ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Exercising: can I.......... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/812994-exercising-can-i.html)

alcazar 29 January 2010 06:55 PM

Exercising: can I..........

..........safely do situps/ab scruntches?

I slipped a disc in my neck last year and had to have the disc removed and the vertebrae fused. Seventh and eighth vertebrae. I know that doing situps, your neck needs to be held rigid too, and don't want to undo the op:eek:

Any advice gratefully received.

dpb 29 January 2010 07:08 PM

Id ask your physio !!

scoobymad555 29 January 2010 07:14 PM

well i'm no medical expert but my 2 cents worth ....

think I'd be wary of going all out on standard sit-ups without confirmation first from a physio or osteo (NOT a doctor - they aren't nearly as well qualified to advise on this sort of thing) but, there are other options - I'd reckon you should be ok to do them using one of the crunch-cradles so long as you're careful. A lot of gyms have removed them from the workout areas because they allow the person using them to not use the muscles in and around the neck area which you would usually use when doing a sit-up. That might actually be of benefit to you though.

Alternatively, use your legs to develop your abs instead. There are a number of exercises that can be done by laying flat on your back and lifting your legs (some straight leg and some tucked leg) instead and can give just as good results if done right.

It's a sucky video but it should give you an idea - YouTube - The Best Abdominal Exercises (3 of 4)

dunx 29 January 2010 07:18 PM

Hi Jeff,

I'm full of cold so won't be infecting you next week, sorry !

But while I'm here....

When I did my back in I used to do "soft" sit-ups.

1. Hook feet under end of bed frame...

2. Perform sit-ups as normal using the matress as cushioning/springing.

Sounds a cheat, but I was in so much pain I couldn't do one normal sit-up on the floor.
My thinking was that I was aiming to gradually tone up the muscles and regain the lost flexibility in my lower back.

This is NOT to say this technique is suitable for all injuries.....

See you in March I hope.

dunx

P.S. You have a PM ;)

The Zohan 29 January 2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9189843)
Id ask your physio !!

or your doc, you may well find there are excersises you can do to strenghten your neck as well which is no bad thing

Leslie 30 January 2010 11:23 AM

I would certainly get professional advice. Not worth risking any further damage.

Les

Jamie 30 January 2010 11:27 AM

Call 01279 456789

if you are with bupa if not local doctor.

wrighty338 30 January 2010 11:33 AM

alcazar,there are far better exercises out there for your abs then situps

have a look at a few of these?
P90x Ab Ripper Workout | Free Workout Guides

you could do seated bicycle and leg raises without moving your neck.

chocolate_o_brian 30 January 2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9191055)
I would certainly get professional advice. Not worth risking any further damage.

Les

+1 Jeff :thumb:

rb5_336 30 January 2010 09:59 PM

I believe done right such exercises shouldn't strain your neck, but seek professional advice, both medical and personal trainer types. To work your core, you can do alternative exercises like planks, which have even less strain on neck.

Sean

alcazar 31 January 2010 12:14 PM

Planks?

markr1963 31 January 2010 12:32 PM

The plank