ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Breitling watch full of water - shop says its watertight!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/811014-breitling-watch-full-of-water-shop-says-its-watertight.html)

Diesel 19 January 2010 04:57 PM

Breitling watch full of water - shop says its watertight!!!

My water resistant Breitling Aerospace watch died after a swimming pool trip with the kids so I just took it to the shop that guarantees it after they changed the battery and seals (and charging £55 to do so) a few months ago. They pressure tested it dry and wet and told me its is fine - all seals good to 5 bar and its perfectly watertight - even with the crown pulled out. However you can see the b water in it! Arghhh!

I've had to contact Breitling direct and hope they can explain the mystery water as the watch is now totally shot. I guess the good but ironic thing is that it proves no abuse on my part if the seals are good but anyone else had any such bizarre poltergeist water denial dealings?

D

rifleman 19 January 2010 05:01 PM

my breitling is a kinetic one so never has to be touched.either yours is an old model or bit dodgy....did you buy it new?

Diesel 19 January 2010 05:13 PM

Its definitely not dodgy - it came from an authorised reseller in Patpong. No box though ;) Beam me up Scotty:freak3:

D
(seriously - its pukka!)

what would scooby do 19 January 2010 05:22 PM

You should have used a Breitta water filter :D

Devildog 19 January 2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 9167396)
My water resistant Breitling Aerospace watch died after a swimming pool trip with the kids so I just took it to the shop that guarantees it after they changed the battery and seals (and charging £55 to do so) a few months ago. They pressure tested it dry and wet and told me its is fine - all seals good to 5 bar and its perfectly watertight - even with the crown pulled out. However you can see the b water in it! Arghhh!

I've had to contact Breitling direct and hope they can explain the mystery water as the watch is now totally shot. I guess the good but ironic thing is that it proves no abuse on my part if the seals are good but anyone else had any such bizarre poltergeist water denial dealings?

D

Diesel,

Sounds like it may be condensation inside the case from water vapour when it was repaired. Either it was not properly dried out, or there was too much water vapour in the air when it was re-sealed.

GC8WRX 19 January 2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 9167433)
Its definitely not dodgy - it came from an authorised reseller in Patpong. No box though ;) Beam me up Scotty:freak3:

D
(seriously - its pukka!)

So you bought it in thailand with no box and you think its genuine?

Have you had it checked by a breitling retailer?

I bet it isnt real!

Jamo 19 January 2010 06:00 PM

he was joking mate.

boomer 19 January 2010 06:45 PM

so I just took it to the shop that guarantees it after they changed the battery and seals (and charging £55 to do so)

Was it a Breitling dealer?

mb

Rob_Impreza99 19 January 2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 9167656)

mb

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/attachm...ker_george.jpg

He said it was.....

my06 ppp silver 19 January 2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99 (Post 9167681)

:lol: pmsl, if you could just tell me your bank account details :lol1:

Diesel 19 January 2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 9167529)
Diesel,

Sounds like it may be condensation inside the case from water vapour when it was repaired. Either it was not properly dried out, or there was too much water vapour in the air when it was re-sealed.

Thanks for the idea mate as I'm still baffled and dreading any massive invoice for a new movement! It is far more than any water vapour though - I think I saw ants white water rafting in there!

Where are the Scooby watch massive when you need them? Is there a watch sub-forum now?;)

D

Diesel 19 January 2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 9167656)

mb

Yes mate - both for purchase and for service. (In fact from a short chap called Ling - also runs the Ping Pong bar;)). Just joking - its all pukka & a legacy of my single and no kids days!

D

PaulC72 19 January 2010 07:19 PM

Obviously the shop are going to say it was ok, did you see then take it out the back and check it out (redoing the seals at the same time?) if you ar ein touch with Breitling I imagine they will want to look at it and will provide you with a full report to claim off the shop in question, after all it must be their fault...

StickyMicky 19 January 2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9167453)
You should have used a Breitta water filter :D

:lol1:

Of course its water tight, other wise it would have sprung a leak and drained :D

Sucks though :(

GC8 19 January 2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973 (Post 9167539)
he was joking mate.

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/i...rge/CT0183.jpg

:D

boomer 19 January 2010 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 9167751)
Yes mate - both for purchase and for service. (In fact from a short chap called Ling - also runs the Ping Pong bar;)). Just joking - its all pukka & a legacy of my single and no kids days!

D

My first battery replacement was around fifty quid (Mappin & Webb, where i bought it in the first place), but my second with a full service (new pads and a fresh bottle of screen-wash) was five times that (Goldsmiths).

I would hope that part of paying sooo much would be a "how much can we suck up to you sir" response, should things go adrift.

Take it to the top!

mb

Ray_li 20 January 2010 12:03 AM

There's you problem there!

It's a Breitling Aerospace meant for flying not diving ;)

Diesel 20 January 2010 08:03 AM

:( Aww - it was kind of the reason I thought of SN in seeking this unusual advice actually. Shame. D

Diesel 20 January 2010 08:36 AM

The post I refer to above now seems to have been deleted. I'm not going mad honest! D

r32 20 January 2010 09:23 AM

it may be as already mentioned condensation. Proper repairers make sure that the air is dry or use a gas to ensure that this doesnt happen. Send it to Breitling and it will be fixed. Never buy a quartz watch. But if you do always get it sent to the UK arm of the manufacturer, it will cost more but its worth it.

ALi-B 20 January 2010 10:52 AM

Never buy a quartz? Hmmm. OK.

Diesel 20 January 2010 11:40 AM

Thanks R32. I shudder to think of the cost of fixing a clockwork watch mind! How Victorian:thumb:

D

GC8WRX 20 January 2010 06:45 PM

Hook, line, sinker and copy of angling times!

I seem to missed the boat with this one, oops!

Account deleted by request 20 January 2010 07:59 PM

What happened to my post on here? Deleted by someone with no explanation?

Surprise :cuckoo:

salsa-king 20 January 2010 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel (Post 9167433)

D
(seriously - its pukka!)

saw this and thought of you....

YouTube - Pawn Stars: How to Spot a Fake Rolex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3mDX9XgXM

Diesel 21 January 2010 12:46 PM

Ironically my fake Rolex works fine and is being put to good use - I really DID get it in Patpong years ago!

D

stilover 21 January 2010 01:29 PM

D

£55? Really? Was that at the pukka Breitling sevice centre? Had my Navitimer World serviced last year. Bill was nearly £300.

Diesel 21 January 2010 01:42 PM

Yes - only a battery, not a gearbox oil change & valet! D

my06 ppp silver 21 January 2010 06:52 PM

hmmm there is always this mans mate lol. https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ing-watch.html

Diesel 28 January 2010 09:15 PM

Invoice received - £500. Breitling say it is watertight though, but water may have got in from the crown. WTF:eek:? If I cant get them to be more fair and honourable than this its a write off. £500 re floors the living room which is more important than overpriced indulgent cr@p like this.:( Its just a quartz watch FFS. Not 'appy!

D