya drive' everywhere and butane gas bottles thrown down! .... sound a nice claas boooze up

sorry just checked the pictures out.

1st i thought... where's Katie Price
then I though one of the guys looks like the one who passed me the gold fish in a bag, when I won on 'hook-a-duck'

The Zohan 18 February 2010 08:22 PM

oh for just one hand grenade!

kingofturds 18 February 2010 08:32 PM

I am sure I read somewhere one of them was nearly disowned for getting a job in a call centre. I guess breaking the family tradition of robbing lead off church roofs was too much to bear

jods 18 February 2010 09:09 PM

One for SKY+ C4+1

Some friends got conned a few years back with the old "We've got some tarmac left over from working on the Motorway, want your drive doing?" scam.

The wife was on her own - got a bit scared, handed over the £150 they said it would cost. The pikey's spread an inch of tarmac over the existing drive. Well 75% of it. Said they needed another £200 to finish it off. Long story short - She handed that over as well. They walked away, laughing, leaving footprints in the newly laid tarmac and drove off - never to return.

True Story - The drive in question is in WGC.

Long and short of it is (for me)
1. Deal with NO-ONE who comes hawking for business at the door.
2. Don't leave ££'s in the house if the other half is susceptible to this kind of thing (M/F)
3. Use the "I'm out of work and about to lose the lot, will you do it for free and come in to talk to me cos I'm in need of some help" line - that works very well I've found!

Hysteria1983 18 February 2010 09:11 PM

Looking forward to it.

I am sure it will be far from the actual truth of gypsy life though.

It is that or 'What Katie did next'!

Tough Choice, lol.

123maull 18 February 2010 09:12 PM

they got some money

SunnySideUp 18 February 2010 09:16 PM

You just say NO to them, they don't seem to understand the word NO unless you repeat it 25 times though!

We had a big fat gypsy wedding here a few years ago - they rented out the new community centre ..... and smashed it all up!! :mad:

Timwinner 18 February 2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 123maull (Post 9233815)
they got some money

They must be smart at calculating there tax bills........... Oh wait a second.....

Hysteria1983 18 February 2010 09:22 PM

The A5 :mad:!

SunnySideUp 18 February 2010 09:29 PM

They now saying that it's racist that hotels and places refuse to allow a gypsy wedding at their venue ...... if they acted with respect then they would be welcomed, what they do in reality is offer no respect to a venue and treat it like sh1t!!

Hysteria1983 18 February 2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9233881)
They now saying that it's racist that hotels and places refuse to allow a gypsy wedding at their venue ...... if they acted with respect then they would be welcomed, what they do in reality is offer no respect to a venue and treat it like sh1t!!

Exactly!

I can't believe that the dress maker thinks there was never any prejudice towards gypsies!

Yeah right! She is making a mint off them, she breathes one word of negativity about them and she will never stitch a sequin again!

Hysteria1983 18 February 2010 09:35 PM

Oh My God... Queens Park Wrexham, I used to work at a school there!

Moley 18 February 2010 10:02 PM

OMFG!!!!

superstar1 18 February 2010 10:16 PM

I like the way one lot said they were self sufficient and could go anywhere and live in any environment wanting nothing off anyone!!!!!!!!!

Scooby Soon! 18 February 2010 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by superstar1 (Post 9234039)
I like the way one lot said they were self sufficient and could go anywhere and live in any environment wanting nothing off anyone!!!!!!!!!

yep its true they can, as long as where ever they move to has lead on the roof and copper cables in the ground.

petethemeat 18 February 2010 10:22 PM

i live in blackburn!

having said that i dont have anything against gypsys, like all races there are some nice and some not so nice

Adrian F 18 February 2010 10:24 PM

I liked the way they were represented as having a very strong moral code yet we know they love to rip off anybody vulnerable.

