ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Some good news (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/811523-some-good-news.html)

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 10:44 AM

Some good news

For me?? Unusual I know :p

Just had a company called Global Insulate come round and survey the house for an insulation grant. Some may remember I asked a few weeks ago about it.

Anywho, unfortunately I can't have cavity wall insulation as my house has solid walls (being pre 1920), but the insulation in the roof is pants and about 3" thick. So the surveyor guy said it would be a good idea to have about 11" of insulation up there. Great I thought, just wonder what it would cost me. :eek:

So he fills in the paperwork and asks to see my working tax credit award documentation/I.D./bank statement for security. No problems there and he comments that they'll send a letter in 4-8 weeks and do the work the week after.

I gulped a little and asked how much would I need to put towards it as I'd need to try save - the answer £0 :D

As I'm on very little as an apprentice and the overall house income is pretty much under the poverty line :lol1: I don't have to pay anything to it. Quite pleased and I'm on a super scrounge now to see what else I can get ;)

Definitely worth looking into if you are (well unlikely on here to be honest) on very little earnings.

fitzscoob 22 January 2010 11:04 AM

Thats good news!

I wasnt sure what sort of result you would get as I looked into a grant for replacing my windows.

I dont have double glazing and its freezing in my flat, however as its only me I wrap up warm.

For the windows it was a maximum of £100 per window, max of 20 windows, minimum spend of £2000 before any discounts applied - so was pretty worthless to me for 3 windows!

Glad you got a result though, its on my list to get up into my loft and check on the insulation if there is any at all!

Bravo2zero_sps 22 January 2010 11:12 AM

Well you don't get what you don't ask for so good for you for getting it. Hopefully it will help with keeping heating bills down and you'll benefit from something that cost you nothing but a bit of time looking into it.

WRX_Dazza 22 January 2010 11:37 AM

wait till they install it, rip it all out and put it on ebay.

should cover your insurance for another scoob !!! :)

hahhahah

well done mate, about time you had some good luck !

ALi-B 22 January 2010 11:46 AM

Just get any electric/plumbing work up there sorted BEFORE you get it insulated.

At that depth, a plumber/spark will just tear it up and shove it in a corner to be able to do their work, and it'll never go back right.

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9173237)
Just get any electric/plumbing work up there sorted BEFORE you get it insulated.

At that depth, a plumber/spark will just tear it up and shove it in a corner to be able to do their work, and it'll never go back right.

There's nothing up there what so ever. One light which has a plug on the wire and that drops out the hole into the loft. All my plumbing is in my bedroom and between the living room/my room floorboards/kitchen.

ALi-B 22 January 2010 12:13 PM

So you have no ceiling lights in the upstairs room? :wonder:

Just saying, because being a 1920's house it may need rewiring at some point (or if it was re-wired in the 80's and bodged, like our last house).

Same with fitting wired alarms or distributed aerial cabling etc.

ALi-B 22 January 2010 12:23 PM

Just incase you have any recessed spotlights, halogen or low voltage downlights, make sure they don't cover over them and leave air space to stop them overheating (including the transformer if LV) or make sure they use either fire domes or loft braces over them (something the insulation contractors negated to do in my Gran's house, creating a nice fire risk :nono: )

Leslie 22 January 2010 12:30 PM

Glad to hear your news COB, nothing like a bit of good luck when you need it.

Les :)

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9173283)
So you have no ceiling lights in the upstairs room? :wonder:

Just saying, because being a 1920's house it may need rewiring at some point (or if it was re-wired in the 80's and bodged, like our last house).

Same with fitting wired alarms or distributed aerial cabling etc.

Sorry, didn't realise you mean't that. I assumed you mean't loft lighting etc.

I'll be in the day they do it, so will make sure it's not a bodge :nono:

Jamz3k 22 January 2010 12:34 PM

Great stuff COB, you deserve all the good luck you can get big lad!:thumb:

SunnySideUp 22 January 2010 01:11 PM

Yeah, good news ..... Global Insulate seemed pretty decent on the WatchDog programme I saw about them ..
Just joking ;)

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9173402)
Yeah, good news ..... Global Insulate seemed pretty decent on the WatchDog programme I saw about them ..
Just joking ;)

For the record, the TV I bought from Currys back in December 2007 still works perfectly and I have been satisfied with their customer services dept. too :p;)

ilogikal1 22 January 2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9173143)
£0 :D

You sure you can scrape that together in 4-8 weeks? :D

Good luck doesn't often come your way, good news indeed :thumb:

SunnySideUp 22 January 2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9173433)
For the record, the TV I bought from Currys back in December 2007 still works perfectly and I have been satisfied with their customer services dept. too :p;)

:lol1::lol: You just wait until you REALLY need them!! :p:hjtwofing:thumb:

ScoobyWon't 22 January 2010 01:39 PM

Quite pleased and I'm on a super scrounge now to see what else I can get ;)

I will give you free board and lodgings at work for a night. That'll save you having to pay heating, fuel and food bills :thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 9173477)
I will give you free board and lodgings at work for a night. That'll save you having to pay heating, fuel and food bills :thumb:

You dirty pig bas.... ahhh, see what you're trying to do :D

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9173465)
:lol1::lol: You just wait until you REALLY need them!! :p:hjtwofing:thumb:

Thats what home contents insurance is for :thumb:

Aaron1978 22 January 2010 07:54 PM

Can you Pm me the number for Globe insulate please C O B.

Aaron:)

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 9174378)
Can you Pm me the number for Globe insulate please C O B.

Aaron:)

All here dude, Global Insulation: Welcome

Aaron1978 22 January 2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9174432)

Cheers matey, couldn't find it with a search:freak3:

Aaron:thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 22 January 2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 9174465)
Cheers matey, couldn't find it with a search:freak3:

Aaron:thumb:

No problem, brother from a different mother :D

chocolate_o_brian 29 January 2010 06:39 PM

For me?? Unusual I know :p

Just had a company called Global Insulate come round and survey the house for an insulation grant. Some may remember I asked a few weeks ago about it.

Anywho, unfortunately I can't have cavity wall insulation as my house has solid walls (being pre 1920), but the insulation in the roof is pants and about 3" thick. So the surveyor guy said it would be a good idea to have about 11" of insulation up there. Great I thought, just wonder what it would cost me. :eek:

So he fills in the paperwork and asks to see my working tax credit award documentation/I.D./bank statement for security. No problems there and he comments that they'll send a letter in 4-8 weeks and do the work the week after.

I gulped a little and asked how much would I need to put towards it as I'd need to try save - the answer £0 :D

As I'm on very little as an apprentice and the overall house income is pretty much under the poverty line :lol1: I don't have to pay anything to it. Quite pleased and I'm on a super scrounge now to see what else I can get ;)

Definitely worth looking into if you are (well unlikely on here to be honest) on very little earnings.

Erm, scrap the 4-8 weeks thing, the buggers left me a voicemail this afternoon saying they're coming on Tuesday 2nd Feb for a PM appointment :lol1:

Crap, gonna have to see if work will let me have an afternoon off :freak3:

ilogikal1 29 January 2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9189718)
Crap, gonna have to see if work will let me have an afternoon off :freak3:

It's a hard life :lol1: