ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   SPD mtb pedals ???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/815197-spd-mtb-pedals.html)

greatgonzo 08 February 2010 10:42 PM

SPD mtb pedals ????

I'm looking at getting my first set of SPD pedals but not sure what to go for. I like the look of these Shimano M324 Clipless SPD/Flat Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com would be good to have a normal flat pedal when I'm not in bike shoes but I'm worried that having only one side click-able that its going to be hard to flip the pedal over and locate quickly. So I looked at these Shimano M424 Clipless SPD Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com but with these if your wearing bike shoes and you want to click out and ride with the platform of the pedal whats going to stop you from clicking back in :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :wonder::wonder::wonder::wonder::wonder:

Jamie 08 February 2010 10:52 PM

Evans Cycles | Shimano M540 SPD MTB pedal | Online Bike Shop

greatgonzo 08 February 2010 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9212709)

No good mate can't be used as a normal platform pedal :(

BOB.T 08 February 2010 11:22 PM

I'd avoid single sided pedals cos they're pants! :D

Are you thinking 'ride clipped in till I get to a tricky bit and then clip out'? Just stop being ghey and ride it! :p :D Just loosen the spuds off, you'll get out no probs! :)

greatgonzo 08 February 2010 11:35 PM

Its not just that, If I go for a short ride with my kids I wont be arsed to put the shoes on or if nipping down the shops etc etc..

Puff The Magic Wagon! 08 February 2010 11:41 PM

I used to have a set of these on my Orange

Shimano A530 Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Used to commute for a time and perfectly good for times in the boonies. It means that you don't always have to wear cycling shoes when commuting (like home form the pub). Sure, a bit more fiddly to get into sometimes but you get used to it as they are so well weighted as to hang down.

Have to say I've got XTs on my Spark and they are great but still a set of 1/2 & 1/2s on the commuter hack.

BOB.T 08 February 2010 11:47 PM

If you don't want to clip in just wear ordinary shoes, on the spuds with a cage obviously! The binding won't mind! :D

Butty 09 February 2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BOB.T (Post 9212830)
If you don't want to clip in just wear ordinary shoes, on the spuds with a cage obviously! The binding won't mind! :D

I've never suffered from normal shoes slipping off full SPD pedals when doing short rides to shops etc.

r32 09 February 2010 10:11 AM

What about these?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=4516

austinwrx 09 February 2010 10:23 AM

ignore evans cycles- they are dear.

try wiggle.

its more about the mechanism, the float, adjustment etc with such systems.

shimano are good though.

crank brothers egg beaters are good on a mtb too and plenty of movement.

time/look are pretty good for road bikes.

they will take a lot of getting used to. when you first try them, do it on a field/grass- because you will fall off.

if you do a lot of serious cycling, they are invaluable. if you just potter on tracks/roads, probably not worth the cost.

I've seen aldi/lidl do shoe and pedal sets for about £20/25...... which isn't to be laughed at for giving them a go.

555Rob555 09 February 2010 10:37 AM

I ran SPD's for about a year, and never really got on with them. I have problems rotating me ankles outwards, so if I stalled or wheel slipped on a steep climb, I just had to go over. My knees were forevever cut and bruised.

I now use DMR V12 with SPD shoes with no cletes. Miles better.

r32 09 February 2010 11:17 AM

I have run SPD's for years and years, have never fallen off because of them. Make sure you slacken the spring well off you may never bother to tighten them up. Practice clipping in and out and you shouldnt have any problems. Shimano for off road are as goood as the best, there are equal but none better.

Make sure you set them up so the position is comfortable.

Scoobydiid 09 February 2010 12:51 PM

I run Shimano M540's, but have bought a pair of clip in inserts, often come with bikes so you may be able to blag a pair from the bike shop (think I got them at Decatlon)
My SPD shoes are comfortable enough to walk in anyway so its not really a problem. Have cycled then walked 10 miles then ridden back again and I regularly wear them around the office if I ride in.

Avi 09 February 2010 01:28 PM

I have the shimano#s with the platform. Just so i can use the bike without my clips if i want to nip to the shop. Wouldn;t advise riding more than half a mile on the platforms though without clips, as the mechanism sticks up/

Mal K 09 February 2010 03:13 PM

Another vote for the DMR V12's here.

greatgonzo 09 February 2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Avi (Post 9213525)
I have the shimano#s with the platform. Just so i can use the bike without my clips if i want to nip to the shop. Wouldn;t advise riding more than half a mile on the platforms though without clips, as the mechanism sticks up/

The ones I'm looking at now have a pop up mechanism so they must pop down too?

decepticon 09 February 2010 04:01 PM

buy the shimano spd's as they normally come with a flat plastic cover to go over the pedals, if you want normal shoes then clip the plastic onto your pedals and off you go. take it off and clip in for off road riding though
shimano m520 should be more than good enough

J4CKO 09 February 2010 07:02 PM

I have the A530's and they were ok but got on my tits when trying to move of in SPD shoes so went for a full SPD both sides, the look like the 540's, have two sets, one on my Hybrid and one on my new road bike and I love them, so much better, to be honest two sets of pedals, one SPD and one normal plus a spanner is a better solution than the half and half pedals and my 530's have been relegated to my ancient diamondback rigid MTB.

SPD's are wonderful, anyone who does more than ride a £79 full suss MTB round the park with the kids once a year needs them on there bike.

I am happy doing a nip to the shops on SPD pedals in normal shoes, just have to pedal as normal, not a problem.

greatgonzo 09 February 2010 07:44 PM

Thanks everyone for all the feed back I'm doing a 75 mile ride Sunday so it will be nice to get them before that!
Cheers Gonzo