ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   PS3, Wii or X Box (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/810848-ps3-wii-or-x-box.html)

r32 18 January 2010 04:49 PM

PS3, Wii or X Box

Which would you go for or which do you recommend? Why?

Xx-IAN-xX 18 January 2010 05:00 PM

3-2-1 You are now entering the computer section :D

PS3 Awaits the Xbox fanboys:D

urban 18 January 2010 05:11 PM

Wii's just for a bit of light hearted fun (I've got one)

I use PS3 for games and wireless streaming and its great for both

M444GY 18 January 2010 05:14 PM

ps3

the wii gets boring after a while

J4CKO 18 January 2010 05:24 PM

Leave it here for a bit, nobody really goes into the computing section and consoles arent exactly computers.

We have had all three, sold the Wii as my kids never used it, they are three boys aged 10 to 14 and they just like COD MW2, on the Xbox as their mates have it on that so thats a big part of it, online is definitely better on the 360, the PS3 is a much nicer bit of kit with its slinky, shiny case (on the original), Blu Ray and its much much quieter and it seems a bit more reliable, that said the current (third) Xbox has been hammered and the PS3 has had an easy life.

I would say get an Xbox soley for gaming, a PS3 if you want to do Blu Ray as well as the gaming but ask your mates what they have and then base most of the decision on that, as the online aspect is key.

For me the Wii is for younger kids, non gamers and grannies most of the time, or parties where much beer is involved for the more target 16 - 35 hardcore gamers.

Another aspect is the franchises, some only make it to one platform, like Forze on the Xbox and the GT series on the PS2, not that a PS3 series version apart from the woeful prologues has appeared, also it pays to read reviews on each platform, the last GTA was crap on the PS3 and a much better on the Xbox (I had both versions), the PS3 sometimes gets left behind a bit and to the unintiated it looks like its the lower powered machine, not true, its the machine that gets the ropey or unenhanced ports that dont use all its power, its capable of more than the 360 but it isnt getting anything any better as its easire to do one version, one set of textures and use them on both, have a look at Uncharted 2 for a game that uses the horsepower, looks really nice but not a deal breaker.

On balance, if you are just going to have the one machine, then it should be a 360.

kingofturds 18 January 2010 05:29 PM

I'd go for the xbox and I have had all 3 consoles. The controller just seems much better than the ps3, also xbox live seems much more polished than the ps3's live effort.

JPL 18 January 2010 05:44 PM

PS3. Online store now has movies to either rent or buy. Loads of free demos to download, wireless, quiet, blu ray player and it looks nicer sitting with the rest of your AV kit

Course if your mates all have an Xbox then you'd be mad to choose Sony, if not, then PS3 all the way.

Bravo2zero_sps 18 January 2010 05:56 PM

The people you need to listen to most are those who have had all 3, the others are just fanboys and will argue all day long the one they have is best ;)

I echo Jacko's comments above, again having all 3. The Wii only gets used when friends/family round and play for a laugh.

The PS3 I think has shinier graphics and prefer some of the multi platfom games on this rather than the 360, Fifa and Pro Evo being the main ones. It has its downsides with the installs and updates for games taking far more time than the 360's updates. However the PS3 has wireless and rechargeable handsets included, for the 360 you have to buy them as extras. Of course it is also a Blueray player which is one of the reasons my wife bought it for me when I already had 2 x 360's and a Wii.

The 360 doesn't look anywhere as nice sitting under your TV and I prefer the smaller handsets of the PS3 however as an out and out games machine the 360 wins. Live is miles better than the PS3 equivalent but you have to pay for it. The 360 is also better for streaming media wirelessly in my expeience, it has never hung up on me where as the PS3 has hung on wireless streaming countless times. They are both next to each other in the lounge and so not distance related from the router.

If I had to choose one i'd keep the 360 but it would be a difficult choice and i'd miss the PS3.

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 06:10 PM

Xbox 360 elite for me :D.

I use it more as a multi media player though. It is connected to the network and I can (well I could) use it for web browsing or accessing my external hard drive that is in the study. It is pretty good for streaming video and music, and we can view a our massive collection of family pics in a flash.

Now and again I use it for gaming, but not so much since I was banned from x box live!!!

bootsy 18 January 2010 06:19 PM

none.play games on a pc:thumb:much better and you can use 360 controller on some games.crysis still rocks:thumb:

Jamescsti 18 January 2010 06:39 PM

I would say xbox360, and - own a wii. The wii has some great adult games including COD MW which is fantastic especially online. RES4 and haunted mountian to name just 3. I could go on but if it was just for me my cash would be on the xbox but as the mrs likes to use it too the Wii is a good option I've had it 2 years and still use it almost daily

PaulC72 18 January 2010 06:42 PM

I have voted for the PS3 however I also think the Wii deserves a vote, it is a different system designed for different game types (to a degree) with I suppose a different client in mind (also to a degree)
I cannot comment on the Xbox as I don't have one :) but I would imagine it falls in the same area as the PS3

MickWrx 18 January 2010 06:46 PM

I can't really comment on xbox the Wii is as said for a younger audience IMO

I have a ps3 and it is worth the money simply for playing media on the tv, I pulled all my films and photo's onto a portable hard drive plug it into the PS and you have some seriously quick processing speed for looking at images in albums and watching films not to mention blu ray.

