ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best sports commentator ever? A sad loss - Bill McLaren (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/811012-best-sports-commentator-ever-a-sad-loss-bill-mclaren.html)

Trout 19 January 2010 04:56 PM

Best sports commentator ever? A sad loss - Bill McLaren

Bill Mclaren died today, aged 86. He was my favourite sports commentator of my lifetime - RIP.

Bill McLaren

David Lock 19 January 2010 05:35 PM

Bill was certainly in the top drawer. A bit special.

dl

WRX_Dazza 19 January 2010 10:26 PM

he made the scottish international games something special. :(

a proper gent.

SwissTony 19 January 2010 10:36 PM

Just been watching the 10 oclock news and saw that. Quite upset at the news as I played rugby for over 11 years and have watched it for longer and in that time the voice of Bill Mclaren was always present and by far my favourite :thumb:

Trout 19 January 2010 11:12 PM

It was wonderful to see that film of his last commentary. He looked so full of emotion, but had that Borders stoicism holding it all back.

A special man.

Leslie 20 January 2010 11:25 AM

I played a lot of rugby too and can't say how sorry I am at that news.

Les

Trout 20 January 2010 12:02 PM

Bill at his best...

Scotland v Wales

And lots of Mclaren-isms on Google today.

stilover 20 January 2010 01:15 PM

I'd say Murray Walker is/was the best.

dpb 20 January 2010 01:31 PM

Could make a dull match worth watching,even if you didnt know the rules :thumb:

hodgy0_2 20 January 2010 03:22 PM

v sad

his voice was the soundtrack to my childhood -- with my father watching the 4 nations in the sitting room on a TV the size of small house

richieh 20 January 2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 9169119)
I'd say Murray Walker is/was the best.

sorry but Bill was so good he makes Murray sound about as good as Eddie Jordan-He was a true commentary genius who whould spend days researching the teams before a match-just listen to how many facts and figures he would add to his commentary-even someone who didnt understand rugby would be able to follow it. All IMO of course.
cheers Richie

Trout 20 January 2010 06:10 PM

My title was intended to be rhetorical and Mclaren was certainly the best in my eyes.

Murray Walker at his best was entertaining but he stayed too long. In his last years at the BBC he was a sad caricature of himself who could barely keep up with his own demonstrative style. Amazingly they were the same age.

Mclaren was humourous without being crass, judicious not judgmental, better informed on each team than many of the team staff, impartial to a level that must have been painful at times. He was inspiring, informed and simply brought a game to life in the way that his contemporaries, Murray, Allis, Maskell never quite did. They were good in defining their sports, Mclaren was just that little bit more special.

astraboy 20 January 2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9169325)
v sad

his voice was the soundtrack to my childhood -- with my father watching the 4 nations in the sitting room on a TV the size of small house

Ditto, i grew up listening to the sound of his voice, there was something strangely comforting about hearing it even last night when watching it on the news.
Sad day indeed.
astraboy.

Account deleted by request 20 January 2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9169673)
My title was intended to be rhetorical and Mclaren was certainly the best in my eyes.

Murray Walker at his best was entertaining but he stayed too long. In his last years at the BBC he was a sad caricature of himself who could barely keep up with his own demonstrative style. Amazingly they were the same age.

Mclaren was humourous without being crass, judicious not judgmental, better informed on each team than many of the team staff, impartial to a level that must have been painful at times. He was inspiring, informed and simply brought a game to life in the way that his contemporaries, Murray, Allis, Maskell never quite did. They were good in defining their sports, Mclaren was just that little bit more special.

How perfectly put.

A sad loss indeed.

RIP :-(

WRX_Dazza 20 January 2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by astraboy (Post 9169816)
Ditto, i grew up listening to the sound of his voice

watching the video clip above took me right back to Childhood saturday afternoons....

just waiting for the wrestling and final footie results now
(East Fife 4, Forfar 5) !!! hahahahaha i used to check the pools for my dad !!

happy days !

Trout 25 January 2010 05:30 PM

Pictures from his funeral today. Very moving to see so many, and so many of the great and the good from the world of rugby.

Bill McLaren

Trout 06 February 2010 12:17 PM

Heads up - There is a special on BBC1 at 1pm today.

Bill McLaren - Flower of Scotland

It will be iPlayer later if you miss it.

Maz 06 February 2010 04:12 PM

A sad loss indeed. Some of the imagery he conjured up whilst commentating was classic. 'Arms and legs waving like an octopus'. RIP.