ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Former Arsenal players finding they aren't as good as they think... (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/810961-former-arsenal-players-finding-they-arent-as-good-as-they-think.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 19 January 2010 10:24 AM

Former Arsenal players finding they aren't as good as they think...

Flamini is the latest now to be leaving his 'big club' and having to move to Man City. What with Hleb having had a disastrous time at Barca and ending up back in Germany playing at a far lower level than when he was at Arsenal makes me laugh. Vieira has come back to the Premiership and even Henry at Barca isn't the huge star name he was when he was at Arsenal.

These players just don't seem to realise the reason they do so well at Arsenal is not because of their individual talent but because of the team they play in as a whole and the manager that makes them successful. Also the Premiership is now the strongest league in the World and to leave is a mistake.

I think the same goes for any players at Man Utd and Chelsea, if they were to leave they would never keep the big name status they have whilst in the Premiership. What's happened to Ronaldo? He was the biggest name in football whilst at Man Utd, never hear anything of him in the press now he's at Madrid.

Fabregas better be very careful of any potential desire to move to Barca because they have such a strong midfield he is not guaranteed 1st team football week in week out like he is at Arsenal.

STi wanna Subaru 19 January 2010 10:56 AM

Err Ronaldo has 13 goals in 15 games so I'd say you're wrong there but I do agree in the main with your assessment. Vieira and Henry wanted a big last pay day though. Fair point on Helb.

Bravo2zero_sps 19 January 2010 12:06 PM

Well the other way to look at Ronaldo is that Madrid have played 18 league games, he has started 9 and been a sub for 1 so has he been injured? You look at the Sky Sports page for Madrid and he is hardly mentioned. At Utd he was never off the football news pages.

I'm not saying he is doing badly, i'm saying that by leaving the Premiership the star status seems to diminish and get no way near the press coverage. Perhaps he is still big news in the Spanish press but it used to be International interest on him in the news which doesn't appear to be the case now.

STi wanna Subaru 19 January 2010 12:50 PM

Maybe. I guess time will tell. It's pretty clear the Prem is the big overseas league so you may well be right. Becks star didn't diminish at Madrid

pauld37 19 January 2010 03:42 PM

:wonder: Or maybe these players are being shown as only very average in a stronger league?

Bravo2zero_sps 19 January 2010 03:59 PM

Paul historically you could suggest that but the Premiership is now regarded as the strongest league by a mile.

Take Serie A and Primera Division, the Italians have only 2 teams that are of any significance in both Milan teams and they aren't anywhere near as strong as they used to be and the same goes for Spain in Barca and Madrid. The only other team in European football to be considered a major strength is Bayern Munich.

European Leagues just aren't anywhere near as strong as they used to be. Serie A used to have loads of top teams and they have all fallen by the way side. Where are Roma, Lazio, Juventus, Sampdoria now? Certainly not teams to be frightened of playing in European football.

STi wanna Subaru 19 January 2010 04:04 PM

Errr as I said Ronaldo's almost averaging a goal a game. I think that's a bit above average?

Aaron1978 19 January 2010 06:02 PM

Ronaldo was injured for 6 weeks and also there is the spanish winter break, when the champions league kicks off again you'll hear alot more from abroad.

If he hadn't suffered that injury i think he woud have had a chance of bettering his 42 for Utd.

Aaron:thumb:

DaveBeck 19 January 2010 06:33 PM

Ronaldo is on a wage that makes players at Man City and Chelsea look like lower league. I'm sure he is happy.

Ex Arsenal players, you are right though. although they were nearing the end of their prime except Hleb who wasnt great for us anyway

Flamini i have no idea what happened. he had Gattuso ahead of him and he was employed as a right back i think last season. I would have him back in a flash. awesome for us and would be a great sub to bring on to shore up the midfield to see out games

We know the PL is the strongest due to the amount of times in recent seasons an English club has been in semi's/finals in CL

Bravo2zero_sps 19 January 2010 06:40 PM

Dave he is the one person we need back as backup for Song. As he can also play at left back and apparently now right back as well he would be very good to have back.

As Wenger brought Campbell back perhaps he is in the mood for reunions :D

DaveBeck 19 January 2010 06:46 PM

defo especially as he seems to be changing his own rules.

2 year contract for Gallas, over 30 and an old player back

least he's not breaking the rule about never buying when we are desperate lol

Tenby 31 January 2010 02:08 PM

premiership is deffo the hardest league. U only have to look at CL