Trout 18 January 2010 07:01 PM

PS3 for me

Wii for the kids...

...and Wii Fit for the nanny :norty:

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9165539)
PS3 for me

Wii for the kids...

.... The Nanny?

Trout 18 January 2010 07:06 PM

Yes, we have a nanny!!

You can probably even find pics of her on my Facebook page from my holidays ;)

Rob_Impreza99 18 January 2010 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 9165268)

I would say get an Xbox soley for gaming, a PS3 if you want to do Blu Ray as well as the gaming but ask your mates what they have and then base most of the decision on that, as the online aspect is key.

On balance, if you are just going to have the one machine, then it should be a 360.

That was exactly my view when looking for a gaming system, i bought the X Box 360 and havn`t regretted it one bit. Its each to their own really, get what suits your needs.

J4CKO 18 January 2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9165539)
PS3 for me

Wii for the kids...

Whats with the smiley, has she a nice au-pair on her ?

GC8 18 January 2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 9165268)
Leave it here for a bit, nobody really goes into the computing section and consoles arent exactly computers.

We have had all three, sold the Wii as my kids never used it, they are three boys aged 10 to 14 and they just like COD MW2, on the Xbox as their mates have it on that so thats a big part of it, online is definitely better on the 360, the PS3 is a much nicer bit of kit with its slinky, shiny case (on the original), Blu Ray and its much much quieter and it seems a bit more reliable, that said the current (third) Xbox has been hammered and the PS3 has had an easy life.

For me the Wii is for younger kids, non gamers and grannies most of the time, or parties where much beer is involved for the more target 16 - 35 hardcore gamers.

Another aspect is the franchises, some only make it to one platform, like Forze on the Xbox and the GT series on the PS2, not that a PS3 series version apart from the woeful prologues has appeared, also it pays to read reviews on each platform, the last GTA was crap on the PS3 and a much better on the Xbox (I had both versions), the PS3 sometimes gets left behind a bit and to the unintiated it looks like its the lower powered machine, not true, its the machine that gets the ropey or unenhanced ports that dont use all its power, its capable of more than the 360 but it isnt getting anything any better as its easire to do one version, one set of textures and use them on both, have a look at Uncharted 2 for a game that uses the horsepower, looks really nice but not a deal breaker.

To this I would add that the PS3 games seem to be a good deal cheaper, in many cases. Id still buy an XBox360 though...

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9165553)
Yes, we have a nanny!!

You can probably even find pics of her on my Facebook page from my holidays ;)

Lucky you.

I don't blame you though, much better than 'most' private nurseries.

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 9165597)
Whats with the smiley, has she a nice au-pair on her ?

I do believe that Trout already has a lovely pair of in house boobies. ;)

Trout 18 January 2010 07:49 PM

So you have seen the my recent Facebook pics then ;)

I would say that I have a full house as far that goes...

...but I fear we are wandering off topic ;)

stilover 18 January 2010 07:54 PM

360 every time. Currently playing Forza Motorsport 3. Kicks the sh!t out of Grand Turismo. Plus Halo is just the best game. Love it.

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9165651)
So you have seen the my recent Facebook pics then ;)

I would say that I have a full house as far that goes...

...but I fear we are wandering off topic ;)

Oh yes I have :D. And I am sorry for wondering off topic. :)

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 9165665)
360 every time. Currently playing Forza Motorsport 3. Kicks the sh!t out of Grand Turismo. Plus Halo is just the best game. Love it.

I agree Forza is great, maybe I need to spend less time on here, and get the games back out.

Trout 18 January 2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 9165677)
Oh yes I have :D.

I know you like nice pictures of the female form ;)

TopBanana 18 January 2010 08:28 PM

360 for the serious gamer, Wii for younger kids or families

stilover 18 January 2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 9165685)
I agree Forza is great, maybe I need to spend less time on here, and get the games back out.

I have a GameRacer. Makes car games 100 times better. :thumb:

Hysteria1983 18 January 2010 08:51 PM

I have to make sure that the kids have their toys first. lol.

Geezer 18 January 2010 09:07 PM

I have all 3, and in order of preference......

PS3
Xbox
Wii.

That said, the best one is the one that

a) mostof the people you want to play online with have
b) has the exclusive games you want
c) is the most asthetically pleasing!

On performance, online play etc. there ain't much to chooose between Xbox and PS3, Wii is weakest on that front, but that said, has some good online fun.

Wii is at the end of it's life cycle, the other two still have big development potential.

If you need some sort of streaming, then the Wii is out of the equation.

TBH, you probably won't be disappointed with any of them.

Geezer