ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Question (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/812373-question.html)

subaruturbo_18 26 January 2010 05:05 PM

Question

Does anybody know where i can get a private maths tutor, and how much it may cost? I only need one for a few sessions, maybe 6 hours tops.

I study mech eng at uni, and am having some trouble with maths. I'm getting help from mates but i can't rely on them as they have their own studies.

I have tried getting help rom tutors at uni but they are useless. The student support officer who is there for 'supporting' students claimed he couldn't do anything apart from find out about books. Which i already have.

Chip 26 January 2010 05:10 PM

It may help if you stated what area you were in:)

Chip

chocolate_o_brian 26 January 2010 05:37 PM

I can't really help you with regards finding a tutor. All I can say is that it is definitely worth it. The 2 things I have struggled with on my apprenticeship so far have been maths and physics lessons. I'm only doing work to about GCSE level at the minute but have not done anything like this or used my skills since leaving school 10 years ago. A mate who just happened to have expertise in the above fields offered to help and I got 100% on the maths and 73% on the physics. A lot of it for me is how the tutor teaches, and how basic they can break the troublesome parts down without you feeling a dumb **** :lol1:

Good luck anywho, I was lucky to get the tutoring I needed FOC :eek:

bigsinky 26 January 2010 05:58 PM

calculus perchance?

hutton_d 26 January 2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 (Post 9182643)
... I study mech eng at uni, and am having some trouble with maths. I'm getting help from mates but i can't rely on them as they have their own studies ....

Did Mech Eng (long time ago!) and was surprised by how much maffs there was ... I was reasonable at it though - never did manage to get my head around Fourier Transforms though ....

Managed to get through 'cos we had a house, from the 2nd year on, where there were 7 of us on the same course. This helped tremendously. Even if your mates have their own studies I'd still ask for help. They can always say no!

Dave

subaruturbo_18 26 January 2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 9182655)
It may help if you stated what area you were in:)

Chip

West Sussex.

subaruturbo_18 26 January 2010 11:28 PM

Also, there is no definate subject in maths that i am struggling with, just a little bit in a few areas. Its more basic stuff that i dont have that affects me later on when it gets more complicated. If that makes sense to anyone? :lol1:

AudiMan 27 January 2010 04:50 PM

Tutors vary in price from £25/hr to £40/hr depending on level (GCSE to A level/Degree), they also vary in ability, as most are full time teachers trying to earn some extra cash.
I think the Local councils have links via the local education places for cantact info, also there are companies offering a service to find you one, but you may struggle to get a short term thing going this route.
Word of mouth is usually the best way, alternatively do a google search.
Good luck, my son just finished AS maths at school !! bloody hard..

Ian..

subaruturbo_18 27 January 2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by AudiMan (Post 9184838)
Tutors vary in price from £25/hr to £40/hr depending on level (GCSE to A level/Degree), they also vary in ability, as most are full time teachers trying to earn some extra cash.
I think the Local councils have links via the local education places for cantact info, also there are companies offering a service to find you one, but you may struggle to get a short term thing going this route.
Word of mouth is usually the best way, alternatively do a google search.
Good luck, my son just finished AS maths at school !! bloody hard..

Ian..

Cheers :thumb: