ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   misfuling (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/810911-misfuling.html)

niko001 18 January 2010 09:06 PM

misfuling

Hey guys!
I have a serious problem, here. My girlfriend put some gas in my diesel car yesterday. Then she came home (about 5 miles). I haven't started my car yet, what should I do? Should I call a tow service and call my mechanic, or can I take my car there? If she managed to came home, is there a possibility that everything will be just fine and I don't need to bother with a mechanic? :wonder:

rifleman 18 January 2010 09:10 PM

top the car right to the brim with diesel and run it til it clears.then get new diesel filter and a diesel system cleaner fill the filter with it and then top up with diesel again to clear system out.done loads of times in garage i used to work at.you can get away with putting petrol in a diesel but not diesel in a petrol car.

mje_wrx 18 January 2010 09:11 PM

id get it drainned, new fuel filter, and fresh fuel.

rookymatt 18 January 2010 09:12 PM

Dont start it. Most diesel fuel systems use the oil in diesel fuel to lubricate themselves, if petrol is in there instead it is possibly the most opposite thing the fuel system needs!!! it will cause damage. Get the car towed to a garage, have the tank drained and the fuel filter replaced. then totally filll the car with diesel.

gallois 18 January 2010 09:13 PM

dont drive it, petrol can fcuk the diesel pump as the pump uses diesel to lubricate itself, petrol is a solvent and will strip the lubrication. it needs to be drained. if she got it 5miles home, then it must be running a diluted mix. tank needs to be drained, refulled with diesel, and hopefully no damage.

gallois 18 January 2010 09:14 PM

damn, took me 3 mins to type that

rifleman 18 January 2010 10:11 PM

it all depends on how much she put in.if its a tenner then just top up with diesel if it £40 then get it drained.

mje_wrx 18 January 2010 10:52 PM

most new diesels have high pressure pumps which require, the lubricant from diesel. if petrol goes in, kills pump. alot of money to replace.

joz8968 18 January 2010 11:11 PM

Strange - my boss did this last Friday! Luckily he only travelled about 200yds from the pet stn to the car park. He was 'lucky' as it only needeed to be pumped back out professionally. Took about an hour to do! Relieved him of £180!

Is the professional pumping of petrol out of a diesel car a 'scam' then'? Is it NOT actually necessary?

joz8968 18 January 2010 11:12 PM

lol

Didn't scroll down beyond 2nd post before I posted. :rolleyes:

jani_o 19 January 2010 04:31 PM

The same thing happened to my mom a few months ago... you should really drain the tank. That's what I did and I had no problems. And I also put a special misfuelling protection on so she won't make the same mistake again :D
good luck

joz8968 19 January 2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jani_o (Post 9167333)
...And I also put a special misfuelling protection on so she won't make the same mistake again :D

Yeah, the protection being: don't let dufuses fill up! :lol1:

niko001 20 January 2010 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9167416)
Yeah, the protection being: don't let dufuses fill up! :lol1:

haha, yeah, that must me the best one :) but what other protections are you talking about? maybe that's not such a bad solution for her :)
anyway, I drained my tank it looks like there won't be any problems. thanks for the advices

jani_o 20 January 2010 06:24 PM

glad to hear that the car's ok
well, there are several protections I found on the web which are perfect for people who don't think while tanking :D Try - SoloDiesel (Diesel Engine Protector) or Stop Diesel Misfuelling | Diesel Misfuelling Prevention Device