ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Do exhaust baffles affect performance? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/810568-do-exhaust-baffles-affect-performance.html)

eggy790 16 January 2010 10:09 PM

Do exhaust baffles affect performance?

as above

had my first complaint/hint about the noisy exhaust today from a neighbour.

thinking of putting it in.

any negatives?

cheers

joz8968 16 January 2010 10:23 PM

By "baffles" I take it you mean a noise-restricting 'bung' that fit in the end of the tailpipe?

If so, and from a logical point of view, they have a small opening, so this will back-up the gases i.e. slow them down from exiting the system. This means the engine is not getting air in and out as fast as it would if it didn't have the bung, so some power should defo be lost. How much - or whether it's tangible - don't know.

Bungs could have a worrying effect of raising EGTs though (if originally mapped W/O the bung in place)...

eggy790 16 January 2010 10:31 PM

cheers for that, yeh the bung is what i am referring too

and yeah it was mapped without the bung in place, i'll leave it a while, and try not to use it if i know ill be home late, i'll use the other car.

joz8968 16 January 2010 10:35 PM

lol

I had my neighbour complain too. It was about 11.30pm and I was idling the motor to cool the turbo and he stuck his head out the window (woke him up, I think) and he offered, "Do you love your engine or something?!..." LOL

eggy790 16 January 2010 10:38 PM

lol mine was 11.30 yesterday too

lol and i came up the road and popped the exhaust as i went passed him and then let it idle for a minute or so , dont think he was impressed after the lil chat today lol

joz8968 16 January 2010 10:40 PM

snigger

fcuk'em lol

eggy790 16 January 2010 10:42 PM

lol it'll be reet,

he'll live, i'll await another complaint before i put a baffle in.

Mrchips 16 January 2010 10:50 PM

Had neighbour moan also, oh well, bollocks.

richie001 16 January 2010 11:19 PM

I got the same problem and was thinking about replacing the H&S de-res center section with a center pipe with resonator.

joz8968 16 January 2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by richie001 (Post 9162282)
I got the same problem and was thinking about replacing the H&S de-res center section with a center pipe with resonator.

For Xmas, you should've 'secret Santa'd' your neighbour with a set of festive woollen ear muffs! :lol1:

midnight 16 January 2010 11:42 PM

Yes baffles do effect performance,just got in and fitted mine before i went out at 1020 this evening,car is not slow ,but does not pull as strong with baffle in.My neighbours are all over 60+ and i have an old peoples home opposite so at night i use the baffle .

joz8968 16 January 2010 11:46 PM

midnight, I bet you're popular in your street lol

956curtis 16 January 2010 11:47 PM

i have complaints about my exhaust all the time so put a bung in and it seems to run better with it in and has knocked the noise down alot.i still get complaints about it with bung in and just tell them u can live with it this loud or the bungs coming out and it soons shuts them up

Rob Day 17 January 2010 12:13 AM

Im in the same boat. Looking for a backbox now @ 3" connection to centre. Mine is far to noisey, even for me!!!

5am starting car to defrost windscreen not a good idea lol

joz8968 17 January 2010 12:26 AM

We're all getting old :( lol

mje_wrx 17 January 2010 12:34 AM

my neighbour compainted about mine when i was working in garage with engine running but door open, he stood shouting at me. the exhaust was facing the door and i was under bonnet. so i just revved it up a lil to drown him out. he soon go the picture and walked off. no hassle since. some ppl, no matter what u do they never happy. so i make myself happy.

midnight 17 January 2010 07:53 AM

Joz8968,honestly I have not had 1 single complaint,if I leave early in the morning,I just push the bung in and coz it is tight it stays put ,when I get out of the street I simply pull it out- takes 5 secs.
However went back out last night and left it screwed in , on the way home this morning 1 noticeable thing is : car does not pop & bang at all with the bung in ,which takes some getting use to lol

Slowboy Racing 17 January 2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 9162152)
as above

had my first complaint/hint about the noisy exhaust today from a neighbour.

thinking of putting it in.

any negatives?

cheers

Its not a problem to drive with the bung in even if the car has been mapped without, just keep to light load cruising no racing :). You will feel the restriction if you try and push the car which is telling you its a no no.

rifleman 17 January 2010 10:08 AM

i moved into new house that shares private driveway with 2 other houses on a friday 5 months ago then on the sat bought my scooby......as i got out of it for the first time after buying it my old fart of a neighbour came over and said i have to change the exhaust for a quiet one......since then had months of greif about me cleaning car in driveway etc...wait til i get my motocrossbike and jetski this summer.that will shut her up...

joz8968 17 January 2010 12:12 PM

Lawfully, so long as the exhaust is at or below the DVLA's/govt's drive-by dB test (IS it? ;) :D lol), then neighbours can complain all they want - you're doing nothing 'wrong'.

So long as you're not being an unreasonable pillock by revving the car unnecessarily - and so disturbing the peace (probably) - as you approach your parking space, then they can go stuff themselves IMO.

eggy790 17 January 2010 12:22 PM

what is govt drive by decible test though?

joz8968 17 January 2010 12:32 PM

Oh dear - it's not looking good :(:-

VCAcarfueldata.org.uk - Cars and Noise

That said, doesn't the offficial test involve a vehicle driving (at X mph) past a static standing tester (at Y meters/yards away) with a professional calibrated SLM??

Don't know what the figures are for X and Y though, and what dB level that would extrapolate to if you were next to the car (as per "the disgruntled neighbour" scenario lol).... :(

eggy790 17 January 2010 01:13 PM

lol thats me out

mines around 101db

joz8968 17 January 2010 01:24 PM

Cripes!

Mind, mine isn't far off...