Though i did notice a shortage of fat women with 5 kids by 5 different dads amongst them so maybe they have something sorted out. In fact most of them looked slim and that wasn't my memory of the ones who lived on a site near my old school

GT Scooby blue 18 February 2010 10:55 PM

Why make them try to look like half normal ?
Why waste money on actually making a program about them ?
Everybody knows that they're tacky, lying, hateful, thieving bastards.

salsa-king 19 February 2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by GT Scooby blue (Post 9234154)
Why make them try to look like half normal ?
Why waste money on actually making a program about them ?
Everybody knows that they're tacky, lying, hateful, thieving bastards.

who don't bother with insurance and tax on the transit van.

Lee247 19 February 2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by superstar1 (Post 9234039)

Really!!!!! My Sis in Law works for the benefits lot and she says they have a special form to fill in which means they can claim their benefits from which ever town they happen to be visiting :wonder:
Self sufficient, my ar$e

Glad I didn't watch it :thumb:

Hysteria1983 19 February 2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 9234399)
Really!!!!! My Sis in Law works for the benefits lot and she says they have a special form to fill in which means they can claim their benefits from which ever town they happen to be visiting :wonder:
Self sufficient, my ar$e

Glad I didn't watch it :thumb:

I don't understand that. Most of them haven't had their births registered, pay no tax or NI, yet they are allowed to claim benefits - taking money from people who need it, when they don't even contribute a penny into the system??

As far as them all being bad, they are not. There are good and bad in all, and I have come across some evil people from within my own sector of society.

It's a cycle of deprivation and the girls mainly are very oppressed. They lead far from normal lives, and that doesn't seem like they choose to live that way. They seem to be living in fear.

To me that program made it seem more like a cult than a culture. Stopping the younger generations having a taste for 'country' life where they might stray.

I have been in a situation where I was in the company of several gypsy girls, and no, it was not nice. Far from it in fact.
However, I have also been in a relationship with someone who was of gypsy heritage and their family were all nice people.

I am not defending them, however I don't feel that they are all the same.

Jamz3k 19 February 2010 10:08 AM

I thought the programme was presented in the usual Channel4 way.:rolleyes:

....IN saying that, the last one that got married would have got her gypsy heritage bucked straight outta her imo.

dazdavies 19 February 2010 10:12 AM

My GF used to make dresses for some of these when she had her dress making business.
Low and behold the first person they show Bridget was one of her customers.

She was a lovely girl, very polite very good looking and a cracking body. Boyfriend on the other hand was a prize cock!

Doncaster has a fairly large traveller population and some of them are fantastically nice people but most of them are proper thieving ar5eholes with no manners and no respect for anyone but their own.

M444GY 19 February 2010 10:35 AM

was lets say entertaining watching the dog faced tanned up feckers torkin shoite:D

would you let your daughters wear what some of them girls were wearing lol they were abot 13 with their bits hanging oot .

EddScott 19 February 2010 10:39 AM

The problem is most peoples experience with gypsies isn't a good one - hence why hotels panic and say no to their weddings, hence why "country" folk dislike them.

Funny the big guy saying we don't have anything to do with drugs - when I was in my teens the best place to score pills and grass was off the gypsies and they were just as happy to take cash as car stereos.

I appreciate that some gypsies probably are good people and my wife did work with a gypsy girl in a hair salon and she was a very nice girl - and the hottest one there by some margin. Her uncle came into the salon once and he was OK but doing the "gypsy act" on the girls which became tedious but as his arms are probably the same width as my waist I wasn't about to argue with him :)

The last girl on the show looked as though she had realised she'd made a massive mistake!

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 9234525)
would you let your daughters wear what some of them girls were wearing lol they were abot 13 with their bits hanging oot .

This is what I was thinking but assuming they pair for life and at an early age then dressing like that doesn't have the same implications as it does in country society.

Adidas 19 February 2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 9234525)
was lets say entertaining watching the dog faced tanned up feckers torkin shoite:D

Must have been great to see the family on TV :cool: :)