ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is Prince Charles right to intervene? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/812794-is-prince-charles-right-to-intervene.html)

Trout 28 January 2010 07:10 PM

Is Prince Charles right to intervene?

As above - Prince Charles likes to intervene especially in the areas of developments. Recently he sank a major development by one of the worlds finest architects by writing to the Qatari royal family saying he did not support the development. So they withdrew hundreds of millions of pounds of investment in the UK.

More recently he has been writing to Boris in private to lobby him.

What gives him this right to abuse this power?

He does it in secret, he has no public mandate and he is not answerable to anybody. Anybody would think we are all subjects ;)

Leslie 29 January 2010 12:52 PM

Bit like an Eu commissioner then!

Les :(

stilover 29 January 2010 01:06 PM

He talks to plants FFS. The mans an idiot.

Stick to opening things, and leave vital decisions to those who are educated enough.

dpb 29 January 2010 01:19 PM

lack of power has driven him crazy !

Jamie 29 January 2010 01:40 PM

He made me do the duke of edinburgh gold and i passed even though most of us where stoned 1990 :)

EddScott 29 January 2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9187568)
More recently he has been writing to Boris in private to lobby him.

What about? Is he asking Boris how to get on "Have I got News for You".

I think he can say and do what he likes - his old man does and his kids do (well, the cuckoo does anyway) so why not?

SJ_Skyline 29 January 2010 02:37 PM

Old Wingnut is perfect evidence that cousins shouldn't marry. :freak3:

Diesel 29 January 2010 02:42 PM

I think there is a vacancy for 'Prince of England'. Any takers. Please!

Hysteria1983 29 January 2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9189040)
He made me do the duke of edinburgh gold and i passed even though most of us where stoned 1990 :)

Just like a day trip out with his lads 'back in the day' I suppose.

He probably didn't know that most of you were stoned. Maybe just assumed that us common folk were like that.

Red eye, and a can of Vimto and some bacon Frazzles in hand. Those were the days. ;)

hodgy0_2 29 January 2010 03:04 PM

a man who has his tootpaste put on his toothbrush for him every morning and night

still at least when he his feeling really fit and energetic in the morning he gets his butler to run twice round the block for him

Trout 29 January 2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9189068)
What about? Is he asking Boris how to get on "Have I got News for You".

I think he can say and do what he likes - his old man does and his kids do (well, the cuckoo does anyway) so why not?

Charles, without any public mandate, writes to the Qatari royal family and scuppers a multi-billion pound investment in London, because he 'doesn't like it'.

He is pressurising Boris on planned developments in London - we don't know because the letters are private.

So he had no mandate and yet uses his right to privacy and significant power to interfere with public processes.

Personally it disgusts me. The man is a rose tinted nostalgia led busy body who thinks everyone should live in quaint model villages.

Another example is his 'organic' food company that espouses traditional healthy qualities which was shown to be some of the least healthy food on sale today due to sugar levels and salt levels; it's organic provenance is also open to question.

Trout 29 January 2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9188946)
Bit like an Eu commissioner then!

Les :(

Les,

except an EU Commissioner has less influence and is there by a democratic process (it may not be one you agree with, but that is democracy for you!).

Trout :D

Jamie 29 January 2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 9189173)
Just like a day trip out with his lads 'back in the day' I suppose.

He probably didn't know that most of you were stoned. Maybe just assumed that us common folk were like that.

Red eye, and a can of Vimto and some bacon Frazzles in hand. Those were the days. ;)

We did drink the ethanol and then starved because we could not cook jack sh!t:brickwall

Leslie 30 January 2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9189253)
Les,

except an EU Commissioner has less influence and is there by a democratic process (it may not be one you agree with, but that is democracy for you!).

Trout :D

My education must be lacking Trout, what is the democratic process, I don't remember voting for one of those fellows!

Les :wonder:

Trout 30 January 2010 12:19 PM

You vote twice.

You vote for the national government that proposes them.

You vote for the MEPs who then approve/veto them.

The only power they represent is to recommend law to the European Parliament. Again full of MEPs you voted for.

Leslie 31 January 2010 11:47 AM

That is just too roundabout for words!

We have not voted for the actual commissioner at all, he has been appointed and we have no say whatsoever in that.

How many MEPs are there in the Eu parliament and how many of those have we actually voted for? Do you really think that we have any significant democratic power in the Eu parliament?

Les

SimonD 31 January 2010 11:59 AM

I don't always agree with him but it is nice sometimes to have someone whose first motive isn't profit sticking his oar in.

David Lock 31 January 2010 12:02 PM

Charles can write what he likes - it is the arseholes that take any notice that need sorting,

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your recent letter.

Now piss off please.

Your loyal servant,

etc, etc

Trout 31 January 2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9193075)
That is just too roundabout for words!

We have not voted for the actual commissioner at all, he has been appointed and we have no say whatsoever in that.

How many MEPs are there in the Eu parliament and how many of those have we actually voted for? Do you really think that we have any significant democratic power in the Eu parliament?

Les

We have exactly the same democratic power as every other individual who is a registered voter in a member state :confused:

Or do you think that we should have extra votes because we are British? ;)

r32 31 January 2010 09:16 PM

thank goodness we have some without a vested interest who gives a ****.

Martin2005 31 January 2010 09:40 PM

Do we vote for civil servants in this country?

Are you suggesting that we special Brits should have more votes than anyone else?

Leslie 01 February 2010 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9193325)
We have exactly the same democratic power as every other individual who is a registered voter in a member state :confused:

Or do you think that we should have extra votes because we are British? ;)

You and Martin have missed the point completely.

My point is, when we are in the position that we are federated into the corrupt Eu, they will have complete power to tell us how to live our lives and if we don't like what they are ordering us to do our 10% membership of the Eu parliament wiil not give us a chance to vote it down. Now you tell me if that is giving us a democratic ability to be able to influence our own destiny!!! It will lead to a totalitarian government for all 27 countries whose effective voting capability will be completely divided!

As far as the conclusion that you both jumped to-conveniently of course, I think you know I was not saying that we should have any more MEP's in the Eu parliament. What I am saying is that we would do a lot better to keep out of the federation and consequently the Eu Parliament, negotiate a free trade agreement with the Eu as Norway does, and keep our own government which we can vote for in full! That way we can rule our own lives in our own country with the power of the veto given to us by our individual votes. This system has worked so well for so many years after all! It is the one way to avoid totalitarian governement even if that is what NL would dearly love. But we can vote them out of course!

If you don't agree with that, please justify our federated membership of the Eu then.

Les

Leslie 01 February 2010 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9194617)
Do we vote for civil servants in this country?

Are you suggesting that we special Brits should have more votes than anyone else?

Do civil servants or the government make the policy which civil servants have to follow?

Les