ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cancelled Sky but Sky+ still working? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/815390-cancelled-sky-but-sky-still-working.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 09 February 2010 09:35 PM

Cancelled Sky but Sky+ still working?

The channels were all turned off today but Sky+ is still working :Suspiciou Is there a delay for this to get turned off or should it have stopped working with the channels?

My contract was completely cancelled and DD cancelled etc so they aren't still charging me for the Sky+ usage.

Dan Gleebits 09 February 2010 09:37 PM

effectively no, your box IS a PVR , ergo....

Bravo2zero_sps 09 February 2010 09:40 PM

Yep but you are supposed to have to pay £10 a month to retain the Sky+ recording features?

Dedrater 09 February 2010 09:41 PM

They send the signal to brick it within 7 days iirc way round is to turn off for a few months to avoid that

Dan Gleebits 09 February 2010 09:45 PM

any plus or HD box ive seen thats been switched down after a cancellation still retains the recording faetures on the FTV channels afaik indefinately, hence the HD box I have upstairs off a mate thats emigrated is still recording crap on the itv/beeb channels for me.

Bravo2zero_sps 09 February 2010 09:50 PM

Dan what do you mean by switched down?

Dedrater 09 February 2010 09:55 PM

Turn it off for a few months to avoid the signal brick. Then use as normal.

Dan Gleebits 09 February 2010 09:57 PM

Basically if the box still has its original card in and its just been switched from a paying package down to a freeview one .. ie no longer subscribing.:D

Dan Gleebits 09 February 2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9214778)
Turn it off for a few months to avoid the signal brick. Then use as normal.

Why? .. Ive just gone upstairs and primed the 'spare' HD box to record Piers Morgan after the news. it works fine as a recorder even after having the subscription channels swithed off months ago.
:D

Bravo2zero_sps 09 February 2010 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9214783)
Basically if the box still has its original card in and its just been switched from a paying package down to a freeview one .. ie no longer subscribing.:D

Yep that's what i've done. I thought you still had to pay the £10 a month to retain the recording feature though.

Oh well will just have to wait and see.

Dedrater 09 February 2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9214807)
Why? .. Ive just gone upstairs and primed the 'spare' HD box to record Piers Morgan after the news. it works fine as a recorder even after having the subscription channels swithed off months ago.
:D

But as you said, that isn't your HD box, if Bravo uses his box, on his dish, it will be bricked, unless he turns it off

Aaron1978 09 February 2010 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9214953)
But as you said, that isn't your HD box, if Bravo uses his box, on his dish, it will be bricked, unless he turns it off

I've never heard of this, do you work for sky mate?

Diesel 09 February 2010 11:10 PM

Interesting! Its one of the reasons I got rid of the greedy b's services - charging £10 a month for a hardware only recording function on the box they made me pay in full for....

Still, nice to see these premium rate phoneline creamers got stung for £550 million today!! What goes around and all that. So true.

D

Dan Gleebits 09 February 2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9214953)

So me using what is technically a hooky box as its not 'mine' isnt worth sky *Bricking* as you call it?

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:
Think I might phone my gaffer in the morning and tell him that one, he might share it with the lads for a giggle :thumb:

Dan Gleebits 09 February 2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 9214972)
I've never heard of this, do you work for sky mate?

:lol1::lol1:

+Doc+ 10 February 2010 12:14 AM

I have a Sky box on the way for + recording features only....I wont be paying :p

Dedrater 10 February 2010 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9214998)
So me using what is technically a hooky box as its not 'mine' isnt worth sky *Bricking* as you call it?

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:
Think I might phone my gaffer in the morning and tell him that one, he might share it with the lads for a giggle :thumb:

Sky Plus Recording without a subscription - Sky - Digital Spy Forums

There is an FAQ on AV forums about this aswell someware, thats where I first heard about the kill signal for PVR

Neanderthal 10 February 2010 08:40 AM

Interesting thread. I had thought if you unsubcribe from Sky they'd disable the recording features cause I'd have imagined 40% of the people that use Sky haven't cancelled cause we don't want to live without the recording features!

Bravo2zero_sps 10 February 2010 09:04 AM

Well it's still working this morning :) I guess I will have to give it 7 days to see if there is a weeks delay in sending the kill signal. Hopefully if it makes it past 7 days that will mean it's staying on.

Diesel 10 February 2010 09:04 AM

Yeah! :wonder: Another one of their grabby unpleasantness is to prevent you playing back stuff you recorded when you were subscribed unless you have both a satellite signal and an ongoing subscription. I had 6 hours of a series to watch and took the box with me on a holiday break - needles to say it wouldn't play back. Another nail in their coffin as I'd already paid SKY for those free to air programmes that I pay the BBC a licence for:freak3::mad:

D:cuckoo:

gpssti4 10 February 2010 09:15 AM

These are some of the reasons that I'll never subscribe to Sky.

Neanderthal 10 February 2010 10:25 AM

B2Z, please keep us informed.
The reason I've not cancelled sky is cause I can't really afford to buy a replacement PVR.

superstar1 10 February 2010 10:38 AM

I just use playstation 3 with play TV, great piece of kit.

Bravo2zero_sps 10 February 2010 10:45 AM

Neanderthal, will do.

Superstar1 is playtv any good? I bought a pvr and took it back yesterday after plugging it in and seeing how sh!t the menus were and how bad the tv quality was compared to the sky box.

Also not sure i'd want to hammer the PS3 that badly having it on all the time.

superstar1 10 February 2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9215453)
Neanderthal, will do.

Superstar1 is playtv any good? I bought a pvr and took it back yesterday after plugging it in and seeing how sh!t the menus were and how bad the tv quality was compared to the sky box.

Picture seems ok to me but i suppose it would be even better if i had a HD TV. It also wi-fi so can play games on line or do the tinternet or BBC i player. The TV guide/menu is sometimes difficult to make out unless you got a wide screen TV at least 32" or above. Good for pausing live TV or recording and simples to use. The missus loves it anyway so that's a result in itself:)

Diesel 10 February 2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9215453)
Neanderthal, will do.

Which one did you get mate? I have the Humax HD and maybe the picture (all via HDMI) on SKY HD was better/different but it does the job well on this latest software and pays for itself next month :D

D

Bravo2zero_sps 10 February 2010 03:44 PM

I bought a Sagem 320gb box with hdmi port, upscaling, output to external usb disk etc. Looked excellent spec wise however when plugged in the menus were shockingly slow, the picture was terrible and hated it immediately oh and you could hear the HDD spinning round permanently whilst it was doing its buffering for pause live TV etc. Made me realise just how good the Sky+ box is.

gpssti4 10 February 2010 04:40 PM

Humax boxes are the t*ts. I had a PVR - Freeview 9200 and now have a Foxsat twin tuner freesat recorder. All in all, it's very good, and no subscription. I bought mine at John Lewis for £250, but they maybe a little cheaper online.

Aaron1978 10 February 2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits (Post 9215001)
:lol1::lol1:

I knew you did work for them;)

Diesel 11 February 2010 12:34 AM

Hmm and cunningly you can record two channels and watch a third on the Humax HD box. Well, OK, not for all channels, but if you watch an >geek alert on< ITV multiplex stream you get 2 ITV's and can record/watch BBC. In yer face SKY! D