ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   new age battery problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/816497-new-age-battery-problems.html)

ukhilly 15 February 2010 07:50 PM

new age battery problems

hi anyone had promblems with the battery not holding its charge
on a new age sti (2003) im on my second battery in twelve months
although the first was faulty

nick172sport 15 February 2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ukhilly (Post 9226793)
hi anyone had promblems with the battery not holding its charge
on a new age sti (2003) im on my second battery in twelve months
although the first was faulty

i know off a few and the cause in some not rectified could be tracker battery knackerd whats draining it or try your belt on the front off engine there are a lot getting worn due to the recent bad weather including mine this belt passes through the alternator

TINO.wrx 15 February 2010 08:28 PM

might be worth trying if you do a lot of daytime driving, that you put your sidelights on as this will tell the alternator to charge the battery.

as ive had probs before with lots of daytime driving and not holding its charge. now i drive with sidelights and havent had a problem since.

steve

addison 15 February 2010 08:33 PM

do you leave you car unlocked?

superstar1 15 February 2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by TINO.wrx (Post 9226913)
might be worth trying if you do a lot of daytime driving, that you put your sidelights on as this will tell the alternator to charge the battery.

as ive had probs before with lots of daytime driving and not holding its charge. now i drive with sidelights and havent had a problem since.

steve

Thats what Subaru assistance told me when i called them out when car wouldn't start, it's a Subaru thing apparently.

jh1 15 February 2010 08:34 PM

hi, mine too loses charge after a few days so have just purchased jump leads. the cause maybe down to aftermarket alarm imobiliser and tracker.

b16msu265 15 February 2010 09:02 PM

Hi ukhilly, TINO.wrx is correct, even my ver 8 sti type uk 2004 had the same fault. was well pissed at my local Subaru dealer for giving me a duff battery, then they said drive with your side lights on and its been great ever since. :thumb:

Some people have told me about the trackers battery and i heard its not cheap 4 1 of there guys to sort it out:brickwall

IggyRB320 15 February 2010 11:59 PM

I used to have a MY05 STi Type UK, blob.
Owned it for 18 months & during this time I had the RAC tracker unit changed to a 1 hour unit, ran with the side lights on....It still had 4 or more new batteries fitted on warranty!

All the tests came back ok, Subaru just didn't seem to have an answer, just kept putting new batteries on under warranty.
What a royal pain in the 4rse those 18 months were.

No problems with the RB!

davedipster 16 February 2010 11:22 AM

Get a calcium battery and use the side lights all the time, easy.

dipster

B0DSKI 16 February 2010 11:35 AM

Usually a problem with the Tracker not going into sleep mode. Mine does exactly the same thing.
Contacted RAC Trackstar about putting it right. They wanted £125+ VAT + Parts to come out and sort it!! Bugger that i'll just disconnect the battery if I leave it to go on holiday!!