ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Designing a new garage. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/810785-designing-a-new-garage.html)

Dingdongler 18 January 2010 09:34 AM

Designing a new garage.

Hello.

My garage had a bodge job on its roof, which now has leaked really badly. I'm thinking of knocking it down and having it rebuilt, I can then move it a bit so I could also have a side extension at some time in the future.

It will have to keep a flat roof, if I raise it, I may have to seek planning permission.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what one might want to add to a modern garage to make it useable as possible? Would brick be better, or breeze block and then rendered?

Thanks

hutton_d 18 January 2010 09:38 AM

If it was mine I'd make sure it was as well insulated, and heated, as the rest of the house (assuming your house is well insulated and heated ... :thumb: ). Not so the car gets a nice toasty garage but so that if you have to work in it then you'll be nice and toasty. As someone who likes to mess around with bikes and cars I would love a heated garage!

So, cavity walls, etc etc. Maybe think about a pit whilst you're at it?

Dave

r32 18 January 2010 09:43 AM

Make sure you have sufficient room for a work bench and are able to use it with your car in it.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 18 January 2010 10:16 AM

& light... Both top and sides

Also enough power points!

Puff The Magic Wagon! 18 January 2010 10:19 AM

Also, it's best you speak to your local planning officer to see what actually you can do with regards moving it and it's height, you may be able to get in a pitched or raised side roof without needing to apply. You don't want to move it to have some smart-alec complain & planning causing you grief...

hutton_d 18 January 2010 11:03 AM

Don't forget room for the beer fridge!! :thumb:

The comment about 'room to work' with the car there is spot on. I hate the fact that *most* single garages these days hardly let you open the car doors let alone work on the thing. If you can go 'double' then do it.

Oh, and use a roller door not an 'up and over' More room and it'll probably seal better.

Dave

the_msp 18 January 2010 01:24 PM

For speed and insulation I would consider Beco Wallform ICF System - Insulating Concrete Formwork System

Dingdongler 18 January 2010 02:32 PM

Thanks.

I will speak to the planning office about the roof, I only need to move it forward a foot, to allow the side extension.

I can't fit anywhere near a double garage, and it will not really take my car (5 series) so really will be for storage. It's plenty long enough, but just doesn't have the width.

In terms of heating, just normal rads?

In terms of lighting, just normal tube lights?

Am I allowed to have a gas supply in there?

Thanks