ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STI 330s, should I do it??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/813721-sti-330s-should-i-do-it.html)

Mike_1982 01 February 2010 10:33 PM

STI 330s, should I do it???

Hello,
I'm currently looking to change my BMW Z4M Roadster (2008) for another car, I have shortlisted the Subaru 330s. I really liked the normal STI when I test drove it pre BMW but having been reading a few post on here I'm slightly worried about engine reliability issues and warranty work!:eek: Have these issues been addressed or is it becoming the norm? I really like the JDM Spec C but I guess the 330S is the nearest we'll get without an Import (which I don’t want).
Thanks,
Mike :D

Terminator X 02 February 2010 12:01 AM

Does it have to be new? If not try the last of the old shape ie Spec C or Spec C RA or dare I say it Spec C RA-R :luvlove:

http://www.isdc.ie/Imprezas/my07-RA-R.jpg

TX.

Edit - what's wrong with an import :razz:

juggers 02 February 2010 01:40 AM

As TX said what's wrong with an import :)

Mike_1982 02 February 2010 07:43 AM

Hi Guys,

Yeah it would need to be atleast a 2009 Model.
Nothing wrong with an imported car, just not what I'm after on this occasion.

Mike:D

carlpcross 02 February 2010 08:41 AM

had my 330s around 3 months now and is the best impreza i have had by far.
the all round quality and included accessories makes it a great car.
previous:classic, blob and an rb320.....

do it.....

carlos..

Mikkel 02 February 2010 08:51 AM

You obviously don't mind driving ugly cars coming from a BMW Z4 :) So, yeah I would consider the new STi if I were you. It may look like a dogs dinner but it does apparently drive and handle as well, if not better, than the Imprezas that came before it... which is quite frankly amazingly well.

I think the early engine issues were mainly to do with a dodgy map wgich I believe has now been addressed.

urban 02 February 2010 09:25 AM

Unfortunately there are reports of 330's going bang too.

I quite fancy one myself, but the numbers of cars that have gone bang has really put me off :(

carlpcross 02 February 2010 09:41 AM

how many 330s have you heard go bang?

urban 02 February 2010 11:01 AM

Search for a thread in here - its many pages long and there were reports in there of 330's giving up

Found it
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-failure.html

Just go to the last page on that thread and you'l see an even more startling link on US cars blowing up
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1695936

On that last link you can see that it doesn't take long before they go bang :(

scooby L 02 February 2010 01:08 PM

Mike,

If you're that worried get one of Litchfield's JDM Hatches..

Stronger engine, better turbo, and superb dealer

(Ohh BTW my UK STI has been faultless from day one, now on 23k miles, nearly 2 years ownership and only been in twice, for services, I think there has been a bit of scare mongering about just how weak the engine actually is... look after it, and it'll see you right)

carlpcross 02 February 2010 02:39 PM

cant find any that have popped after the reflash, so looks like all the newer cars should be ok......

Abx 02 February 2010 02:48 PM

Do it, or get a std STI and spend what you save on map, CAI and exhaust, depends if you are after the extra power from the 330 or the extra comforts (Recaro's etc).

The hastch is an ace car with a few subtle mods.

RJMS 02 February 2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9197710)
Search for a thread in here - its many pages long and there were reports in there of 330's giving up

Found it

Just go to the last page on that thread and you'l see an even more startling link on US cars blowing up
2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC

On that last link you can see that it doesn't take long before they go bang :(

Mog 02 February 2010 05:51 PM

Just buy the Focus RS....sits back and waits.

Mog

Mike_1982 02 February 2010 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by RJMS (Post 9198333)

Thats what made me slightly concerned!!!
How much are the STI with PPP can you get the recaros as an extra? I prefer the WR Mica Blue which you dont get with the 330s :(
Mike

Marx Mcrae 02 February 2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 9198703)
Just buy the Focus RS....sits back and waits.

Mog

And regret it forever!! :lol1:

SunnySideUp 02 February 2010 08:19 PM

I understand your concern, reading what is written on here sometimes.

You need the true figures, how many sold versus the numbers with issues - then, take out the cars which have been messed about with.

You may discover that only one or two have gone badly wrong due to something inherently built in by Subaru.

It seems that the problems have occurred when quite new - so, Subaru will sort them out if anything happens.

But, if the truth be known, Subaru's only go wrong when hobbyists start playing with them - that's my opinion. Leave it standard and reap the benefits of a cracking car from a cracking company.

Go for it (and keep it as Subaru intended!) :thumb:

Mog 02 February 2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae (Post 9199046)
And regret it forever!! :lol1:

best thing I ever did was chop the 330s for the RS....so there.

kev m 02 February 2010 09:08 PM

Been told by a couple of dealers that stocks of new 330S'S are getting low, some colours are sold out. Also that dealers that have them in stock will not sell them to other dealers as they know they will be able to sell them.

SunnySideUp 02 February 2010 09:17 PM

A dealer saying there is about to be a shortage in supply??????????????????

NEVER!! :lol:

Mike_1982 02 February 2010 09:57 PM

To be fair, I was told something similar today - they are stopping making the 330s as it was only supposed to be a limited run! :Suspiciou
Anyone else know of this?

Mike:D

kev m 02 February 2010 10:24 PM

One of the dealer i spoke to had a car that someone tested but couldn't make there mind up if they wanted it in that colour or not, asked them to see if they could get a different colour. They couldn't so they went away to think about it. Someone else went in looked at the car & paid a deposit on it, other person phoned back saying they wanted it but too late sold and the dealer is unable to sorce another

SunnySideUp 02 February 2010 11:07 PM

Well, it may be true ..... Car Dealers don't lie ...... ;)

Joking aside, in this case, it may be true ... they need to clear the stocks to make way for their latest facelifted STi.

juggers 03 February 2010 12:36 AM

Get a JDM hatch with the twinscroll set up and with the savings on a 330 get the new 420/450 trubo upgrade!!

Immy

scooby L 03 February 2010 09:08 AM

I've never seen a new hatch STI in my local stealers, always been a WRX-s or hawkeyes and Leggys.

When I took mine in for a service the mechanics came out to look at it... they'd not even seen a premium STI hatch.

SunnySideUp 03 February 2010 09:11 AM

Is a Premium STi one down from a Prodrive STi? ;)

Abx 03 February 2010 09:16 AM

No, its a Euro import, but spec'd as a 330s, just without the PPP pack.

scooby L 03 February 2010 09:16 AM

Nothing to do with prodrive, just the internal premium options

(But you knew that already) ;):lol1:

scooby L 03 February 2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Arronb (Post 9200078)
No, its a Euro import, but spec'd as a 330s, just without the PPP pack.

I'd argue the 330s is actually spec'd as the Euro Premium, (with the additional PPP). :D The 330s came 2nd :norty:

SunnySideUp 03 February 2010 09:24 AM

So, is it the Premium Prodrive Performance Pack STi 330S WRX Hatch?

Or, PPPPSTi330SWRXH ... for short?

:lol1: