ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The problem with 3D Cinema (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/811508-the-problem-with-3d-cinema.html)

Trout 22 January 2010 08:38 AM

The problem with 3D Cinema

...is that there is not enough of it. Most of my local cinemas only have one screen where they can show 3D. It makes the takings for Avatar even more remarkable as it is a limited market.

My son and I go to the cinema very regularly and he was very excited that Toy Story 3D was coming this weekend - it is a limited release of two weeks only.

But when I went to the local Vue last night, all evidence of Toy Story have been expunged. The big cardboard stand, all the posters, everything. The Vue has dropped Toy Story in favour of keeping Avatar.

Not even a morning showing for the kids.

I now have to explain market dyanamics to what was a very excited, and now a very disappointed four year old who has been looking forward to this for months.

Damn you Vue!

Leslie 22 January 2010 01:10 PM

Was the Vue able to offer an acceptable explanation?

Les

StickyMicky 22 January 2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9173400)
Was the Vue able to offer an acceptable explanation?

Les

I would hazard a guess that it would be along the lines of
"nobody was interested in it."

Leslie 22 January 2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9173405)

Or even that Vue don't give a stuff what anyone thinks anyway!

Les

Jamz3k 22 January 2010 02:43 PM

The only problem i had with 3D cinema is a small one, my 3D glasses were water stained from poor washing techniques.

Dingdongler 23 January 2010 08:35 PM

Vue cinemas are sh1te. I'd recommend you move house somewhere close to a decent cinema

corradoboy 23 January 2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9172960)
The problem with 3D Cinema...is that there is not enough of it.

Just so long as they don't dumb down the films and hide behind the 3D gimmick. Having seen a few films in 3D recently, I have to say that after the initial 'oooh, aaah, wow!' 20-30 minutes, it no longer adds anything to the experience. I was disappointed when only the first 20 mins of Harry Potter was 3D, but in retrospect it would have been a good move, providing they had then proceeded to cut 40 minutes more OUT of the tedious crap. With a major spectacle like Avatar I fully appreciate the ground-breaking work in its production, but for lesser works I fear the gimmick may be used to mask inadequacies in the work elsewhere.

oldsplice 23 January 2010 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 9176497)
Just so long as they don't dumb down the films and hide behind the 3D gimmick. Having seen a few films in 3D recently, I have to say that after the initial 'oooh, aaah, wow!' 20-30 minutes, it no longer adds anything to the experience. I was disappointed when only the first 20 mins of Harry Potter was 3D, but in retrospect it would have been a good move, providing they had then proceeded to cut 40 minutes more OUT of the tedious crap. With a major spectacle like Avatar I fully appreciate the ground-breaking work in its production, but for lesser works I fear the gimmick may be used to mask inadequacies in the work elsewhere.

Exactly! Gimmicks should never get in the way of a good story. :thumb: :D

Trout 23 January 2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9173405)

Toy Story is a modern cinema classic my friend from one of the greatest modern studios!!! Going to see it in a proper independent tomorrow.

kingofturds 24 January 2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9173624)
The only problem i had with 3D cinema is a small one, my 3D glasses were water stained from poor washing techniques.

I have my own pair, if vue can charge me fifty quid for a ferking hot dog, I'm sure they can spare a pair of glasses.

corradoboy 24 January 2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 9177349)
fifty quid for a ferking hot dog

...that doesn't contain anything that can legally be called 'meat' https://bestsmileys.com/puking/2.gif