ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone got electric gate openers?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/810912-anyone-got-electric-gate-openers.html)

HI SOOB 18 January 2010 09:11 PM

Anyone got electric gate openers??

Needing to buy an electric gate opening kit for a set of doors I have on the enterance to the side of our house.
The gates are solid wood and its often windy here so the openers need to be able to take a bit of force when they are shut.
Width per wing is approx 2.2 meters and they weigh around 100 Kg per wing.

If anyone can recommend any suppliers that they have used it would be great.

A few on eBay and plenty companies out there selling them, but not sure of the quality.
Its going to be around 400 bucks for the average one so I dont know if they are any good.

Advice appreciated.

J

j4ckos mate 18 January 2010 09:26 PM

a mate of mine will help you im sure

Automation Supply - Complete Automation for Gates, Doors and Barriers

GC8 18 January 2010 09:30 PM

You can secure a closed gate in place easily with electromagnetic locks. Theyre simple electro-magnets and when energised (12v) they apply a 500kgs-resisting 'grap'. The cost for a couple will be <£100 and theyre extremely useful.

HI SOOB 18 January 2010 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 9165995)
You can secure a closed gate in place easily with electromagnetic locks. Theyre simple electro-magnets and when energised (12v) they apply a 500kgs-resisting 'grap'. The cost for a couple will be <£100 and theyre extremely useful.

Cracking idea Matey.
Will get them put on and made to work in sync with the ele gate opening kit.

Thanks again. Top idea.

G00ner 18 January 2010 09:47 PM

I've got Came' Ati openers on my gates, they were fitted when we first moved in and have proven to be quite reliable considering the harsh environment (we live on the beach).

At our old house we had underfloor hydraulic gates that were an arse to work on, the Came' openers have been a piece of cake to work on and the support has been first class.

My openers were originally mounted too low and on a double high tide they got flooded and shorted out, I've since ground them off and mounted them higher up to prevent it happening again. From memory the whole kit (not including gates) was around £800.

CAME Automatic Gates UK - Swing gates

GC8 19 January 2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by HI SOOB (Post 9166022)
Cracking idea Matey.
Will get them put on and made to work in sync with the ele gate opening kit.

Thanks again. Top idea.

Pleasure; and thanks for correcting my typo... :D

GC8 19 January 2010 12:00 PM

This link should work, but if the session has timed out then type 'magnetic lock' in CPCs search box.

Clicky

GC8 19 January 2010 12:05 PM

The 'gate lock' looks nice, but its only rated at 500KGs and for the same money you can get a pair of 500KG locks...

Leslie 19 January 2010 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info GC8, never knew such a thing existed.

Les :)

Spoon 19 January 2010 12:40 PM

My electric driveway gates have a lock that works electronically when the gates are shut. It can also be manually locked via a key. Without the lock and despite the fact the gates are ornamental and not solid, and are on hydraulic rams, they can still move 'open' a little in extreme wind. The lock is important.

You still want the electric opening don't you and not just the lock? In that case companies must provide the entire kit? I've had my gates 16 years so can't really suggest who, except to say I have what I think you want in its entirety.

GC8 19 January 2010 01:25 PM

I would think that you could install the two systems separately, to run side by side. If this was your main entrance then Id agree with the above, but because it isnt then I dont think that having to flick two switches is a massive inconvenience (de-energise > operate > operate > energise)?

If need be it wouldnt be too much trouble to install a relay that would break the gate power whilst the electromagnetic locks are engaged, especially if its all low voltage: but its still practical if not.

Spoon 19 January 2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 9167010)
I would think that you could install the two systems separately, to run side by side. If this was your main entrance then Id agree with the above, but because it isnt then I dont think that having to flick two switches is a massive inconvenience (de-energise > operate > operate > energise)?

If need be it wouldnt be too much trouble to install a relay that would break the gate power whilst the electromagnetic locks are engaged, especially if its all low voltage: but its still practical if not.

No I agree but was just pointing out a complete kit for the lot should be available to save building kits up.

Anyway I'll raise you. Remote control the magnetic locks too. :thumb: I had this system ready for my kennel block so I could release the hounds from the house if I had to put them away for visitors.